Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Outstanding weather in the NE US. Imagine if you had the money and time, the kind of weather you could see in one year in the US. Live anywhere on the Canadian border all along the north coast from November - March. Then in April you could move down to tornado alley and go chasing from April until early June. Then off down to Florida from June to the end of August for Thunderstorm season and a trip to disney. Looks like it may be get a slight push in terms of accumulation totals later today too, especially of the low deepends quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Arrived at the house in NH for a few days, the caretaker has raked a fair amount of snow off the roof and cleared the surrounds. Currently a winter storm watch in place, although as we're a fair way from the coast here we're only expecting 4-8 inches on top of the approx 36 inches that are lying currently. The main issue here is going to be the wind whipping up lying snow, as well as wind chill. We've got advisories in place for frostbite with winds of 30-40 mph and temps as low as -30C. Going to be fun, and if I can post some pics I will (although I have to use a cafe with wifi in a neighbouring town as I have no internet or mobile coverage at the house).

ps, I flew into Manchester airport in New Hampshire, the piles of snow down there (closer to the coast) are enormous!

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Arrived at the house in NH for a few days, the caretaker has raked a fair amount of snow off the roof and cleared the surrounds. Currently a winter storm watch in place, although as we're a fair way from the coast here we're only expecting 4-8 inches on top of the approx 36 inches that are lying currently. The main issue here is going to be the wind whipping up lying snow, as well as wind chill. We've got advisories in place for frostbite with winds of 30-40 mph and temps as low as -30C. Going to be fun, and if I can post some pics I will (although I have to use a cafe with wifi in a neighbouring town as I have no internet or mobile coverage at the house).

ps, I flew into Manchester airport in New Hampshire, the piles of snow down there (closer to the coast) are enormous!

LOL only 4-8 inches, bet most snow starved UK folk would bite your arm off for a fall like that!

The weathers so boring here!

Posted

A poor winter in New England is still a lot colder and snowier than our best ones but the current conditions are extreme in places.

Bangor, Maine  tied their max. snow depth, 53" a couple of day's ago and currently under a dangerous blizzard watch, up to 24" more snow, gale force winds and temps way way way below zero. Incredible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Its official now that Boston has had its snowiest February of all time with 46 inchs of snow(nearly 4 feet!!) and it is still snowing there this morning. I think they have had over 80 inchs of snow this winter and we still have 13 days of winter left(time for a couple more storms which currently are quite possible).I think there all time record is about 106 inchs so they may not beat that record but think it will be in Top 3 of all time snowiest winters that go back to 1889.These figures are quite staggering and this coming week are going to bring life threatening cold as well.Now I like the snow and cold but it is at times like this that I am glad we don't have those extremes. Lets be honest if we got 6 inchs of snow this country pretty much grinds to a halt lol 

Posted

Check out the Greenbay Sounding! The tropopause is down near 710mb! Lowest I've seen at this lat! (credit L Bosart)

Having said that check out the Chanhassen sounding although I think I see the point he's making as there is no 'second' tropopause on the Greenbay sounding.

post-12275-0-77493400-1423999491_thumb.g

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Check that TWC stream out...if this wasn't enough. We have another storm Tuesday night for places further south, but these could deliver something again in the NE over Tuesday/Wednesday. Looks good for the mid south and the mid atlantic.

http://www.weather.com/tv/the-weather-channel-live/video/watch-the-weather-channel-live

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Boston has already had its snowiest month on record (42.3 inches so far) with more snow to come

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/31479864

some pics of the snow - http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/14/us/weather-winter-storm/

Posted

Arctic blast across U.S. will make the 'polar vortex' winter look tame

Frigid air is blasting southeastward from the Arctic, destined to turn all of the U.S. east of the Rockies — with the potential exception of South Florida — an icebox for the next week or more. This cold snap will be longer in duration and more severe than what the country experienced in January of 2014, when the term "polar vortex" caught fire on social media.

Like the 2014 event, this one has its origins in the far north, with a filament of the polar vortex breaking off and slipping south, like a prisoner breaking out of jail. Such events are relatively common, but this one will bring some of the coldest temperatures in decades to parts of the country.

http://mashable.com/2015/02/15/arctic-blast-outdoes-polar-vortex/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I can't help but wonder if this severe US cold will spawn some intense storms for the UK.

Well we're already seeing what those warm waters off shore do to snow amounts as it circulates the low so plenty of energy there? maybe another run of 'bulls eye' lows in store for us in the UK?

Isn't March supposed to 'come in like a Lion!'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I can't help but wonder if this severe US cold will spawn some intense storms for the UK.

Yep I was thinking the same GFS 06z shows a deep low passing just north of Scotland this time next week Gales or severe Gales probable from that low in Scotland if it comes off

gfs-0-168.png?6

Posted

Well we're already seeing what those warm waters off shore do to snow amounts as it circulates the low so plenty of energy there? maybe another run of 'bulls eye' lows in store for us in the UK?

Isn't March supposed to 'come in like a Lion!'?

Another quote from Dr Mann who"s wrong. again Look at the temps during this snow blitz, the water vapor, pw.sst you have no case ,B9642qeCEAEyxqZ.jpg

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Brutal is only word to use B99f5lrIEAAvIJ2.jpg

Love this, maybe us next year ??

http://www.weather.com/news/weather/video/thundersnow-surprises-cantore

Edited by stewfox