Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Thanks for the update.

Looks like my relations in New York will soon be seeing the white stuff :)

Looks like Eastern Long Island and up towards Boston to be honest. The exact path of the low is still uncertain, but Eastern LI is high odds with points further West having lower odds.

I took loads of pictures of the snow as I don't ever remember seeing snow like that (I only moved here from Nottingham 4 years ago). Now its just cold cold cold....yesterday the high was -9c and the low -20c!!!

Still got 13 inches of snow on the ground after I recorded a total of 14.8 inches in Friday's storm. Possibility of an inch or two more Tuesday night.

Posted

some sad news though

At least 13 people are dead as snowstorms whipped across US states from Texas to Michigan on December 1st.

The Associated Press reports that 450 millimetres (18 inches) of snow has fallen in some parts, forcing the closure of airports and schools.

Robert Merrihew, 61, was killed in the state of New York as the storm blew a tree into his flat, while the National Guard has been mobilised in some regions to help with the effects of the weather.

A nursing home roof also collapsed in the storm, injuring four people but with no deaths, thanks to a prompt evacuation at the first sounds of danger.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Not sure if anyone has seen the satalite image from the latest storm in the USA, but check this image out.. Cool snow storm..

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHa...p3?img_id=14004

Posted

After two consecutive below average months, November was particularly mild:

post-1957-1165358099.gif

Quite a contrast from both October and the start of December!

Posted

Today is the first really cold day in New York. I've just been out for a walk, and the wind is howling!

Current conditions are 23oF (@-5oC) with a wind chill of 9oF (@-12oC). The wind is from the NW at 26mph, gusting up to 50mph. I can honestly say that it feels colder than it did in Chicago when the temperature was 13oF (@-10oC) under still skies.

Still, the temperature at 850hPA is currently about -18oC. This is forecast to move away quite quickly and we're back to the warmer conditions for a while. Temperatures are expected to recover to 6oC tomorrow and 11oC on Sunday, so a brief if sharp cold snap.

The picture is the same across the country. Chicago looks to have a week of above freezing temperatures, so when I travel there on Sunday I expect to see slushy snow. A maximum temperature of 9oC on Tuesday will probably feel balmy seeing as they have barely climbed above freezing for a week now!

Posted

Thanks for the update wf.

Looks like snow is also at a premium stateside sofar this Winter.

My relatives are hoping to see some snow in ny soon

Nothing on the horizon for a while! The trend seems to be for quite active and relatively mild weather for the forseeable future. The North East has been particulalry bereft of snow so far this autumn/early winter. Having said that, New York City tends to see snow a little later than they do upstate anyway. The main snow season runs from January to March, much like the UK, albeit witha higher probability!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Still a fairly bleak picture for winter across the US. The odds of a white Christmas in places like Minneapolis, Wisconsin and Michigan are fairly high. This year however, it's simply too warm.

Starting in Minneapolis; in winter, most precipitation is of snow. For this reason they have 'skywalks' so that you don't freeze your butt off walking around! Looking at the current temps, I see it is about 2oC with the chance of a rain/snow mix. Looking forward, the next potential ice-day is not until the 29th. The average maximum for this time of year? -3oC. The ensembles are showing a cooldown, but -10 air at this time of year is nothing!

post-1957-1166791757_thumb.png

New York looks even more bleak. Some very mild air pushing through being drawn up from the south. So far the jet has killed winter for the North East!

post-1957-1166791892_thumb.png

Posted

This map will update, so my comments are based on the actual map at 00z 25 Dec and the current models.

www.weatherimages.org/data/imag21.html

A juicy storm is developing in the central Gulf, moving towards eastern Lake Erie by the night of 26-27 December. Snowfall of 5-10 inches possible tothe northwest of its track especially AR, MO, w TN-KY, IL, WI and MI. Severe storms in the path of the cold front southeast states, and near-record warmth into mid-Atlantic states and northeast. Highs there 14-17 C.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

hey guys... Sorry to hijack the thread (in a way - not sure if there's another thread about this), xmas day for me is now called TWISTMAS!!

Had a F2 tornado come traight over the top of daytona beach airport here in florida, it annihalated Embry Riddle Aeronautical Uni's flight line (only 2 planes untouched) half their buildings had major damage, and the maintainence hanger was totally destroyed.

After it hit the airport, it came over the top of my apartment complex and totally destroyed about 8 apartment blocks, we were lucky (me & my fiancee) we just suffered a broken window. but the tornado came over the top of our block and touched down in the carpark before destrying the others.

here's some links to the news stories..... The same twister annihalated a couple of trailer parks not far from here too..

http://www.news-journalonline.com/special/...storms/gallery/

Posted

Mods - i don't know if this is the right thread so please move if required.

Sounds as if Mid US is getting a hammering. I don't want to be flippant or understate the seriousness of what they're experiencing but I'd love 1/10 of what they're getting at the moment!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6224345.stm

Edited by Robbie
Found a new home for the post

Posted

Just checked the NOAA Spc site and 3 quite Powerfull Tornadoes recently in Louisiana, looks like a Trailor Park has been hit, 1 Fatality, 3 Children Missing :unknw: And tens of people Hospitalized. NOT A good start to the year for Fatal Tornadoes.

Paul Sherman

Posted

Severe Weather has moved further east today, with 2 Tornadoes reported in South Carolina, Strange report from one of the Nados has left 4 people injured and 8 Cars Piled on top of each other. Yesterdays Tornado count was 6 and unfortunately 3 or 4 people lost their lives, This season is starting out like last years.

Paul Sherman

Posted

Here in the East, the unbelievable mildness continues. Temperature in New York today was about 63oF (17oC) with tomorrow forecast to touch 70oF (21oC). These are both daily high temperatures, with the highest ever for a January day being 72oF (22oC). Another record which will be broken is the date for the latest snowfall. The current record is January 6th 1892; that is, the latest date for recorded snow in the winter season. Given the temperatures tomorrow (6th) I think this will be comfortably broken! A slight cooldown is forecast for midweek with temperatures maxing at about 37oF (3oC) on Wednesday, but I'd be surprised if we saw any snow. Looking further ahead, there is a hint of some cooler temperatures moving into the Montana and North Dakota regions next week, but there is wide scatter in the ensembles. So far, this has been a blowtorch winter for the East coast.

As for the midwest, current temperatures have also been above average. Snow has fallen in parts of the Midwest from the storm moving in from the Rockies, but temperatures have still been above average. I'm really hoping for a pattern change, but at the moment January is looking like a write-off for the same reasons as in the UK: a flat jetstream...

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

we've been under a tornado watch for most of the night, but luckily nothing. had a few bits of semi hard rain. but nothing major.... the tornadoes they had in louisiana were bad. worse than the one here. i think the last news report i saw was 7 in like 3 hours or something like that.

Posted

The NCDC have released the data for December and it highlights just how warm December was over here. The overall chart looks like this:

post-1957-1168380746_thumb.png

The chart shows that some areas, particularly to the North, recorded temperatures 8-10oF (4-5oC) above average.

By state:

post-1957-1168380777_thumb.png

Looking at the chart, five states recorded their warmest December on record:

Minnesota, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut.

The annual chart shows that 36 of the lower 48 states recorded temperatures 'Much Above Normal' by the NCDC definition, with the remaining 12 recording 'Above Normal'. All in all, a very mild year. Not sure where it ranks overall at the moment, but when I find the data I'll report back...

post-1957-1168381206_thumb.png

Posted

A classic Lake Effect Snow pattern in place tonight and tomorrow. Winds from the west picking up moisture over Lakes Erie and Ontario and producing snow. The orientation is not quite ideal for Erie, hence less potential for Western New York, but the set up is pretty good for Lake Ontario, so a well defined streamer is setting up to the North of Syracuse:

post-1957-1168391799_thumb.jpg

Posted

Will post this on the more appropriate Canadian winter thread, but a severe storm is rapidly developing across western Canada tonight (9-10 Jan) -- low tracking ESE from near Kamloops in central BC towards Regina SK by morning and south of Winnipeg MB by evening Wednesday will bring a severe blizzard 15-30 cm snow and -20 C or lower temps, -40 C wind chills, to much of the prairies tomorrow (later today UK time). Temporary chinook conditions in warm sector will shield southern Alberta from the first part of the storm but all regions will be into the deep freeze by afternoon.

Vancouver had yet another damaging wind storm this afternoon as a cold front dropped temps from 10 C at 2 pm to 1 C at 5 pm (winds were WNW 70-100 km/hr). More large trees came down in this storm, which the local media say is the 14th storm of the winter season, although probably the fifth or sixth major wind event. Interior valleys now being blasted by strong channeled W to NNW winds and mountain highways being closed by avalanche or blowing snow hazards.

This low is probably the seeding for strong low pressure showing up in the western Atlantic by this weekend.

Posted

I'm pleased to report that a quick glance at the lampost outside my hotel room in Albany, NY has revealed some snow falling. Some of the Lake Effect Snow has made it this far!

Just seen on TWC that Big Moose, way up in the Adirondacks has received 19 inches since Monday night. Just goes to show the impact of Lake effect Snow...

Current doppler radar:

post-1957-1168409598_thumb.jpg

Look at that finger of snow heading for Albany; all those nights back in Reading hoping that a little speck of white will make it West of Heathrow? Pah! No worries!

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

So, we finally have the cold air arriving for the Eastern US (barring any late changes!). What is the outlook for snow? Current charts are pointing towards a possible developing event next week:

post-1957-1168460115_thumb.png

At the moment this looks like affecting Virginia an North Carolina, but looking at the Eastern US messageboards, there is a lot of talk about the high SSTs off the East Coast and how this may alter the areas affected significantly and also allow for stronger cyclogenesis. Clearly this chart is 180hrs away, but the possibilities are there...

Posted

Freezing rain currently falling here in Albany NY, but the temperature is on the rise so we should see traditional rain soon.

A huge ice storm is brewing for the Midwest. Some forecasts are going for half an inch of ice or more as a cold front stalls for a couple of days in a line from Detroit back through the Midwest to Oklahoma and Northern Texas. Could be very nasty with widespread power outages and trees coming down. Will update later after work.

Posted

Freezing rain currently falling here in Albany NY, but the temperature is on the rise so we should see traditional rain soon.

A huge ice storm is brewing for the Midwest. Some forecasts are going for half an inch of ice or more as a cold front stalls for a couple of days in a line from Detroit back through the Midwest to Oklahoma and Northern Texas. Could be very nasty with widespread power outages and trees coming down. Will update later after work.

Is the cold spell still on for next week in ny whitefox?

Posted

In general, I think the frontal zone will now shift a little further south from the northern Great Lakes where it was most of the past two months, to the eastern seaboard, as a deeper trough develops over the Rockies. This has allowed seasonably cold arctic air to occupy most of the western half of the continent now, although the high is eroding and has detached from a stronger high over the Beaufort Sea. The most anomalous cold is actually close to where I am, -8 C being about 10 degrees below normal for here.

Would expect the storm track to run from Arizona to Okahoma and then PA-NJ to near or just south of NYC and Cape Cod in this pattern, but it may rebound north agian later.

This slightly milder wedge moving across the northeast today is the weak remant of the powerful storm that we were talking about in western Canada on Tuesday into Wednesday. The cold front from this will stall out from around Albany to Pittsburgh and then southwest into Tennessee and Arkansas to link up with a slowly developing low in New Mexico and west Texas over the weekend. This is indeed the classic central plains ice storm scenario with very cold air seeping in from the north underneath the Gulf moisture aloft. Worst icing likely to be across south central Missouri into south central Illinois and I could see that half inch being conservative given the long duration of this event, could see one to two inches of ice accretion in places, less as one goes northeast into Indiana and western Ohio, southeast Michigan. Sometimes storms like this send out waves and last for several days before reorganizing on the east coast, other times, they gear up and move northeast to melt the ice quite fast.