Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Yeah been a while now - where I am in Bedfordshire, just north of London, our last decent snow was 10-11..the snow came down really intensely on a Saturday afternoon. The new kept showing a Virgin plane stuck at Heathrow with the pilot waving out of the window! We had a little run from 2007-2011, but now it's back to the usual. Interesting points regarding New York, I didn't realise it was further north than the cities you mentioned, and being on the eastern side etc etc. We are a ridiculous outlier thanks to the Gulf stream and being on the western flank of Europe. We had a virtual ring of snow around us this year, from Iceland, round to Scandinavia, down through Europe, Greece and Cyprus for a while, and France and Spain.

Really, most of Europe and North Africa have well above what would be expected temperature wise for the given latitudes.  You have to go east to the steppes of Ukraine/Russia to get a more latitude appropriate climate. Without the jet the Scandinavian countries would consist of denuded tundra rather than coniferous forests.  No more English gardens and London would be more like Reykjavik.  Which is funny because growing up I always strongly associated London with snow.  It must have been all those versions of a Christmas Carol.  I assume snow in London was a far more regular occurrence during the Victorian age. 

The problem is that the snow in the NE of the USA boosts up the dreaded Jet Stream - that sends god-awful wet and windy crap to us. Can't stand it!

Well I think though there is a correlation at times there's not always a causation link to go with it.  This winter has been a year of record breaking warmth for much of the eastern 2/3rds of North America yet from what I've been seeing the UK has still been pretty wet.  Also the eastern seaboard of the US, including the boroughs of NYC, saw record smashing blizzard dumps in the winter of 2010-2011, the very same winter that was such a boon on your end.  So it's not always the case that a winter favorable for snow for one precludes the same for the other.  Although the jet and blocking events are often linked.  But there are more variables.

I think the UK needs a northerly plunge like occurred in Nov/Dec 2010.  So it's got be the right blocking set up.  The easterlies are always going to have the chance to disappoint if their advance is halted by the Atlantic flow or if there's not enough moisture to generate decent snows. The best thing of course would be to get a good run of years like you had.  Get a more favorable trend or cycle situated rather than just having one boom and a whole lotta bust to follow.

Edited by KeithinCali
quoting
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

acttemp_1280x720.jpg?v=ap&w=1280&h=720&a

Amazing contrast 

Posted

Here in Lehighton county we received approx. 9 inches. Due to the more northerly track of the storm this was way below the expected 18 to 24 inches forecasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:13, KeithinCali said:

Really, most of Europe and North Africa have well above what would be expected temperature wise for the given latitudes.  You have to go east to the steppes of Ukraine/Russia to get a more latitude appropriate climate. Without the jet the Scandinavian countries would consist of denuded tundra rather than coniferous forests.  No more English gardens and London would be more like Reykjavik.  Which is funny because growing up I always strongly associated London with snow.  It must have been all those versions of a Christmas Carol.  I assume snow in London was a far more regular occurrence during the Victorian age. 

Well I think though there is a correlation at times there's not always a causation link to go with it.  This winter has been a year of record breaking warmth for much of the eastern 2/3rds of North America yet from what I've been seeing the UK has still been pretty wet.  Also the eastern seaboard of the US, including the boroughs of NYC, saw record smashing blizzard dumps in the winter of 2010-2011, the very same winter that was such a boon on your end.  So it's not always the case that a winter favorable for snow for one precludes the same for the other.  Although the jet and blocking events are often linked.  But there are more variables.

I think the UK needs a northerly plunge like occurred in Nov/Dec 2010.  So it's got be the right blocking set up.  The easterlies are always going to have the chance to disappoint if their advance is halted by the Atlantic flow or if there's not enough moisture to generate decent snows. The best thing of course would be to get a good run of years like you had.  Get a more favorable trend or cycle situated rather than just having one boom and a whole lotta bust to follow.

Yes the snow in the UK was he 'little ice age' that was going on when Dickens was a kid (I think) so we have to put up with the snowy myth every year!

Yes Dec 10 was great - also Dec09 was good too (or at least winter 09/10). Folllowing that 8-10 inches on the Sunday night in London, we had about 5 inches on the Weds night and 6 inches the following night - it was crazy. The influence of the Gulf stream is ridiculous - stories of the sea steaming in the Norwegian fjords etc etc. The have been documentaries about the slowing of the gulf stream, icebergs in the English channel etc..

Posted

A Prolonged Series of Severe Threats—But How Severe?

As storm systems sweep across the country over the next week in classic late-March fashion, we can expect near-daily doses of severe weather over parts of the south-central and southeast United States. A parade of moderately strong upper-level lows will be pulling in a steady stream of warm and moderately moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. Most of the resulting severe weather will plow through the regions most favored for stormy conditions in early spring, from Texas and Oklahoma across the Mississippi Valley into the Southeast states. Fortunately, no sign of a major tornado outbreak is rearing its head right now.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/a-prolonged-series-of-severe-threatsbut-how-severe

Posted

An interesting overview. I rather like  the quote from Dr Cohen. Oh deary me.

Forecasts for this past winter were mostly awful. Blame the fickle Pacific Ocean.

Judah Cohen, the author of Atmospheric Environmental Research’s outlook, traced the cold waters in the Northeast Pacific to frigid air that developed over Siberia in November. “The models missed that impressive buildup of cold air in Siberia … [that then] rapidly cooled the North Pacific sea surface temperatures,” Cohen said.

The contrast between the chilled North Pacific waters and much warmer waters in the tropical Pacific helped establish the rip-roaring jet stream that ultimately collided with the California coast. “Once that temperature gradient set up in the North Pacific, the jet [stream] really came alive,” Cohen said.

For Cohen, the strong Pacific jet stream was an unexpected consequence of the rapid advance of snow in Siberia during October, which then led to the cold November. His research has shown the fast build-up of autumn snow in this region is linked to cold winters in the eastern United States. “In an ironic twist, extensive Eurasian snow cover may have actually contributed to a milder North American winter, the opposite of what I have been preaching for much of my career,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/03/28/forecasts-for-this-past-winter-were-mostly-awful-blame-the-fickle-pacific-ocean/?utm_term=.032d5e75cf74

Edited by knocker

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

This is turning into the coldest, snowiest all in all most miserable April i have experienced in Canada..so far have only recorded 2 days above 10c it has snowed on 6 of the last 7 days and im not just talking flurries or showers..over the Easter weekend it snowed for 72 hrs without a break..yesterday the weather cleared but today its back and its been snowing all day again....looking at the charts there doesnt seem to be much of a break right through into May...spring always seems to be cold and miserable in Western Canada.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Squaw Valley ski resort in California is considering staying open all summer due to snow amounts and not that long ago it was all doom and gloom due to lack of snow how things change!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I was talking to my sister in New York at the week end and their daffs are still to come out blossom is late and they have only just started getting seasonable temps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 4/18/2017 at 23:57, jonboy said:

I was talking to my sister in New York at the week end and their daffs are still to come out blossom is late and they have only just started getting seasonable temps

This winter has mostly been above average across the New York region..spring hasn't been cold either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

A snowplough is having difficulties nr Garden city,Kansas:shok:

Garry schmitt is behind it,well was

snowplough.thumb.png.a848b2a0c90f80f5072bcccef6ef435f.png

https://livestormchasing.com/map

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
On 5/2/2017 at 15:00, Andover said:

Yes some real heat in the SE states. 

Some quite severe flooding too between the cold and the heat, which will carry on for about 48 hours as moist air continues to get sucked up from the gulf of mexico.

Posted

The U.S. Likely Just Experienced Its Sixth Billion-Dollar Weather Disaster of 2017

The U.S. has likely experienced its sixth weather disaster of 2017 to have a damage price tag of a billion dollars or more following the historic flooding and damaging storms that struck the South and Midwest over the weekend.

Through the first three months of 2017, the U.S. had already tallied up five separate billion-dollar weather disasters, mostly related to damage from flooding and severe storms. That was the most number of weather events of that magnitude for the first three months of any year dating to 1980 when records began.

https://weather.com/news/weather/news/billion-dollar-disaster-midwest-south-flood-late-april-early-may-2017?cm_ven=T_WX_CD_50317_2

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

Some quite severe flooding too between the cold and the heat, which will carry on for about 48 hours as moist air continues to get sucked up from the gulf of mexico.

Yes very interesting weather !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

https://weather.com/storms/severe/video/cabin-swept-away-in-raging-flood-north

not getting any better....yet

the water now moving southwards.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway grandstands being evacuated on final practice day due to sferics associated with a line of storms heading towards the circuit.