Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Can not believe my luck. After such a poor winter in UK, I am on a business trip here in eastern PA just in time for their biggest winter storm of the season. Could very well be the biggest snowfall I have ever witnessed with amounts predicted for the area to be in the region of 18 to 24 inches. The deepest laying snow I have seen in Hertfordshire is approx. 12 inches with drifts to around 3 to 4 feet.

• Like 1

Posted

My brother is there with my niece and his wife, who is having cancer treatment in NYC.... just arrived two days ago.... know NYC are great at snow clearance from experience.... just whats- apped him from Times Square he was on the live cam right of the red steps.... on earth cam....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Double annoying for us though...jealousy factor and the fact that it means wet and windy crap for us. 

NYC is so far south...just not right. (I know the reason, no Gulf Stream etc..) :)

Posted
4 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Double annoying for us though...jealousy factor and the fact that it means wet and windy crap for us. 

NYC is so far south...just not right. (I know the reason, no Gulf Stream etc..) :)

So far south?  lol.  Relative to where you are maybe.  But remember you are the outlier not NYC.  The fact that your location doesn't receive more snow than it does given your latitude is more surprising.  NYC is further north than Beijing and Seoul.  It has got a pretty expected climate given it's latitude and continental location (west to east flow).

Speaking for myself I'm not quite as jealous of a mid march blizzard in the eastern cities.  The snow all comes at once and it will probably all be long gone next week.  Chicago is better.  They tend to accumulate their snow in smaller to medium sized events and it's more likely to stick around in March than on the eastern seaboard.  Anyway it's a bit amusing they're still getting this type of event out east after such a historically mild winter.

The UK is due for a cold/snowy winter.  It's been what 6 or 7 years?  It's going to happen sooner rather than later. Even the stubborn California drought had to release it's grip eventually.

• Like 1

Posted

5am and dozens of workers sweeping it into lines to remove completely with machinery.

Looks like dry powder which is infinitely easier to remove before it gets trampled.
There was an incident at Heathrow (?) one year when that type of snow got packed on runways and they had to resort to scraping it off with diggers.

Capture.JPG

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

For those who miss TVN chasers, there is a new platform online, launched overnight and Brett and Brandon are streaming on it: https://livestormchasing.com/map

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
32 minutes ago, RobR said:

For those who miss TVN chasers, there is a new platform online, launched overnight and Brett and Brandon are streaming on it: https://livestormchasing.com/map

Thanks for the link, will be using that heavily when the severe storms return. Love the deep south / Alabama drawl of Brett Adair and co! Apparently already 4-5" of snow across parts of New Jersey and it's only just the start of the storm before the winds pick up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.
10 hours ago, KeithinCali said:

So far south?  lol.  Relative to where you are maybe.  But remember you are the outlier not NYC.  The fact that your location doesn't receive more snow than it does given your latitude is more surprising.  NYC is further north than Beijing and Seoul.  It has got a pretty expected climate given it's latitude and continental location (west to east flow).

Speaking for myself I'm not quite as jealous of a mid march blizzard in the eastern cities.  The snow all comes at once and it will probably all be long gone next week.  Chicago is better.  They tend to accumulate their snow in smaller to medium sized events and it's more likely to stick around in March than on the eastern seaboard.  Anyway it's a bit amusing they're still getting this type of event out east after such a historically mild winter.

The UK is due for a cold/snowy winter.  It's been what 6 or 7 years?  It's going to happen sooner rather than later. Even the stubborn California drought had to release it's grip eventually.

Yeah been a while now - where I am in Bedfordshire, just north of London, our last decent snow was 10-11..the snow came down really intensely on a Saturday afternoon. The new kept showing a Virgin plane stuck at Heathrow with the pilot waving out of the window! We had a little run from 2007-2011, but now it's back to the usual. Interesting points regarding New York, I didn't realise it was further north than the cities you mentioned, and being on the eastern side etc etc. We are a ridiculous outlier thanks to the Gulf stream and being on the western flank of Europe. We had a virtual ring of snow around us this year, from Iceland, round to Scandinavia, down through Europe, Greece and Cyprus for a while, and France and Spain.

The problem is that the snow in the NE of the USA boosts up the dreaded Jet Stream - that sends god-awful wet and windy crap to us. Can't stand it!

Edited by Buzzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Anyone been watching itv news love drive through New York on facebook? Might not be as much snow as first expected but it's still snow. More than I've seen here for a number of years. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Blizzard warnings officially cancelled for NYC by the National Weather Service. Epic snows inland this morning—just not for the big cities.

The sounds of gnashing teeth can be heard

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Blizzard warnings officially cancelled for NYC by the National Weather Service. Epic snows inland this morning—just not for the big cities.

The sounds of gnashing teeth can be heard

NYC proper dodged the bullet.  Although really a few inches of snow with sleet/mix/rain on top is more dangerous than a foot for drivers and pedestrians.  The dividing line moved just enough to the west...the NAM nailed it this time.

The city didn't get hammered but a lot of the people that work there did since many of the commuting suburbs are digging out.  I don't think those along the coast will be skeptical of the warnings next time.  They've been through enough of these to know that you shrug off the forecasts at your own peril.  But even for the people in Jersey, Westchester Co, etc that got a generous dumping it will all be gone by next week, at least in the exposed areas.  Big March snows on the east coast usually are fleeting mirages...come and gone quickly enough that you're not sure if it really happened (I lived in Conn for a few years). 

Edited by KeithinCali
quote issues