Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
36 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Doesn't look bad on the camera's  just had a look. Looks like the media frenzy is over hyping it.

Once a hundred years doesn't mean it happens once a hundred years just that you've got a 1/100 chance of it happening.

Hahahahahahaha

You are obviously looking at the wrong pics, Pit!

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I'm surprised its been 100 years or so since such predicted amounts have fallen... Wasn't there an epic storm in March 1993 that was described as the storm of the century? Be interested to know what amounts fell then.

I suspect what is giving this storm kudos is its extensiveness, and the amount of people affected..

Whilst snowlovers in the UK may look in envy, snowfalls or quite significant proportions 1ft plus are quite the norm over eastern USA seaboard. The last 2 winters delivered huge cumulative totals, as storm after storm pounded the NE USA - though the synoptics were different then.

I think the snowiest part of the USA is around Buffalo, 2ft falls in one event are quite common there..

Those who think the UK never sees such falls, should look back at history. There have been numerous events with 2ft falls albeit at a local level, not sure when we last saw somewhere record such amounts, but wouldn't be surprised if it was a locality in Scotland. I might start a new post under winters of the past - seeking such stats.

Well I live and grew up in SoCal so I don't feel sorry for you either.   It's a weather black hole here.  I did however spend six years living in other parts of the country.  4 in Connecticut and the other two just outside Chicago.  We had some big dumps and nice falls in Conn. but my two winters in Chicago were brutal.  I'd say the largest fall we had there from one storm was about 13 ins.  but when it snowed it stayed for weeks, sometimes turning this disgusting brown color.  The cold in Illinois never seemed to let up.  Living there was like living in an eternal meat locker, just hoping Spring would get there sooner.  I enjoyed the winters in Conn much more.  We had some good snowfalls but also some mild interludes.   It was much more tolerable. I have family in Illinois and I have had opportunities to go back.  It will never happen.  I like snow but loathe the cold that comes with it.  But I can see myself living on the east coast and managing. 

Often times when London is depicted on TV it is snowing.  And I'm no just talking about all the versions of a Christmas Carol!  But I take it good snowfalls mainly only occur regularly in Northern England and Scotland?  From the midlands north?  During the time of Dickens I gather snowfalls were probably a more reliable occurrence.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

This looks quite bad

As does this

and this

and this

Need I go on?

This is a truly historic snowstorm. No doubt about it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I'm surprised its been 100 years or so since such predicted amounts have fallen... Wasn't there an epic storm in March 1993 that was described as the storm of the century? Be interested to know what amounts fell then.

I suspect what is giving this storm kudos is its extensiveness, and the amount of people affected..

Whilst snowlovers in the UK may look in envy, snowfalls or quite significant proportions 1ft plus are quite the norm over eastern USA seaboard. The last 2 winters delivered huge cumulative totals, as storm after storm pounded the NE USA - though the synoptics were different then.

I think the snowiest part of the USA is around Buffalo, 2ft falls in one event are quite common there..

Those who think the UK never sees such falls, should look back at history. There have been numerous events with 2ft falls albeit at a local level, not sure when we last saw somewhere record such amounts, but wouldn't be surprised if it was a locality in Scotland. I might start a new post under winters of the past - seeking such stats.

We had that amount in Pembroke in January 1982. It was awesome.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just over 24 hours since the snow started its still falling (it looks nothing like the thumbnail below now...)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Really could be a top 5 snowstorm from Washington D.C to NYC. Parts of NJ recorded 31" so far but to put this storm into historic terms this will be the first snowstorm that both NYC & Washington DC hits 18". Washington anyhwere between 20-27" as of 4pm and NYC/Central Park recording 19.7" by 4pm some reports even saying 21"! NYC record is 27 (28"?) in 2006! What is amazing, is amount of snowstorms in E.US since 2000, with 4 (yes 4) at least being in top 10! 

Posted

History! NYC JFK recorded 24+" of snow in 24 hour period, comfortably beating previous of 21".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some phenomenal snowfall totals reached, highest in Virginia 39 inches (99cm), Maryland 38 inches (96cm) and still falling

image.thumb.jpeg.2f5b97a6000e01fa17723e9

image.thumb.png.7d81eb5917a0a2a3271ced97

Parts of NYC could see 24-30 inches by the time this snow clears on Sunday morning.

image.thumb.png.3d690e4624d9f736b12ee19d

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Latest pics from my brothers back garden in Glen Ridge, New Jersey.....and it keeps on coming.....slightly scary now lol.....!! Those 'lumps' are/were their sunbeds and BBQ. Middle pic their big outside table. Just crazy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
3 hours ago, The PIT said:

Doesn't look bad on the camera's  just had a look. Looks like the media frenzy is over hyping it.

Once a hundred years doesn't mean it happens once a hundred years just that you've got a 1/100 chance of it happening.

This is the post of the year.  Superb!!!!

• Like 4

Posted

ABC footage from New York making me jealous tonight... looks preety spectacular. Makes our 5 cms last Saturday irrelevant..

Oh to see even half these amounts would be special here. Last time we had more than a foot of snowfall was way back in Feb 96, we've missed out in recent years.. our time will come again I'm sure.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

.. our time will come again I'm sure.

I won't hold my breath!

The only similar experience was January 1987 in Southend, this was the biggest snow event I've ever seen (around 22 inches fell).  That's 29 years ago, surely we can have a similar event again, can't we???

Posted

Gets even better; Central Park now upto 25.1" with the record being 26.9", will it do it? Washington likely to finish between 4th and 2nd in record books, with 1922 at number 1 on 29" of snow.

Posted
6 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

Indeed, not completely abnormal for the eastern States. I've been in NY during 12" plus. It's the "snowmageddon" media stuff that's making it "sensational"!

It's relatively unusual as shown by the records that are being broken right now. Of course 10-16" snow isn't as uncommon in America at lower levels as it would be here but falls of 24-36" in one event is absolutely massive wherever you are, especially in urban areas - anyone trying to claim this isn't a rare event is frankly deluded. Someone was trying to laugh the American reaction off to this to me today by saying "we got a foot of snow in 2010" - I kind of hope we get something like this so they can see the difference between a foot of wet snow over a week and 3ft of powder snow in 2 days.

Also could there be flooding whilst this thaws out?

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 1

Posted

I've seen some Brits poke fun at Londoners about coping with snow.  Particularly those from points further north in the UK.  Londoners have nothing on the residents of Atlanta.  

Just a bit of the white stuff causes delirium: https://youtu.be/C77dnW47Bl4 and chaos: https://youtu.be/bH5C3E8JDpI

And if they happen to receive a few inches (Daily Show from a couple years ago but it still applies):  Jon Stewart slams Atlanta for 2 inches of snow

Edited by KeithinCali
  • Like 1

Posted

Superb timelapse footage here, really captures the intensity and length of this storm.

• Like 5