Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Posted

2 winters on the trot with a very similar synoptic pattern i.e. strong ridge over western USA/Alaska and deep trough over CN/NE USA.

I think the phase of the PDO has something to do with, also SST's this winter off west coast of Alaska have been unusually warm once again.. Aluetian low nowhere to be seen... with the PV stuck in situ over NE Canada/baffin island once again.

Will be good to see the stats for this winter in NE USA, last year I think was a very cold one, this year another cold one..

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

2 winters on the trot with a very similar synoptic pattern i.e. strong ridge over western USA/Alaska and deep trough over CN/NE USA.

I think the phase of the PDO has something to do with, also SST's this winter off west coast of Alaska have been unusually warm once again.. Aluetian low nowhere to be seen... with the PV stuck in situ over NE Canada/baffin island once again.

Will be good to see the stats for this winter in NE USA, last year I think was a very cold one, this year another cold one..

Last winter in the NE was cold but only 36th coldest since 1895. I'm trying to avoid drifting into the climate area here. :)

Posted

Actually temperature wise it was the midwest US that was hit hardest last year by the so called "polar vortex."  That cold air then traveled over to the eastern seaboard .  But the most brutal and sustained chill was centered on Chicago, St. Louis, Minny, etc. This winter the trough has been slightly further east.  The eastern third of the country has been more at heart of the cold air plunges from Canada/Siberia.  The midwest has also been affected by these cold blasts but they've had some warm spells that they didn't see hardly at all last year.  Whereas this year the cold air has remained stationed over the east coast for longer periods.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes seem to recall it was the north mid west so to speak that was hit hardest last winter, whereas this year it seems to be more the NE that has been affected most by sustained cold and snow.

The difference has had implications for the UK as well,  the trough last winter I think was more stretched and less deep over E USA hence less amplification ahead of it, and instead the brutal cold had an easier ride entering into the NW Atlantic creating explosive cyclogenesis. Whereas this winter the trough has been more deeper and easterly based allowing for greater amplification over west/central atlantic hence the frontal attacks have arrived from a more northerly source this year, rather than westerly with associated tropical maritime air.

Still the two winters have been very similar northern hemisphere synoptic speaking. Hoping next winter will be a different ball game.

Posted

Bitter cold morning breaks long-standing records in Northeast, Midwest

With just a few days left in meteorological winter, bitter cold continues in the eastern United States, where Tuesday morning lows were running 30 to 40 degrees below average from Indiana to New England. For some, it was the coldest morning on record so late in the season.

Dozens of daily record lows fell Tuesday morning, by as much as 20 degrees. A few readings have broken century-old records, including those in Pittsburgh; Akron-Canton, Ohio; Hartford, Conn.; and Indianapolis. In Rochester, N.Y., the low of minus-9 degrees tied the record set in 1889. Records in Rochester go back to 1871.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/24/bitter-cold-morning-breaks-long-standing-records-across-northeast/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks like some parts of the Cape and Boston may get a little more snow.. it's amazing how the US climate changes. A few days ago this little system was going to run up the coast, ever since then it's take microscopic shifts west, 20 miles per run and instead of pushing a quick dusting on the cape and the very east coast, some places could get a good 4-6 inches now, especially with some later enhanced non modelled enhancements in the PPN. They just brush it off like it's nothing. 

Imagine us going from a couple of centre metres, to 15cm in a couple of days. 

Place would meltdown.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A real Winter storm coming in tonight to where an aquainstance of mine works. -25C winds gusting to 120 Km/hour and heavy snow lasting through to tomorrow night. Tuktoyaktuk has some climate!

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=d3568df98a1b92f1&hl=en&gl=UK&source=web

Posted

Las Vegas has the warmist winter on record.

Lets get some facts a very  cold year across Canada and  the USA https://sunshinehours.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/noaa-2634-low-max-records-broken-or-tied-from-2015-02-19-to-2015-02-25/

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

Before you two start hyperventilating by all means let's get some facts. And by the way in case there is any misconceptions here about motives I've almost certainly posted more about the cold in the US than either of you two.

Facts.

Dec-Jan in the US was the 6th warmist on record. When the Feb details come in this will probably be a bit lower.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-precip/climatological-rankings/index.php?periods[]=2&parameter=tavg&state=110&div=0&month=1&year=2015#ranks-form

In the meantime

Freaky February helps smash records for heat — and cold

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/03/01/weather-february-breaks-heat-cold-records/24223177/

Bottom line is no matter how much you two compadres wish to concentrate on the cold aspect ( I've absolutely no idea why) the winter in the US has been extreme for heat and cold but overall it doesn't rank as being that cold.

Fact.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

It certainly hasn't been on this coast.  :nonono:

East coast bias strikes again!  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Maybe we can all agree the U.S. weather has been extreme this year? Maybe we should note that since 2012 we've been seeing such an east west split? Maybe we should focus on why Anchorage is asking Boston for its winter back?