Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Mid-South, Mid-Atlantic Brace for Heavy Snow, Sleet, and Ice

A record-setting intrusion of Arctic air blasted through the eastern U.S. over the weekend, setting the stage for a bitter week that will remind many of the infamous cold stretch of January 2014. The biggest concern today and Tuesday is an upper-level impulse moving from Oklahoma to the Atlantic that will pull warm, moist low-level air from the Gulf of Mexico atop the surface-based Arctic air. Snow will stretch from southern Missouri to the Washington, D.C., area, with sleet and freezing rain extending from Arkansas to the Carolinas. At 6:21 am CST, law enforcement in Jasper, AR, reported 2 - 3†of sleet accumulation. The surface layer of cold air will generally remain thick enough to favor sleet over freezing rain, but significant freezing rain could occur in some areas; an ice storm warning has been issued for central Tennessee south of Nashville.

Parts of central Kentucky are getting their heaviest snow in years today, with as much as 15†expected. Washington, D.C., could get 6 - 10†or more of snow on Monday night, heaviest toward the south, although there may be large variations across the D.C. area; a small change in the storm track could bump the totals up or down by a big margin. As with the recent nor’easters, much of the snow in this cold storm will be on the fluffy side, with snow-to-liquid ratios of 15:1 to 20:1 adding to the potential accumulations. Tonight’s D.C. storm will be less intense but far better predicted than the unexpected, paralyzing President’s Day storm of 1979.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2917

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

That is going to take a long time to melt perhaps we should have a competetion as to when Debs will have a snowless garden again!!!

Posted

Nationally, it's been one of the warmest winters on record

The U.S. is having its sixth-warmest winter on record, according to data from the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), which has records back to 1895.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/02/16/warm-winter/23510107/

Edited by knocker

Posted

February 15th Storm

Hello All,

Well its been quite a few weeks lately, we've had huge amounts of snow here in New Brunswick, the most I've seen in the 8 years I have lived here. I think in less than 3 weeks and after 3 storms we had a total snow fall of 168cms, not including the latest one. My house is covered, theres nowhere else to throw snow, I'm even getting a Back Hoe (JCB) in to move some of it away from the house. This weekend we had drifts of over 4 ft, and snowfall of about 70cms, although locally less amounts and greater amounts. The wind was horrendous. My wind guage registered 110km gusts, thankfully theres snow on the roof holding it down.... :-).

With my husband away, there has been only myself and my daughter to move this snow....I think we have had done a great job.  Hope you like the photos. Just to give you and idea of the snow height, My windows are approx, 8ft from the ground..... :-)

Debs

attachicon.gifIMG_0601.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0602.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0604.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0607.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0608.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0609.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0612.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0617.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0618.JPG

How fantastic, well it would be for me! Im so jealous of your location..... I would love to live in Canada, do you have any photos you could share during the summer time???

Posted

How fantastic, well it would be for me! Im so jealous of your location..... I would love to live in Canada, do you have any photos you could share during the summer time???

Hi Steven,

We get lovely summers here too. I will post them when it finally gets here....lol.  I moved here from UK 8 years ago as I wanted to experience this type of snow.  If you are young enough, I'd say go for it.  If you want snow, then of course East Coast is best, but Alberta gets plenty as does every other province, theres different types of snows.  The Priaries (Saskatchewan, Manitoba) get freezing temps and strong winds so the snow tends to be more like dandruff sizes, The west coast gets more snow in the Mountains, and Alberta of course, gets snow as weather patterns cross over the Rockies, but we tend to get the big storms that come from the Atlantic, or Gulf.  This one was caused by an Alberta Clipper than blended nicely with a low and voila.....70 cms  :-)

I do enjoy seeing UK's snowfalls, not to laugh, but because I know back in the day, I would have been happy as a pig in ***t to have that amount of snow.  I think its wonderful that when it does come, you guys are able to get out and enjoy it too :-)

Debs

Posted

That is going to take a long time to melt perhaps we should have a competetion as to when Debs will have a snowless garden again!!!

I'll probably not see my "yellow" grass again until end of April....when I was out yesterday, the snow was well...upto my lady bits to put it polite4ly, and I only stopped sinking because of my ass :-P. 

Debs

Posted

Hello again,.

I managed to dig out a photo from a previous years summer, just to give you a contrast.  On the snow picture you cannot see my pond, but it is there :-)

Enjoy

Debs

post-47-0-53749700-1424202128_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-19772500-1424202154_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

April 9th

Posted

Hello again,.

I managed to dig out a photo from a previous years summer, just to give you a contrast.  On the snow picture you cannot see my pond, but it is there :-)

Enjoy

Debs

attachicon.gifIMG_0609.JPGattachicon.gif20130712_143349.jpg

Amazing garden, thank you! So lovely, so jealous!

Posted

Just goes to show that living in this country is just mega boring weather wise. No great extremes of anything. Even our biggest storms cause minimal damage.

Great pics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Seems like the possibility of some major issues in the NE US over the weekend. A cutter looks like shooting across the eastern side of the country, producing snow at first in places like Boston and then turning to quite heavy rain. With the amount of snow pack they have up there, it will either melt and cause flooding or partially melt causing roofs to collapse through weight and then refreeze turning the roads to an ice sheet. Only 5-6 weeks now until we can start talking storm chase season. 

Aslong as life loss is non existant it would be brillant to have a record breaking storm season...much like the snow Boston have just had. Brillant country to live in weatherwise - they still find the reason to moan!

Posted

Just goes to show that living in this country is just mega boring weather wise. No great extremes of anything. Even our biggest storms cause minimal damage.

Well the US is a big country.  So there's a wide variety of different regional climates and phenoma going on.  Although the engine of the gulf and the lack of geographic barriers to northerly plunges of the artic stuff from Canada is a fortuitous set up and makes things interesting for the eastern 2/3rds of the country. 

However, I happen to live in the corner of the country where the weather is dull, predictable, and typically undramatic.  If you think your country is "mega boring" weather/climate wise you'd certainly suffer as a weather enthusiast living in Southern California!  All the chaotic weather they get in the midwest, east, and on the gulf is as foreign to me as it is to you.

Edited by KeithinCali
  • Like 4

Posted

Top 20 coldest major cities (in winter, dec thru feb) in the US.  

http://www.weather.com/sports-recreation/ski/news/20-coldest-large-cities-america-20140107#/1

A couple surprises maybe. I correctly guessed #1 but was surprised that a few other cities didn't make it.   It appears "major city" is designated as among the top 100 most populous which works out to a pop. of over 200,000.  So about the size of Southampton/Derby or larger.

Edited by KeithinCali
  • Like 2