Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks as though somewhere between Boston and NY is perhaps looking at something of a 'winter storm' depending how far inland you are as the week heads on..

Wish we had the US climate! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Looks as though somewhere between Boston and NY is perhaps looking at something of a 'winter storm' depending how far inland you are as the week heads on..

Wish we had the US climate! :(

Ummm, really? We can 't cope with 2 inches of snow, let alone Arctic vortex shift/lake effect snow. We had the snows in north Wales in March 2014. Too may sheep and lambs lost for local farmers... So no thanks.

• Like 1

Posted

Ummm, really? We can 't cope with 2 inches of snow, let alone Arctic vortex shift/lake effect snow. We had the snows in north Wales in March 2014. Too may sheep and lambs lost for local farmers... So no thanks.

My selfish side says yes. I think this country would just adjust and get used to it if we had the winter they had over the pond. 

Anyway - keep your eyes on this thread for anyone interested in what happens over the pond. Potential for a NYC winter storm at the end of the week. 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44942-possible-nyc-snow-wed-night-or-thursday/page-16

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That is what is positively known on Netweather forums as a stonker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZre9h85cA

Posted

Weather Whiplash: Floods Hit Buffalo as 62°F Temperatures Melt Huge Snowpack

It's weather whiplash in Buffalo, New York, where the temperature surged to 62°F at 11 am EST Monday, following a week of near-record cold and heavy snow. The exceptional warmth would be welcome if not for the massive snowpack on the ground along a swath across the southern and eastern suburbs of Buffalo, where last week's extreme lake effect snow storm dumped up to 88" (7 feet, four inches) of snow at Cowlesville. The water content of the snow, if it all melted at once, is huge--equivalent to up to 6.3" of rain at Orchard Park, NY, as measured last Friday. Fortunately, today's warmth has been accompanied by rainfall amounts less than .10" so far, and only one area river is at moderate flood stage--Cayuga Creek at Lancaster, where over six feet of snow fell last week. With freezing temperatures expected to return on Tuesday night and continue for most of the remainder of the week, widespread damaging flooding is not expected, and the forecast is for mostly minor flooding in the Buffalo area on Monday and Tuesday. The large and powerful November storm responsible for Buffalo's remarkable warmth is bringing high winds to an exceptionally large area of the U.S. and Canada this Monday morning, with High Wind Watches and Warnings posted for a 17-state area 1,000 miles across, from North Dakota to New York and southwards to Arkansas.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2866

Posted

Unwelcome Nor'easter Poised to Snarl Wednesday Travel

After basking in record warm temperatures in the 60s and 70s on Monday, the Northeast U.S. is bracing for a Wednesday winter onslaught, as a significant Nor'easter will bring heavy snows to the roads at the same time that millions of people hit the roads in advance of the Thanksgiving holiday. The unwelcome storm will form off the coast of South Carolina Tuesday night and track north-northeastward, parallel to the coast, on Wednesday. Snow will begin in the Southern Appalachians late Tuesday night and spread northeastwards on Wednesday. Areas to the east of the I-95 corridor will start off with heavy rain, but the rain will transition to wet, heavy snow on Wednesday afternoon as cold air spills southwards along the coast. Little or no accumulation is likely in Washington D.C., which hit a pleasant 74°F on Monday. The story is different, though, in Philadelphia, where a Winter Storm Watch for 2 - 3 inches of snow was posted on Monday--even as the temperature rose to a record high for the date of 72°F. Higher snowfall amounts of 4 - 8" are possible in New York City, which also experienced a record high on Monday--64°F at Kennedy Airport. Boston will also be severely impacted beginning late Wednesday afternoon, with snows of 4 - 6" possible. Portland, Maine, which hit a record 63°F on Monday, is under a Winter Storm Watch for 4 - 8" of snow. The heaviest snows will come Wednesday afternoon into Wednesday evening in the big cities, and may take some time to accumulate on the roads due to stored heat from the warm temperatures of the past few days. Traveling earlier in the day Wednesday is definitely recommended if you have the flexibility, as road conditions will steadily deteriorate through the afternoon into evening. The worst conditions will be experienced inland from the coast, where widespread snow amounts of 6 - 12 inches are likely along a swath from Northeast Pennsylvania and Northwest New Jersey into Maine, including Hartford, Connecticut and central Massachusetts cities like Worcester. As usual with a storm of this nature, small changes in the forecast track of the system can cause large changes in the amount of snowfall near the coast, so stay tuned to the latest forecasts.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2867

Posted

Looking interesting...

Couple of good links. 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44984-thanksgiving-week-storm-wedwed-night/page-9

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44970-thanksgiving-eve-secsmecs-part-2/page-22#entry3153024

http://www.whdh.com/weather

51E934F2-FFE2-402D-B0BB-B1D752FADBA2_zps

Potential for anything from 2-10 inches dependant on where you are in the NE tommorrow afternoon/evening then! I love how reading the forums and forecasts how they just mention the potential for 'a 6 inch cover' like it's nothing. That's more than the average winter supply here and they are washing it off as nothing in November!

Posted

Hello Everyone again,

Its been along time since I posted here, and with a wonderful Nor'easter approaching, I thought I would ask you guys if they had any idea what weather is like in UK for December, as I am visiting my home country after 8 years absence and was hoping some of the white stuff I am used to will make its way there for Christmas.... :-)  I know, you'd think I'd bve fed up with snow, all the locals think Im mad as I still get excited over the large snowfalls we have here, but, as Im over in UK for Christmas, I want snow there too....how selfish of me....lol. 

So far this winter, we have had 2 Nor'easters, producing no more than 10 cms of snow, so not too bad at all, no snow days from school. much to my daughters disappoinment, however, the next Nor'easter is set to dump around 20 to 30 cms, so a strong possibility for a snow day tomorrow.

Its nice to see a few names I recognise on here, and if Beverley lass can get in touch with me on deborahforever and the usual email account that would be great too,  \

Happy Winter folks

Debs

Edited by debs
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

There's a well presented argument with some interesting charts in the latest WSI Weatherwise Blog suggesting that North America won't be going back into the freezer in the run up to mid-December.

Headline: In a season filled with significant model volatility and poor performance in the 11-15 day range, one may view the current warm trends in the current medium range forecast with a good degree of skepticism.  After all, we all remember how calls for a warm November in late October flipped suddenly and dramatically as the month turned. Is there room for such a big change now?

Full blog: http://www.wsi.com/blog/energy/mid-december-warmth-prevails-or-another-cold-surprise/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hello Everyone again,

Its been along time since I posted here, and with a wonderful Nor'easter approaching, I thought I would ask you guys if they had any idea what weather is like in UK for December, as I am visiting my home country after 8 years absence and was hoping some of the white stuff I am used to will make its way there for Christmas.... :-)  I know, you'd think I'd bve fed up with snow, all the locals think Im mad as I still get excited over the large snowfalls we have here, but, as Im over in UK for Christmas, I want snow there too....how selfish of me....lol. 

So far this winter, we have had 2 Nor'easters, producing no more than 10 cms of snow, so not too bad at all, no snow days from school. much to my daughters disappoinment, however, the next Nor'easter is set to dump around 20 to 30 cms, so a strong possibility for a snow day tomorrow.

Its nice to see a few names I recognise on here, and if Beverley lass can get in touch with me on deborahforever and the usual email account that would be great too,  \

Happy Winter folks

Debs

Very Good . please send some snow to the snow starving Netweather community :rofl:

Posted

There's a well presented argument with some interesting charts in the latest WSI Weatherwise Blog suggesting that North America won't be going back into the freezer in the run up to mid-December.

Headline: In a season filled with significant model volatility and poor performance in the 11-15 day range, one may view the current warm trends in the current medium range forecast with a good degree of skepticism.  After all, we all remember how calls for a warm November in late October flipped suddenly and dramatically as the month turned. Is there room for such a big change now?

Full blog: http://www.wsi.com/blog/energy/mid-december-warmth-prevails-or-another-cold-surprise/

Dont agree with that http://t.co/KvmBuMBj4V

Posted

Hi all,

Nor Easter has hit Southern New Brunswick, Canada. Started at 5 pm local time (AST) ND so far after 3 hour of persistent snow we have but 10 cm. Forecast is for mixing with ice pellets and freezing rain. Overall expectations is for 30 cm by the time it pushes through tomorrow AM. Will post photo's.

TTFN Debs

xx

• Like 2

Posted

Hi all,

Nor Easter has hit Southern New Brunswick, Canada. Started at 5 pm local time (AST) ND so far after 3 hour of persistent snow we have but 10 cm. Forecast is for mixing with ice pellets and freezing rain. Overall expectations is for 30 cm by the time it pushes through tomorrow AM. Will post photo's.

TTFN Debs

xx

Looking forward to seeing your photos Debs. Is this storm the same one that is forecast to affect Boston and NYC? Edited by picog

Posted

post-47-0-03051500-1417180904_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-21464800-1417180932_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-84656000-1417180977_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-57600500-1417181020_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-06085500-1417181057_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-14580000-1417181095_thumb.jpgpost-47-0-44155800-1417181131_thumb.jpgHi All,

Well the storm passed with lots of blowing wind and snow.  Snow amounts were only 15cms here, so not too much.  Moncton got 25cm.  Mixed in with the snow was about 2cm of freezing rain, so pretty hard to shovel. Nevertheless, my garden now looks very festive.

Enjoy the photos.

Debs

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Dont agree with that http://t.co/KvmBuMBj4V

Hi keithlucky. I agree with knocker's post above. What exactly are you disagreeing with? The WSI blog was looking at mid-Dec and asking "will Artic air return". They put forward a reasoned argument that it won't. You put forward a link reporting on the here-and-now weather which, yes, is snowy for the NE USA and, yes, some further snow is possible into the first couple of days of December. But thereafter, from the 2nd Dec through to the 12th Dec, today's GFS 06z run shows a positive 850hPa temperature anomaly for virtually the whole of the USA and clearly no plunge of Artic air. The charts with the first showing the last of the bitter air moving off towards Newfoundland.

1st Decpost-20040-0-36913900-1417190661_thumb.p 2nd Dec post-20040-0-93470900-1417190696_thumb.p 6th Dec post-20040-0-82806500-1417190716_thumb.p

8th Dec post-20040-0-00025800-1417190757_thumb.p 12th Dec post-20040-0-92229800-1417190776_thumb.p

WSI used largely ECM output for their blog, but it looks like the GFS agrees, no Artic plunge in the run up to mid-Dec.

• Like 3

Posted

Currently - 24 where my husband is in Carlyle Saskatchewan....wind chill feels like - 36. Pretty darn cold.

Getting colder here in New Brunswick. Currently only -7.

Slight warm up tomorrow.

Debs