Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Hope u had a good trip. Its been pretty warm here, if not hot. I have been to Calgary a couple times and surprised at how cool it was compared to Canmore. Thursday we went and it was 25oC in Canmore and 18oC in Calgary. Yesterday (Friday) it topped out at 31oC here in Canmore. Very warm. Today is a different matter, extremely windy and much cooler.

yes seems to be a much more unsettled and cooler summer than last year so far....is cool and windy today with more showers to come

Posted

Some exceptional summer cold in the Midwest this past week. I read that Chicago's had its coldest July 23-29 period in 142 years of records, with a high of 18C on the 27th (average high = 29C). I know someone there who's practically slitting his wrists. Good job he hasn't spent the previous six summers living here.

High of 13C at Duluth on the 27th (average high = 25C).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Some exceptional summer cold in the Midwest this past week. I read that Chicago's had its coldest July 23-29 period in 142 years of records, with a high of 18C on the 27th (average high = 29C). I know someone there who's practically slitting his wrists. Good job he hasn't spent the previous six summers living here.

High of 13C at Duluth on the 27th (average high = 25C).

Is it me, or has California been WAY cooler than average this summer?

Posted

only reached 10c yesterday in Calgary and dipped to near 0c last night Posted Image

Posted

we reached 8oC and minus 1oC - ridiculous

Posted

Holy Doh a dumb swear filter got the better of me is all I can say about the last 5 days.

8 inches of rain in 36-48 hours. Cougar creek wiping out homes and highways. Eagle terrace being cut off as the road has gone. We were 3 inches away from having our home ruined in south canmore. Not from a river breach but rising ground water. We had to evacuate Friday night and spend the night in my office.

Thankfully army was helping an at the last hour dug a trench to the creek to relieve the road.

On top of this my mum flew in from England Thursday and was stuck there until yesterday when I managed to sneak through and get her and get back.

If ever the river breaches here Canmore is gone. Time to move on maybe

Here is a pic of our back yard taken from the upstairs window. This is when the water was at the doors. Thankfully it finally receeded.

Posted Imageflood.JPG

Wow, glad to see you and your property are OK.  Do you remember back in June when I said friends of ours who were holidaying near Canmore were complaining how cold and miserable it was?  You suggested early Summer was the wrong time to visit...not as wrong as mid Summer tho clearly....Posted Image

Edited by shedhead

Posted

Wow, glad to see you and your property are OK.  Do you remember back in June when I said friends of ours who were holidaying near Canmore were complaining how cold and miserable it was?  You suggested early Summer was the wrong time to visit...not as wrong as mid Summer tho clearly....Posted Image

Pretty cold right across USA with cold weather records being broken

1,122 Record Cold Temps173 Record Warm temps.

Posted Image

Posted

lol this is pretty unusual and widespread across a lot of north America. Today it was back to 26oC....strange old weather.

Posted

lol this is pretty unusual and widespread across a lot of north America. Today it was back to 26oC....strange old weather.

not for long 1 day now we are back to another cool unsettled spell for potentially another week..which by my reckoning leaves us 3 weeks before things start to cool of in general..i would love to have a dry sunny autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not dry here earlier this afternoon in Mont Tremblant, Quebec. Got caught in a thunderstorm with some torrential rain. Temps fell from 24C to 17 C very quickly but slowly rising now as it has dried up though still cloudy. Some unseasonally cool forecasts coming up for next week I am told.

Posted

our poor summer continues...it is interesting that the UK had a poor summer last year and ours was great this year is the other way around. Here we have suffered from the Alaskan high as the UK suffered the Greenland high in previous summers...Alaska and the NW territories have had a hot dry summer whilst here it has been cool and rather wet...looks like this situation will continue for another week...many people are hoping for a dry warm September..this summer is similar to that of 2010 that was cool and stormy up to mid August when it dried out and warmed up somewhat...i would imagine something similar would happen as the the thunderstorm season now draws to a close in the next week to 10 days.

Posted

I agree vey similar to 2010 though we had more rain then. Had a great day hiking today 25oc and sunny. Very nice. Hoping for a warm and dry weekend

Posted

Storm last night near Edmonton...

post-4391-0-05193200-1376346168_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted

What's going on up there then?

Record heat wave bakes Canada's North

Temperatures 10 degrees above normal across Yukon, Nunavut and Northwest Territories

Historically high heat over the past week has led to broken temperature records in all three northern territories but residents aren’t complaining. Temperatures across Canada’s three territories have been about ten degrees above normal this week. In some communities, like Kugluktuk, Nunavut, it’s been even more remarkable: yesterday, it set temperature records for the sixth consecutive day on Tuesday, hitting 29 degrees Celsius.

Typically, in Kugluktuk, it’s about 13 degrees this time of year, according to Environment Canada. Local teacher Barbara Olson and her family found a unique way to deal with the scorching temperatures: they’ve been snorkeling — in the Arctic Ocean. “Every day when the kids wake up, it’s already pretty warm,†she said. “They ask to go swimming every day … They ask to go swimming all day long. The heat’s opened up a lot of things we’ve been able to do." "Growing up here, I've never felt an August this warm, for this length of time."

In Whitehorse, water is also the preferred method for cooling off, as residents are flocking to Long Lake, just a short drive from downtown. But some like the heat more than others. “I think it’s great for two or three weeks,†said Rosemary Nichol, who brought her grandchild with her to cool off. “After that, I’m looking for cool weather. But the kids love it all the time.â€

Increased fire risk

But a Northern heat wave doesn’t just mean beach days for residents. Combining extreme temperatures with the dry climate of the Arctic creates ideal conditions for wildfires. Last weekend, two new fires sparked in Yukon — one in Dawson, and the other near Whitehorse. Near the Northwest Territories’ community of Fort Simpson, Sambaa Deh Falls Territorial Park has remained closed for over three weeks due to a nearby fire. 

Sections of nearby highway have opened and closed numerous times because of wildfires. Even Alaska isn’t immune: a number of forest fires burning near the highways have caused havoc for travelers into the U.S. state. "These conditions are very unusual for us at this time of year," said Maureen Clark, an officer with the Alaska Fire Service. “Usually, by August we have rain, and that puts an end to our fire season.†Weather officials have warned residents to be extremely cautious and to make sure they properly extinguish all fires.

In the Northwest Territories, fire bans have been imposed in numerous territorial parks, as well as the city of Yellowknife. Fire officials may not have to wait long for rain as cloudier skies are forecast across the North this week. In Yellowknife, rain is expected by Thursday; in Whitehorse, by Friday. Yet, even with the end in sight, it’s weeks like this that will keep Northerners like Whitehorse’s Mike Toews going six months from now, when the territories return to their status as Canada’s coldest region.

“Yukon, what can I say," he said. "Yesterday, we were tubing, water skiing on my friend’s boat an hour out of town… it’s that easy.†"Of course, I like it this hot."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/08/13/north-weather-heat.html

• Like 1

Posted

been a very strange week weather wise..each day has been sunny and very warm/hot..the following day is always forecast to be cooler but it never happens the following day has always been sunny and very warm/hot... now had a long run of 80f+ days..today is forecast to be cooler...we will see?

Posted

Huge Yosemite wildfire has grown so large that it's creating its own weather patterns and is visible from SPACE

Posted Image

Posted

This day 5 years ago we had 3 inches of snow on the ground. Today....it's stunning! 25oC and brilliant sunshine.

post-4391-0-11453400-1377999620_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-59268100-1378002663_thumb.jp

Edited by canadiancoops
  • Like 1

Posted

Next week I could be going down to Central America (I know this is a NA thread, but it doesn't justify an individual thread)...

The UV index is 13 - THIRTEEN! The max in the UK is 8 (and that's rare) and nowhere in Europe gets above 11, which is classed as extreme!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I must confess that, as daft as it might seem, I used to think that Yosemite was Jewish Marmite!Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

This day 5 years ago we had 3 inches of snow on the ground. Today....it's stunning! 25oC and brilliant sunshine.

Posted Imagelakeaug31.jpg

Posted Imageaugdifference.JPG

WOW!!!

Posted

Reached 32c here yesterday..but fortunately was a dry heat with humidity of only 24%

Posted

Was that your warmest day of the year? I am now watching this thread with real interest to see when your weather changes. We have a holiday home in the lakes of Ontario and if you visit in late September then it can be anything between -5c and + 30c but generally it is a warm settled month, especially in southern Ontario. That said, the very south of Ontario is more like northern Spain in terms of it's summer climate.

Posted

My warmest day of the year was the 2nd or 3rd July when it reached 34c..never got above 30c again until the 4th Sept and again yesterday when it hit 30c.

Posted

Summer continues unabated here in Alberta...September definitely seems to be much more of a summer month than June or even sometimes July since i have been here...27c today..and could get passed 30c on Thurs and Fri and staying in the high 20s right through the weekend with unbroken sunshine.