Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Worcester just about to see the sun, for the higher ground with the massive totals it's pretty much over now.

Northbourugh and Worcester at 28 inches, pretty much final totals.

Boston still snowing at 21 inches, will probably break the 2 foot mark.

Posted

Bit jealous. Would love to see a big snow storm like this here. I'm so bored of the usual dustings of snow we get. I did get 6 inches a couple of weeks ago but most of that was gone the next day.

A storm like this would cripple the UK. Significant fatalities and casualties.

Posted

Portland Maine has apparently set a new storm total record (over a century or more of records) with 32 inches on the ground, still snowing. Boston will probably end up with 27 inches and that might be good for fourth place in their list of biggest storm totals. Hartford CT had 23 inches, Bridgeport CT close to 30 inches, and as people have mentioned, reports of 35 to 40 inches from various places in CT, MA, NH and ME.

U.S. weather forum posters seem to think that the Boston region had closer to 30-33 inches but the airport was either under-measured in part one (the totals are based on adding up 6-hr totals then cleaning the measuring board for a restart), or the strong winds were blowing snow off the site and into nearby inland regions. Whatever, the totals are about what was predicted except that west-central CT over-performed thanks to the pivoting of a deformation band over them most of Friday night. Wind and wave damage are not as great as in the 1978 blizzard from what I'm hearing, although many have lost power in southeast MA.

Storm is currently in the Gulf of Maine about 973 mbs and pounding away at coastal Maine, and most of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Last night, winds offshore near Bar Harbor Maine were 62 knots gusting to 71 knots (that was on an exposed rock well off the coast, but still ...) and peak wind gusts all up the coast have been in that range.

• Like 5

Posted

Hi This is the view of the Confederation Bridge on Prince Edward Island.

Live streaming camera. Drifting snow, freezing temps at 60kmh winds

http://www.confederationbridge.com/bridge-cam/BridgeCam100_9.asx

Posted

Hello folks,

Not been on here for such a long time. Lots of different names on here now.

Weather here in New Brunswick is fabulous. At least 40 cms fell so far. Snow start 8pm last night and although lighter now, its still falling. Winds are strong from the North and blowing up drifts to a meter in places. Temps are Good at -7 with windchill at -17, so a little warmer than last nights -26. :)

This is why I emigrated :-) Enjoy the pics.

Debs

XX

post-47-0-78344100-1360442860_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-91584200-1360442991_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-17309700-1360443031_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-61752500-1360443082_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Hi This is the view of the Confederation Bridge on Prince Edward Island.

Live streaming camera. Drifting snow, freezing temps at 60kmh winds

http://www.confedera...dgeCam100_9.asx

I've been across that bridge. Looking at the water below, its frozen solid, why use the bridge :-)

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Final totals for the storm have been published by the US NWS

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS

Hamden got the highest at 40"

Honestly if you have the time have a look at some US based forums as some of the pictures from the region are astounding (e.g. snow depth higher than their post boxes)

• Like 1

Posted

Hello again folks.

Well we had more snow overnight and without drifts, we had about 80 cms....maybe more. Driveway was cleared last night around 8pm, and looked no different this morning.

Managed to catch the tail end of the storm clouds this morning as I prepared to dig out.

Just so you can gauge how much snow we got....cos it always snows in Canada.....prior to this storm we had had a mini thaw and I could see yllow grass. The driveway was totally cleared as was the deck....so these are actaully just the last 24 hours of snow mounds that you are seeing. :-)

Enjoy the pics.

Debs

post-47-0-58081100-1360519373_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-62370900-1360519399_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-35109800-1360519462_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-76629400-1360519522_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-48569300-1360519576_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-58469600-1360519621_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-70669100-1360519659_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

The system named 'Nemo' is finally departing Newfoundland after effecting us here for a couple of days. Gander in central Newfoundland look to have hit the sweet spot for snowfall with 55cm, not a patch on places in America but a very impressive amount from a weakening system by the time it got to these parts, here in St Johns more of a regular type of winter storm with 22cm and a couple of cm's of freezing rain on top. Looks like were in line for 10cm tomorrow to top everything up and not too hard to clean up.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

NASA and NOAA satellites have provided animations and images of the coupling of two low pressure areas that created the now historic winter-time nor'easter that brought more than two feet of snow to portions of the New England states on Feb. 8 and 9, 2013. NASA released an animation of NOAA satellite imagery that shows the lifetime of the historic nor'easter.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/0213-noreaster.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

An amazing time lapse from Connecticut

Posted Image

Reminds me of todays snow....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Been snowing here for 12 hours non stop and now at at 6 inches. Had a crazy 10 mins whiteout and got about an inch in that short time.....crazy heavy almost like giant polystyrene balls.

The forecast here was for 2-5cm's.....surprise.

EDIT: Just checked weathernetwork.com and they have just this minute put a weather warning up and I looked outside and guess what...just stopped snowing....its laughable as it happens everytime

Edited by canadiancoops

Posted

Been snowing here for 12 hours non stop and now at at 6 inches. Had a crazy 10 mins whiteout and got about an inch in that short time.....crazy heavy almost like giant polystyrene balls.

EDIT: Just checked weathernetwork.com and they have just this minute put a weather warning up and I looked outside and guess what...just stopped snowing....its laughable as it happens everytime

The Weathernetwork just relay the Enviro Canada warnings. I find the warnings are pretty good for here, a couple of times I've seen a warning go up almost after it's all happened (to be fair some systems are very hard to predict) but this is rare 95% of the time they do a good job....maybe it varies from province to province.

We had another big storm here in Atlantic Canada yesterday and overnight, escaped the worst here right on the East of the island was mainly rain but further West on the island and into Nova Scotia and New Brunswick boar the brunt. Probably didn't get as much attention as "Nemo" the weekend before as it never really effected the US but looked pretty impressive on the satellite:

Posted Image

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Didn't get any snow here over the weekend..in fact Friday and Saturday were incredibly mild...15c Fri and 13c Sat..in fact January and February have been mild and relatively snow-free much the same as last year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Wow we actually got some snow last night..after nearly 6 weeks of being completely dry..not a lot fell but Calgary is white again temporarily..most of the winter snow had slowly melted over the last 6 weeks..warms up again to be back above +10c by the weekend so the snow that has just fallen will be gone again pretty soon.

Posted

I thought you might get a dusting. Nothing here since the heavy snow back on Feb 17. Still loads of snow here but slowly melting. Might get into the city this weekend now I can walk again after a nice bout of gout

Posted

Snowstorm here. At 5 inches and still falling at about an inch an hour. May get to a foot of snow by dark at this rate

Posted

Snowstorm here. At 5 inches and still falling at about an inch an hour. May get to a foot of snow by dark at this rate

How much did you get in the end?

Winter here this year has been more snowy and cold than last year at least in January and February where we recorded over a metre of snow in each month and still alot of snow hanging around now, temperatures hovering around freezing this week. December though was pretty mild and not much snow about, winter overall I suppose will go down as around the historic average, perhaps slightly above for snowfall.

It doesn't want to seem to go away without a fight although no real snowfall for almost 2 weeks and none really in the forecast this week so that's a sign it's starting to wind down though I would expect a couple more biggish storms before April is out.

Posted

We got 25 cm's in the end - it was nice to see especially as it was the weekend.

It seems like the snow this year has been psuhed out east to you guys as this was prob only our 4th major snowfall since start of November.

Expect March and April to produce big storms for all of us. Its when we get the most snow and no doubt you guys over there in the Maritimes too.