Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Posted Image

Charter bus skids on ice, kills 9 in Oregon

A charter bus in northern Oregon skidded on ice, crashed through a guardrail and tumbled several hundred feet down a steep embankment on Sunday morning, spilling passengers along the way. "I've been a firefighter for 20 years and this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this," Pendleton, Oregon, fire Lt. Steven Brost told CNN affiliate KPTV. "It appeared that most of the patients had actually been ejected from the bus as the bus went down the cliff."

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/30/us/oregon-bus-crash/index.html

Posted

Green green grass in St Johns at the moment, just some dirty snow piles left from a storm before Christmas. The East of the Island missed out on the snow from 2 recent storms this weekend one which bought alot of snow to parts of Nova Scotia.

Looks like turning colder this week plenty of ice days and maybe chance of a decent snow storm.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Snow cover in the USA on new years day almost as good cover than 1996 Posted Image

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE POCATELLO ID

204 PM MST THU JAN 3 2013

...EXTREME COLD WIND CHILL FRIDAY MORNING...

IDZ017-041700-

/O.NEW.KPIH.WC.W.0002.130104T0900Z-130104T1700Z/

EASTERN MAGIC VALLEY-

INCLUDING THE LOCATIONS OF...BURLEY...RUPERT...SHOSHONE...CAREY

204 PM MST THU JAN 3 2013

...WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 10 AM MST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN POCATELLO HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 10 AM MST FRIDAY.

* WIND CHILL VALUES...MINUS 20 TO MINUS 30 BELOW ZERO COMBINED

WITH NORTHEASTERLY WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE...STATE ROUTE 24 BETWEEN THE COMMUNITIES OF

MINIDOKA AND DIETRICH...AND HIGHWAY 26 NEAR RICHFIELD TRAVELING

TOWARDS CRATERS OF THE MOON NATIONAL MONUMENT.

* OTHER IMPACTS...EFFECTS FROM FROSTBITE OR HYPOTHERMIA WILL BE

FELT IN LESS THAN 30 MINUTES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND CHILL WARNING MEANS THE COMBINATION OF VERY COLD AIR AND

STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILL VALUES. THIS

WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA OR DEATH IF

PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

oh its nice to be back in sunny sunny Calgary!

Posted

With temps -30 and below, Alamosa is coldest in US

ALAMOSA, Colo. - Colorado's cold snap has been the worst in Alamosa.

At least twice this week, the San Luis Valley city was the coldest place in the continental United States. The temperature dropped to minus 30 on Wednesday and hit minus 33 on Thursday, the lowest recorded temperatures.

The mercury dropped to negative 34 on Friday morning but it's not clear yet whether that was the absolute coldest.

National Weather Service meteorologist Paul Wolyn says cold gets trapped in the valley and snow cover prevents the ground from warming up. Similar conditions also make Gunnison among the coldest places in Colorado, at least according to weather records.

Taylor Park Reservoir, northeast of Gunnison, is also notoriously cold but its temperature is recorded just once a day, so it doesn't qualify for records.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/with-temps-30-and-below-alamosa-is-coldest-in-us

Leaving aside the flooding isn't it a grand winter we are having?

Posted

oh its nice to be back in sunny sunny Calgary!

Its funny cos I was thinking of you as we have had nothing but wall to wall sunshine since about Dec 20...albeit cold at times. My folks are over from Scotland and cant believe that every day for the last few week they have seen sun and blue skies....they dont even get that in summer in Glasgow lol

Edited by canadiancoops

Posted

Its funny cos I was thinking of you as we have had nothing but wall to wall sunshine since about Dec 20...albeit cold at times. My folks are over from Scotland and cant believe that every day for the last few week they have seen sun and blue skies....they dont even get that in summer in Glasgow lol

the weather in England was terrible...it pretty much rained everyday i was there and real rain and wind too..i got soaked a few times and had to invest in a brolly..i didn't see the sun once in 2 weeks..this weekend has been glorious back in Calgary not a cloud in the sky..you could almost think it was summer!

Posted

Some weather on the way here Thursday afternoon into Friday, 40-60cm of snow and blizzard conditions with 80kmh winds forecast. Not something I've ever witnessed before if it's as bad as they're thinking.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Big storm due to hit us later today, blizzard conditions for 24+ hours all the forecasts seem to be saying minimum of 45cm with even 70+cm possible on parts of the Northern Avalon....staggering figures, hope it doesn't disappoint!

Seems an unusual storm track to deliver alot of snow on the Avalon.

Posted

i had a big squall line swung through yesterday evening the temp dropped from +9c to -8c in the space of a cpl hours and dumped 10cm snow at the same time...means got shovel the drive when i get home from work boo!..least i wont be shoveling 45cm of snowPosted Image

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

i had a big squall line swung through yesterday evening the temp dropped from +9c to -8c in the space of a cpl hours and dumped 10cm snow at the same time...means got shovel the drive when i get home from work boo!..least i wont be shoveling 45cm of snowPosted Image

It's good exercise haha. Must admit think will be a struggle to clear it all, personally most I've dealt with in one hit since I've been here is 30cm which is hard, the talk of up to 75cm is a bit scary, usually the neighbour helps a bit with his snow blower when we get alot so hoping he's feeling kind!

Posted

It's good exercise haha. Must admit think will be a struggle to clear it all, personally most I've dealt with in one hit since I've been here is 30cm which is hard, the talk of up to 75cm is a bit scary, usually the neighbour helps a bit with his snow blower when we get alot so hoping he's feeling kind!

Funny you mention snow blowers..i had one when i lived in Edmonton..and i never figured out how to work the damn thing!..i remember In Jan 2011 Edmonton had its worst snow storm in 20 years and it dumped over 50cm in a cpl days and i was shoveling the drive 3 times a day for 2/3 days it was horrible back breaking work.

Posted

Welcome back CM lol - we have had about 20cm's since yesterday and places in Kananaskis have had over a foot. I saw the snow squall on the radar hit calgary - thought it was going to be pretty intense. Good thing is my boss cancelled coming up to see me from calgary today....someone's looking over me lol.

Glosteroldboy - most I've had in one go is 67cm's. Was crazy seeing that much but the town dealt with it well. Only difference was it was May and it melted afterwards in a few days. I couldn't imagine having it through the winter. mind you we have well over a foot of snow of lying snow and last time we had no snow cover in Canmore was Nov 7!

My parents came out Dec 22 (and still havent gone yet!...2 more days) and it still hasnt got above freezing - think we are about 30 days since the last plus day here. A few times I've left Canmore at minus 6oC and Calgary has been 5oC.

Edited by canadiancoops

Posted

Welcome back CM lol - we have had about 20cm's since yesterday and places in Kananaskis have had over a foot. I saw the snow squall on the radar hit calgary - thought it was going to be pretty intense. Good thing is my boss cancelled coming up to see me from calgary today....someone's looking over me lol.

Glosteroldboy - most I've had in one go is 67cm's. Was crazy seeing that much but the town dealt with it well. Only difference was it was May and it melted afterwards in a few days. I couldn't imagine having it through the winter. mind you we have well over a foot of snow of lying snow and last time we had no snow cover in Canmore was Nov 7!

My parents came out Dec 22 (and still havent gone yet!...2 more days) and it still hasnt got above freezing - think we are about 30 days since the last plus day here. A few times I've left Canmore at minus 6oC and Calgary has been 5oC.

Hey CC good to be back....getting a bit of a pasting snow wise today which wasn't forecast..has been relatively mild since i got back last Friday this is the 1st cold day since i been back currently -12c and falling..got to +9c yesterday after lunch went out without a coat..just spent the last 15 mins digging my car out!

Posted

Glos may be a while digging out, I see reports of 70 cm of snow in St John's with a bit of rain at the end to make it heavier to move.

Meanwhile Winnipeg and most of southern Manitoba has been hit by about 30 cm of wind-driven snow with roads closed and some power outages reported (a totally separate storm). In between it is about 10 C and raining in Toronto. Nothing much happening here on the west coast, just clear and a bit on the cold side of normal, sleet expected later.

Posted

Glos may be a while digging out, I see reports of 70 cm of snow in St John's with a bit of rain at the end to make it heavier to move.

St Johns escaped the worst, around 50-55cm. Reports of upwards of 70cm to around 90cm a bit further West. They thought we were going to get that but the system moved further West than forecast and it tapered off here around 11am - Midday on the Friday (began 4pm Thursday) before some drizzle then freezing drizzle crept in later in the afternoon. Bit further West it kept snowing heavily till the evening, they got over 24hours of blizzard conditions.

Was a hard cleanup, the snow was heavy and wet as it was and yes not helped by the drizzle on top.

It's not lasting long though it's been above freezing since the end of the storm with 2-4 degrees and fog and drizzle over the weekend, today is a touch warmer and sunny like spring out, think we will be lucky to have more than 10-15cm in patches left before it turns freezing again tomorrow, almost immediately after the storm grass was visible on exposed areas as these areas don't get more than a dusting in a blizzard.

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/blogs/ryansnoddon/2013/01/massive-blizzard-is-one-to-remember.html

Edited by glosteroldboy
  • Like 1

Posted

It has turned very mild in the last 24 hrs was +4c when i got up this morning..could reach +10c tomorrow and Thursday. I am going to let the snow that fell yesterday melt on my drive rather than getting the shovel out again!Posted Image

Posted

There are reports of up to 60cm widely the further West in the city, 90cm in the "bullseye"even further west, 50-60cm seems to be about right for St Johns though I have no idea how you measure it accurately when it's being blown about in 70-110kmph winds. It's amazing how well the city deals with it, I still hear the locals grumble that they aren't good enough sometimes but I tell them they should come to the UK and see how 2/3 inches of snow can bring some parts to a complete standstill for days. Friday afternoon as soon as you had dug out the car and what the plow had put infront of the driveway you could drive around with the care most roads were clear (though alot narrower with snow banks either side), by Saturday morning life was back to normal and 99% of places were open again...business as usual.

The melting above freezing conditions since the storm have aided the clean up, had it froze straight after would have been more work, though I believe they're struggling a bit in the downtown areas with it's tightly packed streets and lots of vehicles....they literally remove every drop of snow downtown after each storm whereas away from the main city they can just plow it back so far, we have no sidewalks around the streets here and the roads a few feet narrower, it's going to freeze again from this afternoon for the foreseeable so the plows may be around again to grade things back a bit further though generally as long as the minor streets and roads are wide enough for 2 vehicles they seem to leave it like that.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Out of interest, which is the best forum for chat about the weather in the US? Sadly this thread is relatively quiet and I'm curious as to the current and upcoming US weather.

Posted

Out of interest, which is the best forum for chat about the weather in the US? Sadly this thread is relatively quiet and I'm curious as to the current and upcoming US weather.

i Think most people who post in this section live in Canada..as for the US pretty much an East/West split coming up soon East becoming very cold and potentially very snowy..West mild dry and relatively sunny.

Posted

The U.S. equivalent to net-weather is

http://americanwx.com

you might want to lurk there if you want in-depth U.S. weather, as CM says, a cold wave is heading southeast later this week and the party is over for the northeast (it has been spring-like) and Great Lakes -- they are going to see heavy lake effect squalls, then a widespread 10-20 cm snowfall event on Sunday, then bitterly cold air straight from the central arctic -- that is bypassing Alberta this time and heading through Ontario towards New York state. By Tuesday it could be -40 (F/C) in rural portions of eastern Ontario, southern Quebec and upstate NY and Vermont for overnight lows and -20 C in the daytime.

Vancouver meanwhile had a bit of snow, call in the army (2 cm I think it was), oh it's gone now, send the army home.

• Like 3