Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Just like I said we had no new snow at all, even though we were under a snowfall warning of upto 25cm's. It happens everytime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just like I said we had no new snow at all, even though we were under a snowfall warning of upto 25cm's. It happens everytime.

we had a wack of snow during the day yesterday when they forecast 5-10cm then the big hit was going to be last night with another 15-20cm falling..but it petered out yesterday evening had no real extra snowfall at all..even the guy on the radio this morning joked with the met guy that we never get the high end numbers from snowfall warnings so why bother because it never happens
  • Like 1

Posted

we had a wack of snow during the day yesterday when they forecast 5-10cm then the big hit was going to be last night with another 15-20cm falling..but it petered out yesterday evening had no real extra snowfall at all..even the guy on the radio this morning joked with the met guy that we never get the high end numbers from snowfall warnings so why bother because it never happens

We always laugh in town that when they put up a snowfall warning its safe to go to the city lol.

Always the biggest snows come from no warning. I remember May 8, 2008 so well for a forecast of upto 15cm's and we got 67cm's downtown and 82cm's up at the high townsites.

Edited by canadiancoops

Posted

16 degrees here today, snow looks a long way off at the moment though looks like a chillier weekend coming up before mild again.

Unlike last year I think we may be in for a quite a mild and snow free Nov/Dec, apparently this happened 2 years ago there was barely a flake in December before the heavens opened early January that winter and barely stopped till the end of March with metres of stuff and plenty of Nor'easters. Last winter gave regular smallish falls from end of Nov to early Feb then not much else really, a real lack of Nor'easters.

Wonder what winter will bring though come March, last winter was my first winter here and by Newfie standards it was a good winter....by my English standards it was still a great deal of snow (must of been arounf 2.5 metres in total) and cold. I have yet to experience what would be classed as a bad winter here.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

16 degrees here today, snow looks a long way off at the moment though looks like a chillier weekend coming up before mild again.

Unlike last year I think we may be in for a quite a mild and snow free Nov/Dec, apparently this happened 2 years ago there was barely a flake in December before the heavens opened early January that winter and barely stopped till the end of March with metres of stuff and plenty of Nor'easters. Last winter gave regular smallish falls from end of Nov to early Feb then not much else really, a real lack of Nor'easters.

Wonder what winter will bring though come March, last winter was my first winter here and by Newfie standards it was a good winter....by my English standards it was still a great deal of snow (must of been arounf 2.5 metres in total) and cold. I have yet to experience what would be classed as a bad winter here.

your like for cold and snow will disappear pretty rapidly believe me.

Posted

lol...you old cynic CM...Victor Meldrew would be impressed....BUT I agree. Moved here loving snow....still love the snow but hate 6 months of frigid weather. Maybe thats why Glos still loves it as they have many breaks from the cold cold weather

Posted

lol...you old cynic CM...Victor Meldrew would be impressed....BUT I agree. Moved here loving snow....still love the snow but hate 6 months of frigid weather. Maybe thats why Glos still loves it as they have many breaks from the cold cold weather

you know what really hacks me off..and that's shoveling the drive and footpaths...i have had to do it 5 times already this season..hoping for no more snow until next OctoberPosted Image

Posted

i do like a prolonged freeze up. Here it does seem you can get a lot of snow some winters(isn't St Johns the snowiest major city in Canada?) but like you say there are milder interludes which melts a lot of it.

The weekend was colder here but back to mild and even sunny today clear blue skies, 16 degrees out feels almost like summer!

Posted

I would have thought overall this year here is one of the warmest on record, Spring, Summer and Autumn continues to chuck in temperatures well above the norm:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=Record-breaking_warmth_in_Atlantic_Canada__but_rain_on_the_way_for_Newfoundland_13_11_2012?ref=ccbox_weather_category1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

St Johns is one place I would have moved to because the winters appeal to me, but it appears your winters are too unreliable and prone to mild weather.

Posted

Its been quite pleasant the last few days - gradually warming up every day. We achieved 2oC yesterday with quite a bit of ice melt. I say ice melt as the snow had already gone but when we got the storm last week it was warm and melted at first then it froze and we got lots of snow. Result was a thick layer of ice around town everywhere on roads and sidewalks. Luckily this is beginning to melt otherwise we would have risked having this for the winter like a few years ago.

Posted

St Johns is one place I would have moved to because the winters appeal to me, but it appears your winters are too unreliable and prone to mild weather.

A lot of snow is still pretty much guaranteed last winter was classed as good here and we still seen around 2.5 metres of snow, the average is something like 3.6m, a bad winter could see 7m. November and December aren't really known for a great deal of cold and snow, though last November we had 30cm storm (was a record for the month) and December was actually pretty cold with regular falls through out the month, Christmas Day was white with snow on Christmas Eve and a big freeze after think didn't get above minus 4 on the big day. Jan/Feb/March are seen as the best winter months for big snow storms, though last winter did disappoint a bit once we got past early February, after we had 4 storms in the space of a week in late Jan/early Feb which bought about a metre of snow in a week it turned very marginal here the track of the storms meant St Johns region was on the warmer/rainy side with areas further west in Newfoundland getting the snow. We did see a couple more storms in March and even last day of April but by then any snow soon vanishes once the sun comes out.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yeah I appreciate a below average winter in St Johns regarding snow would be unimaginable here.. I hate your seasonal lag in spring too!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Its been quite pleasant the last few days - gradually warming up every day. We achieved 2oC yesterday with quite a bit of ice melt. I say ice melt as the snow had already gone but when we got the storm last week it was warm and melted at first then it froze and we got lots of snow. Result was a thick layer of ice around town everywhere on roads and sidewalks. Luckily this is beginning to melt otherwise we would have risked having this for the winter like a few years ago.

Snow hasnt gone here

Posted

Yeah I appreciate a below average winter in St Johns regarding snow would be unimaginable here.. I hate your seasonal lag in spring too!

I have only been here just over a year so last winter was my first taste, was pretty great coming from a pretty snow starved part of the UK. You do get used to it quickly, when you see 10cm forecast it's kind of nothing really, saw some pretty good storms in the 20-30cm range, I am still waiting to witness a big 45cm+ storm though most of the locals hate the snow so am not too vocal!

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Well, most of western Canada now covered in 20-40 cms snow but the coast is still green. Our earlier drought has been broken and the grass has turned a more normal looking colour but compared to most years the ground is relatively dry, you can golf without getting your shoes wet if not raining (usually the ground here gets waterlogged and occasionally frozen or snow-covered Nov to about early Feb, so the golf season tends to go semi-dormant although some courses stay open).

Snow on local mountains appears to be down to around 600m elevation.

I was thinking about the vast snow interest on NW, perhaps Paul Sherman would like to look into a snow tour in the Great Lakes snow belt region, if anyone wanted to come over for an informal snow "chase" (more like the other way around) I could suggest dates, places etc and come down to join in (you would want someone with my snow squall experience as well as driving in snow experience). I would not bring a vehicle that far, rental from YYZ or some other location, and my suggestion on timing is late January (in part because that's seasonal peak for lake effect and synoptic scale winter storms, and also this winter, full moon and northern max events). Could be epic. Finding heavy snow squall bands is much easier than chasing tornado risks, the reliability is close to 100% in many situations. Maybe the NW guys will think about making this a project, but as a one-off informal non-business type of event, would suggest 7-10 days and flights are cheap London to Toronto in late January, so are most motel rates outside of ski resort areas in the "snow belt." So if anyone is interested, PM me about it. I may do it solo and post some pics or video, miss the lake effect (it snows maybe 2-3 times a winter here).

Long term, GFS is showing an east coast snowstorm for 26-27 Nov, that might be worth monitoring.

• Like 3

Posted

Long term, GFS is showing an east coast snowstorm for 26-27 Nov, that might be worth monitoring.

Around the same time we had the first storm last year, if it happens and makes it up here. In the immediate term it's wet, wet wet here, rainfall warnings out for 60-90mm of rain beginning last night until tomorrow morning. Turned much colder though from highs of 17 the last 2 days, the weekend looks much chillier with below freezing nights and daytime temps not much above, maybe winter is about to kick in a bit.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Roger thats a great idea. I was thinking of doing the same myself. I know people in the Collingwood area that report to me about the lake effect and all around the bruce peninsula. Places like Gravenhurst have been directly hit big time the last few years. I almost moved to Collingwood and would love to experience the lake effect snow squalls as opposed to the snow grains we get here :-(

Posted

Drenching rain, heavy snow and howling winds this week are battering the Northwest, the one part of the USA where dismal weather could disrupt Thanksgiving travel plans. The storm began Monday, and "the wet and windy weather will persist through Wednesday as one system after another moves through the area," according to the National Weather Service in Seattle.

As of late Monday, all of Washington state was under some weather warning. The wild weather also is forecast to continue this week in Oregon, Northern California, Idaho and Montana. In Montana, blizzard warnings are in effect through today. While a brief break is possible on Thanksgiving Day, more bad weather should return by Friday.

Heavy rain fell Monday in Seattle. The weather service reported 1.49 inches by midday, breaking a 50-year-old record. The weather service warned of landslides in the Seattle area because of heavy rain. The storm has claimed at least one life: A hunter along the Oregon coast was killed when a tree fell on him. In Washington, a mudslide carried a tree into a Washington State Patrol trooper's car and another vehicle, causing both to start burning. The trooper was uninjured and able to free the driver of the other car, who was left with a sore neck.

Up to 30 inches of snow is possible over the next couple of days in the Washington Cascades, according to the weather service. The heavy snow could lead to travel problems between western and eastern Washington, says Jay Albrecht, a weather service meteorologist in Seattle. He says the rain and low clouds could lead to flight delays for air travelers. Flooding also is a concern: A forecast from the Northwest River Forecast Center shows several rivers at flood stage, particularly in southwest Washington and northwest Oregon, according to University of Washington meteorologist Cliff Mass.

Winds were wild Monday. Naselle Ridge, Wash., measured a gust of 114 mph, AccuWeather reported, with 101 mph recorded at Megler, Wash., 98 mph at Yaquina Head, Ore. The wind downed trees, caused structural damage and put thousands of people in the dark Monday, AccuWeather meteorologist Kristina Pydynowski said. Storms aren't unusual in the Northwest this time of year. November usually is the wettest month in Seattle and Portland. Albrecht recounts an old Thanksgiving saying in Seattle: "If you have a turkey in the oven, the power will go out."

http://www.livingstondaily.com/usatoday/article/1715869?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%7Cs

Posted

Had a big fall in temp this morning went from +6c to -7c in the space of about 15 mins.

Posted

Had a big fall in temp this morning went from +6c to -7c in the space of about 15 mins.

Impressive stuff.

Looks more wintry here this week with first signs of some snowfall in the forecast, yesterday we had the big Santa Claus parade in the city temperatures pretty balmy for everyone that lined the streets!

Wednesdays system looks like maybe snow to rain event though I've been trying my amatuer best to watch the models and it looks like the low pressure going to take a more southerly track which I think is better for the snow prospects here, think the track of this system is going to have an impact on cold prospects for the UK they've been going mad in the model thread recently!

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Impressive stuff.

Looks more wintry here this week with first signs of some snowfall in the forecast, yesterday we had the big Santa Claus parade in the city temperatures pretty balmy for everyone that lined the streets!

Wednesdays system looks like maybe snow to rain event though I've been trying my amatuer best to watch the models and it looks like the low pressure going to take a more southerly track which I think is better for the snow prospects here, think the track of this system is going to have an impact on cold prospects for the UK they've been going mad in the model thread recently!

they are always going mad in the model thread..the mild air that was going to flood the prairies this week now looks like it wont happen..if anything its going to get progressively colder as the week goes on...this i think is good news for downstream pattern changes across Europe maybe not so good news for you in NewfoundlandPosted Image

Posted

they are always going mad in the model thread..the mild air that was going to flood the prairies this week now looks like it wont happen..if anything its going to get progressively colder as the week goes on...this i think is good news for downstream pattern changes across Europe maybe not so good news for you in NewfoundlandPosted Image

I call it the Moodel thread.

Had our first dusting of snow this morning, quite slippy on untreated roads, you know just enough snow that gets compacted into ice always seems worse than when there's a few inches down.

Looks like snow to rain tomorrow then back to snow as the cold air is dragged back in. The rest of the week then chilly with flurries, next week milder. Sort of thing you expect here at this stage of the year.

The winter forecast for here has gone for above average temperatures and above average snowfall. I suppose it makes sense, I read the surrounding ocean is warmer than normal thanks to the warm spring/summer, more chance for battleground storms? These are what bring the biggest falls here with the right set ups.

Edited by glosteroldboy