Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Sorry to break it to you CM but this is my 8th summer here and they have all been crap. Time to move I am thinking.

Article yesterday still has EC saying hot and dry for western canada lol. Heard it all before

Posted

I'm on track (post 2227) for cool/wet, don't expect very rapid improvement although it should improve a bit in July and perhaps a lot in August.

Major news further south, severe heat in the central plains and Rockies, has spread almost as far north as the Canadian border and modified heat has reached eastern SK and southern MB. In Kansas and Nebraska, highs of 115 F (46 C) at two locations on Tuesday set all-time records for June and in the Nebraska case, all months. I am expecting this severe heat to build further east and reach the east coast in waves that may also become as severe as famous heat waves in 1911 and 1936. Daily records from those years are currently being either tied or broken in the central plains.

Around Colorado Springs south of Denver, severe forest fires have forced thousands to evacuate as suburban areas come under attack from downsloping fires fed by southwest winds and temperatures at foothill elevation of 40 C (25-30 C even in the higher slopes). Lamar CO further east hit 44 C (111 F) on Tuesday.

Severe flooding past few days in parts of central B.C. with small rivers turning into mile-wide flows of mud, rocks and meltwater as the winter snow pack is still melting in the alpine. Worst of this was at Sicamous, on the TCH west of Revelstoke, Highway 97A to Vernon has been closed for days due to bridge washouts. Pictures on the news of multiple cars swept by floods into a rocky mess left behind (these were mostly parked vehicles swept out of their carports) -- although these don't look very damaged, there's no way to retrieve them easily as they are quite some distance from any place that heavy equipment can move the rocks yet.

As usual, just bland nothingness here, which is why I spend so much time on weather forums.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I'm on track (post 2227) for cool/wet, don't expect very rapid improvement although it should improve a bit in July and perhaps a lot in August.

I have found the 2 previous summers to this one have been cool and wet through June and July before petering out as August arrived. Maybe this year will be the same?

Posted

Yeah it generally gets good here around mid July and by good I mean no snow and temps above 15oC - August is hit and miss but September and October always seems to deliver sunny weather but just cooler. In the mountains here I can probably count on one hand the amount of times in the past 8 years I could sit out in the evening without a jacket.

Oh and so cold last night we have lots more snow on the hills and even at times so wet snow in the air. Lots of precip and flooding again.

Posted

I think you're generally right, June is not known for summer weather in western Canada, as you've noticed, Canadians tend to view the seasons as being better defined astronomically and hardly anyone thinks of June 1 to end of August as summer. I never did even back in Ontario where early June can be summer-like. We expected the hot weather to start when school let out in late June and last just beyond Labour Day to perhaps the 10th-15th of September. But out west here, June has the reputation of being a wet month and in fact farmers in this region hope it will be, as we often get into modified drought under the Pacific ridge after mid-July. In Vancouver, the locals figure that mid-July to opening of the P.N.E. (around Aug 20th) is reliable summer vacation time and they don't expect much even from early July, although in the 16 years that I've been living in this region, I haven't noticed much difference from early to late July. Most of the heat waves we have had here in my time would fall into the last five days of July through mid-August. And there has been a noticeable trend in the data for September to improve relative to other months since 1995 which is convenient since that's the month we moved out here. I think there have only been two "bad" Septembers out of seventeen in that period, bad meaning the autumn rains started early. But as I used to golf every Saturday well into November, the impression was that the real wet season here was second half of October to New Years, then a period when snow was more likely than rain, then a sort of not as bad rainy season Feb to May, a couple of weeks of dry weather, a wet June and then summer.

That plains heat keeps cranking, but today there's a wind with it, Hill City KS 1100 local time was 106 F with a 35 mph SW wind, no doubt heading for 115 again today.Glad the storm chasers didn't have to deal with that (not that they would target a zone with those conditions but you might have to drive through or stick around).

Posted

Regularly have a look at the weather in the destinations I've been to in the USA. Just had a look at PHX - this week, they reckon locally it will get up to 115F. That is incredible heat! This morning it was 90F at 1am!

Meanwhile in Death Valley it is close to 50C.

Posted

Regularly have a look at the weather in the destinations I've been to in the USA. Just had a look at PHX - this week, they reckon locally it will get up to 115F. That is incredible heat! This morning it was 90F at 1am!

Meanwhile in Death Valley it is close to 50C.

We have an office in Phoenix,,right now its 38c at 11.20am..high today and the rest of the week will be 45c...just ;looking around our other American offices Chicago may hit 40c tomorrow...and Denver is 37c right now.

Posted

You're in the wrong office

Posted

You're in the wrong office

Its a shame they dont have a London office because i would ask for a transfer.

Posted

I often think that if you love your summers dry and sunny and your winters cold and snowy then you should live in San Diego from April to October, and then move to Green Bay or Minneapolis from October to March. San Diego has the best summer climate; look at those temperatures today (around 21oC at 10am under clear skies). The midwest is just too hot in the height of summer; 38oC+ in humidity is totally unbearable. I used to hate New York from mid-June to late August with high humidity and hot temperatures, plus it really stinks in summer! Chicago is a little more bearable thanks to Lake Michigan, but it still feels very uncomfortable (as I bet it is right now). No-one can enjoy temperatures of 35+ whilst having to go about your normal routine.

Posted

Some more all-time (not just daily) June records set on Thursday including 109 F at St Louis MO, 106 F at Evansville, IN, and 104 at Indianapolis. (43, 41, 40 C).

The more severe heat is replacing ordinary heat on the east coast overnight -- a station in eastern WV is reporting 33 C at 0300h local time (!) in a downslloping westerly wind. Severe thunderstorms have developed in central PA from a former lake breeze convergence zone in nw PA. These will rumble through PHL and possibly BWI then dissipate in the daytime, to be followed by the blast furnace conditions that made it about as far as eastern Ohio to western North Carolina before midnight. Expecting highs of about 41 C in parts of VA and NC today. The heat is not ending further west, these fronts dropping south are very weak and the heat tends to redevelop quite easily once they dissipate. The real frontal zone is well to the north of Chicago to about central Lake Huron then southeast to New York City which could be in a slightly less torrid sector about 33-35 C today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Record-breaking heat will blanket a broad swath of the U.S. today, with some places potentially experiencing temperatures higher than ever officially observed in June. A few places may even break all-time records. Above, we have the latest breaking developments including records as they are tied and broken, and the impacts of the heat.

Live coverage of the Historic June Heat can be followed below

http://www.weather.com/news/record-june-heat-live-updates-20120629

Posted

no big heat in my part of the world average 22c 70f

Posted

The extreme heat and, probably more to the point, the heat index is expected to last over the weekend in some areas. The two main warnings.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

948 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WILL PERSIST THROUGH THE WEEKEND...

.A STRONG HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL SETTLE OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN

UNITED STATES THROUGH THE WEEKEND...RESULTING IN DANGEROUSLY HOT

CONDITIONS ACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

NCZ007>011-021>028-038>043-073>078-083>086-088-089-301000-

/O.CON.KRAH.EH.W.0001.120630T1000Z-120702T0300Z/

/O.CON.KRAH.HT.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-120630T1000Z/

PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-

ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-

WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-STANLY-MONTGOMERY-MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-WAYNE-

ANSON-RICHMOND-SCOTLAND-HOKE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...HENDERSON...

WARRENTON...ROANOKE RAPIDS...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...

HIGH POINT...BURLINGTON...CHAPEL HILL...DURHAM...LOUISBURG...

NASHVILLE...ROCKY MOUNT...LEXINGTON...ASHEBORO...PITTSBORO...

RALEIGH...SMITHFIELD...WILSON...ALBEMARLE...TROY...

SOUTHERN PINES...SANFORD...LILLINGTON...GOLDSBORO...WADESBORO...

ROCKINGHAM...LAURINBURG...RAEFORD...FAYETTEVILLE...CLINTON

948 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EDT SATURDAY...

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SATURDAY TO

11 PM EDT SUNDAY...

* LOCATION...MOST OF THE PIEDMONT...SANDHILLS...AND COASTAL

PLAIN OF NORTH CAROLINA. THIS INCLUDES THE TRIANGLE AREA...

FAYETTEVILLE...GOLDSBORO...AND ROCKY MOUNT.

* HIGH TEMPERATURES...100 TO 105 DEGREES SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.

* HEAT INDEX VALUES...107 TO 114.

* TIMING...THE HOTTEST TEMPERATURES AND HIGHEST HEAT INDICES ARE

EXPECTED BETWEEN 100 PM AND 600 PM EACH DAY. TEMPERATURES WILL

BE SLOW TO COOL DURING THE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT HOURS...

ENHANCING THE THREAT FOR HEAT RELATED ILLNESSES.

* IMPACTS...CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF EXCESSIVE HEAT HAS A CUMULATIVE

AFFECT ON THE HUMAN BODY. HEAT OF THIS MAGNITUDE AND DURATION

CAN TRIGGER HEAT-RELATED ILLNESSES LIKE HEAT EXHAUSTION OR

HEAT STROKE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A PROLONGED PERIOD OF DANGEROUSLY HOT WEATHER IS EXPECTED. THE

COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL CREATE A

SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF

WATER...STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM...STAY OUT OF THE

SUNSHINE...AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

TO REDUCE RISK DURING OUTDOOR WORK...THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND

HEALTH ADMINISTRATION RECOMMENDS SCHEDULING FREQUENT REST BREAKS

IN SHADED OR AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENTS. ANYONE OVERCOME BY

HEAT SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED LOCATION. HEAT STROKE

IS AN EMERGENCY...CALL 911.

RESIDENTS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA ARE URGED TO REVIEW HEAT

SAFETY PRECAUTIONS ONLINE AT HTTP://WWW.NWS.NOAA.GOV/OS/HEAT

..........................................................................................................................................................

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

936 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

...RECORD BREAKING HEAT THIS AFTERNOON AND ALSO EXPECTED TO

CONTINUE THIS WEEKEND...

HOT TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND WITH HEAT

INDICES RANGING FROM 100 TO AROUND 105.

INZ021-028>031-035>049-051>057-060>065-067>072-300945-

/O.CON.KIND.EH.W.0001.000000T0000Z-120702T0000Z/

CARROLL-WARREN-TIPPECANOE-CLINTON-HOWARD-FOUNTAIN-MONTGOMERY-

BOONE-TIPTON-HAMILTON-MADISON-DELAWARE-RANDOLPH-VERMILLION-PARKE-

PUTNAM-HENDRICKS-MARION-HANCOCK-HENRY-VIGO-CLAY-OWEN-MORGAN-

JOHNSON-SHELBY-RUSH-SULLIVAN-GREENE-MONROE-BROWN-BARTHOLOMEW-

DECATUR-KNOX-DAVIESS-MARTIN-LAWRENCE-JACKSON-JENNINGS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAFAYETTE...FRANKFORT...KOKOMO...

CRAWFORDSVILLE...ANDERSON...MUNCIE...INDIANAPOLIS...TERRE HAUTE...

SHELBYVILLE...BLOOMINGTON...COLUMBUS...VINCENNES...BEDFORD...

SEYMOUR

936 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT

SUNDAY...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT

SUNDAY.

* VERY HOT TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED THIS WEEKEND...WITH AIR

TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 90S AND LOW 100S. ADDITIONAL RECORDS

ARE EXPECTED TO BE BROKEN THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

* IMPACTS: HEAT RELATED ILLNESS SUCH AS HEAT EXHAUSTION OR HEAT

STROKE ARE A REAL THREAT. DEHYDRATION CAN OCCUR QUICKLY. THIS

EXTENDED PERIOD OF HEAT WILL ALSO CAUSE DROUGHT CONDITIONS TO

WORSEN...AND RAISE THE CONCERN FOR WILDFIRE DEVELOPMENT ACROSS

THE AREA.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN

POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR

EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE. WEAR

LIGHT WEIGHT AND LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE AND DRINK

PLENTY OF WATER. PETS WILL NEED PLENTY OF WATER. PEOPLE AND PETS

SHOULD NOT BE LEFT IN CARS.

ANYONE OVERCOME BY HEAT SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED

LOCATION. HEAT STROKE IS AN EMERGENCY...CALL 9 1 1.

post-12275-0-25613500-1341042990_thumb.j

post-12275-0-86125700-1341043017_thumb.j

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A handy page for looking up the records

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/records/

Posted

St Johns pushing close to a July record today, 29 degrees so far. Would of thought definitely be a Canada Day record?

Typical that it gets hot when I'm back in England for a few weeks where the weather is quite frankly abysmal for July....16 degrees today but at least it's dry briefly anyway.

Posted

crap weather here all long weekend - some moments of warm sunshine but mostly breezy, overcast and rainy at times. Tried sitting on the deck yesterday but went inside at 6:30pm - too cold. Miserable really. 8-10 weeks left of possible warm/hot weather then it starts getting a lot cooler. I wouldnt mind one night I can sit outside.

Posted

Hope I catch you in time, Rich and CM, looks very nasty for late morning and mid-day tomorrow (Tuesday) as a fast-moving front will develop explosively over the Calgary region. Could turn into a major hail and thunderstorm event. Not as concerned about strong winds although it will get quite breezy afterwards. This is only a weak feature at present in central B.C. but the 12h prog shows rapid development over the Rockies. Would expect rapid onset around 0900h MDT.

Posted

Well while we get the wrong side of the jet stream with more and more rain, the US are looking forward to a not so happy 4th July:

Americans facing a sweltering Fourth of July without power - as death toll hits 22 from weekend storms

• Heat emergency in eastern U.S., with high temperatures expected for July 4 holiday
  • At least 22 deaths reported from the devastating storms from Ohio to North Carolina
  • Storm leaves 232 passengers stranded on Amtrak train overnight on Friday
  • West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland and Ohio declared states of emergency
Posted Image

Across the eastern U.S., people are struggling through a third day of devastating heat with no electricity, and it appears there is no relief in sight ahead of the July 4 holiday. Their groceries are long gone, either used up in weekend cookouts or left to spoil in refrigerators that have been rendered useless. The usual frozen treats people turn to on a hot summer day have melted away. The basics of daily life are difficult: Washing machines won't work without electricity, leading to some creative wardrobes. Bottled water has gone from luxury to necessity for people whose underground wells aren't pumping.

Posted Image

The weekend storms have left 22 people dead, and about 2.1 million homes and businesses from Illinois to New Jersey were still without power, with the biggest concentration in and around the nation's capital. Utility companies say it could be days before the lights are on again. Not a whole lot was functioning at the Springvale Terrace nursing home and senior center in Silver Spring: No air conditioning, no cable, no automatic doors for elderly residents using walkers who otherwise struggle to navigate them. Window air-conditioner units were brought in to cool rooms, and director Antonio Hill and his staff had to empty spoiling food from refrigerators and freezers in nursing units - sometimes over the loud objections of residents who insisted their melting ice cream was still good. Generators provided electricity in common rooms, where TVs showed movies on old VHS tapes, including the 1932 classic 'Grand Hotel.' Residents coped as best they could.

Posted Image

Ninety-three-year-old Margaret Foster and 95-year-old Helen Ofsharick passed the time outside. 'You wouldn't want to live this way more than a day or so,' Foster said. 'There are sick people here, or people who don't think too well. They need help.'

Great Falls is one of the wealthiest areas in the nation, in Virginia just outside Washington, with mansions spread across secluded, wooded lots. But because the city is so sparsely populated, it's not a top priority for crews trying to get as many people back online as quickly as possible. 'Great Falls always seems to be the first to go down and the last one to come back up,' said resident Patrick Muir, a patent attorney who was raiding water bottles from his powerless office to supply his home, which is on a well that was not operating. Most of the community remained without power Monday.

Posted Image

A Safeway supermarket tried to remain open with a limited power supply and handed out free bags of dry ice. But the air inside was stale. Shopping carts with spoiled food, buzzing with flies, sat outside the store. When the storms first rolled through Ohio on Friday, Natalie Driscoll's electricity went out. It came back a few hours later, only to be knocked out again Sunday when another storm swept through. 'My 2-year-old thought it was kind of fun at first,' said Driscoll, the mother of two children. 'She got to play with the new flashlights' that the family bought after the first outage. Mom wasn't so amused. She packed her bags and took the children from their Springfield, Ohio, home to stay with her parents in Upper Sandusky, about two hours away.

Driscoll also loaded two coolers with food, hoping to save it from certain spoilage in the family's freezer and refrigerator. Her husband stayed behind at their home. 'It looked like somebody pulled a Christmas tree down and laid it in our yard, instead of putting it by the curb,' said Driscoll, 28. 'Thankfully, nothing hit our house.' After Hugh Neill and his wife, Diana, lost power late Friday, they spent the night at home before deciding against a hot and sticky weekend in Washington without electricity.

'I am not a summer person,' said Diana. 'She is not a summer person, echoed Hugh, 77 and retired.

Posted Image

So they got rid of all their food - 'total refrigerator, total freezer, total everything,' Diana explained - and booked a hotel room in nearby Crystal City, Virginia. They've eaten their meals out and have made periodic trips home to gather belongings.

The only hiccup came when they had to rent a car because Diana's car, the one with air conditioning, is still in the shop.

Although their electricity appeared to have been restored by Monday afternoon, the couple was not taking any chances and planned another night at their hotel. Author Thompson, a retired truck driver, said he's had to navigate a labyrinth of roads to get patients to the Baltimore VA Medical Center. He's a volunteer who drives people to their appointments. 'It's been a royal pain today because going out, trying to pick patients up, there are roads closed, lights out, trees still down all over the place. You have to back track all over the place just to pick people up,' said Mr Thompson, 54.

Posted Image

A neighbor borrowed a generator and ran power cords to nearby houses so folks in the neighborhood could run their refrigerators and save their groceries. Leo Welsh repeatedly dialed the number to his Columbus, Ohio, home on Monday, hoping to hear the sweet sound of an answering machine indicating his electricity had been restored. By lunchtime, he resigned himself to the fact there was no answer. 'Getting worked up about it is not going to make the power come on any sooner,' said Mr Welsh, 33, a nursing home administrator.

Among the dead were three people in North Carolina when a sudden storm struck on Sunday, battering homes and uprooting trees. A 77-year-old man was killed in Pitt County when high winds collapsed a barn on top of him. In neighboring Beaufort County, a husband and wife died when a tree crushed their golf cart. At least six people were killed in Virginia, including a 90-year-old woman asleep in her bed when a tree slammed into her home. Two young cousins in New Jersey were killed when a tree fell on their tent while camping. The Department of Environmental Protection said the boys were killed early on Saturday at Parvin State Park in southwestern New Jersey's Salem County. Authorities said the boys' families had been camping together when the storm hit and to be safer the families decided to huddle together in one tent.

Posted Image

Emergencies have been declared in Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio, Washington, D.C, and Virginia. Virginia Gov Bob McDonnell said the state had its largest non-hurricane outage in history, as more storms threatened. 'This is a very dangerous situation,' he added. In the north-east of the country from Indiana to New Jersey, and further south in Virginia, officials warned the heat wave could take a toll on the elderly, young or sick.

Problems from the storms during the triple-digit heat wave ranged from a damaged prison in Illinois to felled trees lying across train tracks. Some 232 passengers on an Amtrak train were stranded for more than 20 hours in West Virginia on Friday.

The storm that whipped through the region was called a derecho - a straight-line wind system that sweeps over a large area at high speed. The storm, which saw gusts of up to 90mph began in the Midwest, passed over the Appalachian Mountains and then drew strength from a high pressure system as it hit the southeastern U.S., said Bryan Jackson, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. Other deaths were reported in Maryland, Ohio, Kentucky and Washington.

Posted Image

In Washington's northern Virginia suburbs, emergency 911 call centers were out of service. Residents were told to call local police and fire departments. Huge trees toppled across streets in the nation's capital, crumpling cars. Cell phone, cable TV and internet service was patchy, gas pumps dried up and homeowners were urged to conserve water.

The power outages were especially dangerous because they left the region without air conditioning in an oppressive heat wave.

Temperatures soared to highs in the mid-90s Saturday in Baltimore and Washington, a day after readings of up to 104 degrees were reported in the region.

Three Baltimore City fire companies set to permanently close this week were staying open several more days to help cope. n West Virginia, 232 Amtrak passengers were stranded on Friday night on a train blocked on both sides of the tracks by toppled trees. Brooke Richart, a 26-year-old teacher from New York City, was among the passengers stranded for 20 hours. She read half a book and took walks outside the train, which had light, air conditioning and food the entire time. But she called the wait 'trying.' 'Thankfully we could go in and out of the train because we were there so long. If you wanted to stretch your legs or take a walk, you could,' she said. Amtrak spokesman Steve Kulm said passengers were taken away by buses Saturday night.

Posted Image

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

http://youtu.be/H7OzbBXhW-g

• Like 1

Posted

crap weather here all long weekend - some moments of warm sunshine but mostly breezy, overcast and rainy at times. Tried sitting on the deck yesterday but went inside at 6:30pm - too cold. Miserable really. 8-10 weeks left of possible warm/hot weather then it starts getting a lot cooler. I wouldnt mind one night I can sit outside.

Good long weekend here mostly sunny and warm..got one storm sunday morning for 30 mins thats was it.

Posted

Hope I catch you in time, Rich and CM, looks very nasty for late morning and mid-day tomorrow (Tuesday) as a fast-moving front will develop explosively over the Calgary region. Could turn into a major hail and thunderstorm event. Not as concerned about strong winds although it will get quite breezy afterwards. This is only a weak feature at present in central B.C. but the 12h prog shows rapid development over the Rockies. Would expect rapid onset around 0900h MDT.

I see that 5 tornadoes touched down in central Alberta yesterday afternoon..here in Calgary we had nothing not even a shower..was a little bit breezy that's all.