Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Mild months can be milder here than in Britain, even if the average in most parts of Canada is far lower. In southern Ontario they have seen 18-20 C in January and a mild February there would average about 10 C in the daytime, so comparable to a mild February in England. But of course the cold end is a lot colder. Same goes for Alberta, January 1954 was about 20 degrees above normal in Alberta, you don't see that kind of range in too many places.

By the way, some amateur weather station in Alaska had a reading of -80 F the other day, or so it is claimed, close to a tie for the state record. It was -81 F in Snag, Yukon (no longer an active station) near the Alaska border around this time in 1947. So there's a similar teleconnection as far as the Baltic at least. Seems to lose its high correlation over the Atlantic as that was a very very retrograde two month period both sides of the N Atlantic.

The weather here could not possibly be more boring, but we do stand a chance of seeing some mild sunshine this weekend, and I'll take any sort of change from this drab near-normal nothingness.

Posted

It got up to 10 C here today, melted the 3-4inches of snow that fell over the weekend. Looks like being very boring weather here for at least the next week. I think this january has been one of the mildest for a long time in this region, also one of the least snowy. I'm still hoping for a couple of late winter snowstorms but it doesn't look that likely at the minute.

-80 F is pretty phenomenal was it colder further inland i.e Yukon/NWT?

Edited by leicesternosnowzone

Posted

Have to say it's pretty exciting here atm, though I guess there's always some kind of weather be it rain, snow, wind (often all 3 together) or caked in fog, then if you do get sunshine it's also greatyl appreciated.

I think official snowfall amounts was 21cm for yesterday and 18cm on Saturday (had 26cm the weekend before) with up to a further 10cm forecast for tomorrow and there was talk of a big "weather bomb" snow storm on the weekend but still to early to say for sure.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

According to NOAA Storm Prediction Centre the prelim. count for tornados in January is 70, the third highest since accurate records began in 1950.

Edited by weather ship
  • Like 1

Posted

Stormy here again this morning, 3rd storm in 6 days .Environment Canada calling for 10cm so maybe not too bad though is blowing again but based on their track record these past few weeks at prediciting amounts it will end up more like 15cm+.

Everyone seems to be hyping up (therefore probably end up being nothing and bypassing us!) a big storm for tomorrow night/Saturday which would make it a very snowy 7 days.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

17cm we got in the end, another one in the eye for the forecasters.

I make that just under 60 cm of snow in the past 6 days and around 90cm the past 2 weeks, it's really piling up now, with more to come Saturday though they seem to be saying the worst of it will be out at sea maybe 10cm now though going by the forecasters track record this week that probably means a direct hit and 30+cm lol

Edit, looking good now for a big storm:

St. John's and vicinity

3:49 PM NST Thursday 02 February 2012

Winter storm watch for

St. John's and vicinity issued

A developing low pressure system has the potential to bring significant snowfall, strong winds, and blowing snow over the Avalon Peninsula Friday night into Saturday.

This is an alert to the potential development of dangerous winter weather conditions in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A developing low pressure system northeast of Cape Hatteras will rapidly deepen Friday as it tracks northeastward to lie southeast of the Avalon by early Saturday morning.

Observational data and analysis has shown that this low is developing further north than previous forecasts. This northward trend indicates that it may track closer to the Avalon. A northward shift in the track of this low increases the potential for significant snowfall accumulations, high winds, and blowing snow overnight Friday and into Saturday for the Avalon Peninsula - especially the Eastern Avalon.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts as warnings may need to be issued as new information becomes available.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Blizzard warning in effect for eastern Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas.

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM MST /MIDNIGHT

CST/ THIS EVENING TO 5 PM MST /6 PM CST/ SATURDAY...

* TIMING/DURATION...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW ACROSS EASTERN

COLORADO DURING THE EVENING AND SPREAD ACROSS SOUTHWEST

NEBRASKA AND NORTHWEST KANSAS DURING THE REMAINDER OF TONIGHT

AND FRIDAY. SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY

MORNING BEFORE DIMINISHING LATE SATURDAY. GREATEST SNOWFALL

ACCUMULATIONS WILL OCCUR FROM EARLY FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH

FRIDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW/ICE ACCUMULATIONS...THERE WILL BE A WIDE RANGE IN THE SNOW

AMOUNTS. BY LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON...THERE WILL BE 3 TO 7

INCHES OVER GREELEY AND WICHITA COUNTIES AND INCREASE TO 8 TO 12

INCHES ALONG THE INTERSTATE. NORTH OF THE INTERSTATE 8 TO 17

INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE. AT THIS TIME THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS WILL

EXTEND FROM YUMA COUNTY TO ALONG THE KANSAS AND NEBRASKA BORDER.

* WINDS/VISIBILITY...WINDS WILL TURN NORTH TONIGHT AND INCREASE

TO BETWEEN 20 AND 35 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 45 MPH. THE AREA OF

STRONGEST WINDS WILL SPREAD EASTWARD ON FRIDAY AND FRIDAY

NIGHT. WIDESPREAD AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH

VISIBILITIES OF ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS ARE EXPECTED.

* OTHER IMPACTS...THIS STORM IS EXPECTED TO CREATE DANGEROUS IF

NOT IMPOSSIBLE TRAVEL CONDITIONS AND WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT ANY

OTHER OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS STRONG WINDS AND FALLING OR BLOWING SNOW

WILL PRODUCE WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES...WITH TRAVEL BECOMING

DIFFICULT OR IMPOSSIBLE. MONITOR LOCAL FORECASTS BEFORE DECIDING

TO VENTURE OUTSIDE. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL AND YOU BECOME STRANDED...

STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL HELP ARRIVES.

&&

Posted

Glos, the weekend storm looks like about a 5-6 on the 10 point scale of "weather bomb" type lows, in other words a significant storm but only about half the impact of a really bad storm (these will come, the season tends to peak late Feb into Mar). I would say 20-30 cms most likely range for this one, and northerly winds to 80-100 km/hr at peak. Don't think it can miss given the accuracy stats of the GEM regional model. But central pressure is only in the 980s, some of these go down well below 960 mbs and give 50 cms with 120 km/hr winds.

The weather in the west here is toasty now, sunny on Thursday and near 10 deg, likely to edge up towards 12 C next few days in a mild southerly flow. Alberta will be almost subtropical (15-18 C possible).

Posted

Glos, the weekend storm looks like about a 5-6 on the 10 point scale of "weather bomb" type lows, in other words a significant storm but only about half the impact of a really bad storm (these will come, the season tends to peak late Feb into Mar). I would say 20-30 cms most likely range for this one, and northerly winds to 80-100 km/hr at peak. Don't think it can miss given the accuracy stats of the GEM regional model. But central pressure is only in the 980s, some of these go down well below 960 mbs and give 50 cms with 120 km/hr winds.

The weather in the west here is toasty now, sunny on Thursday and near 10 deg, likely to edge up towards 12 C next few days in a mild southerly flow. Alberta will be almost subtropical (15-18 C possible).

Thanks Roger. Yeh doesn't sound too big a storm, they've issued a blizzard warning and about 20cm forecast though they've been wildly underestimating the snow amounts all week so I would think 30cm possible. Strong winds though so expect deep drifts and we've allready had about 60cm of snow since last Saturday on top of 26cm from the week before which only partially melted so beginning to really pile up!

Posted

DENVER - In addition to the various alerts and advisories already issued throughout the state, the Colorado Avalanche Information Center issued an avalanche warning for the Front Range Mountains east of the Continental Divide.

Heavy snowfall has made areas east of the Continental Divide vulnerable for avalanches.

With possible accumulations of up to two feet, the new snow can overwhelm the existing snowpack. Avoid traveling on or under slopes steeper than 30 degrees. This applies to the Front Range east of the Continental Divide.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/246262/222/Huge-snowstorm-slams-eastern-Colorado

Posted

Here's a radar link for the eastern Newfoundland storm which has already started ...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WTP

looking at the latest RGEM, I would say upgrade that earlier assessment to a 6-7 on ten point scale, storm drops to 960 mbs after passing east of St John's, probably could expect 25-35 cms now and winds NNE 70-100 km/hr. Still not the top end of the scale, pretty impressive by any other standards than eastern Newfoundland.

Posted

Some nasty weather in Nebraska today.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HASTINGS NE

748 PM CST FRI FEB 3 2012

...SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA THROUGH SATURDAY...

.A POWERFUL WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE ACROSS THE AREA

THROUGH SATURDAY. SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO GRADUALLY MIX IN WITH RAIN

THIS EVENING...WITH PRECIPITATION EVENTUALLY SWITCHING OVER TO

ALL SNOW. SNOW...WHICH WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL THEN PERSIST

OVER THE AREA TONIGHT THROUGH MUCH OF SATURDAY...BEFORE TAPERING

OFF SATURDAY EVENING. SUSTAINED NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS OF 15 TO

25 MPH... ACCOMPANIED BY GUSTS TO NEAR 35 MPH...WILL ALSO BE

OBSERVED WITH THIS STORM SYSTEM. THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOWFALL

AND STRONG WINDS WILL SEVERELY RESTRICT VISIBILITIES...MAKING

TRAVEL DIFFICULT...IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

KSZ005-006-017-NEZ039>041-046>049-060>064-072>077-082>085-041000-

/O.CON.KGID.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-120205T0000Z/

PHILLIPS-SMITH-ROOKS-VALLEY-GREELEY-NANCE-SHERMAN-HOWARD-MERRICK-

POLK-DAWSON-BUFFALO-HALL-HAMILTON-YORK-GOSPER-PHELPS-KEARNEY-

ADAMS-CLAY-FILLMORE-FURNAS-HARLAN-FRANKLIN-WEBSTER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PHILLIPSBURG...SMITH CENTER...

PLAINVILLE...STOCKTON...ORD...FULLERTON...LOUP CITY...ST. PAUL...

CENTRAL CITY...OSCEOLA...LEXINGTON...KEARNEY...GRAND ISLAND...

AURORA...YORK...ELWOOD...HOLDREGE...MINDEN...HASTINGS...

CLAY CENTER...GENEVA...BEAVER CITY...ALMA...FRANKLIN...RED CLOUD

748 PM CST FRI FEB 3 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST

SATURDAY...

* PRECIPITATION ACCUMULATION...STORM TOTAL SNOW AMOUNTS OF 8 TO

12 INCHES ARE LIKELY...WITH ISOLATED SNOW AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF

ONE FOOT NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.

* WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH...AND GUSTS

NEAR 35 MPH...WILL CAUSE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* IMPACTS...WIDESPREAD SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE

DRIFTING...AND POOR VISIBILITY FOR ANYONE TRAVELING TONIGHT

AND SATURDAY. AS A RESULT...TRAVEL WILL BECOME VERY

DIFFICULT...IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF

SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN

AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...

FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

&&

Posted

Here's a radar link for the eastern Newfoundland storm which has already started ...

http://www.weatherof...x_e.html?id=WTP

looking at the latest RGEM, I would say upgrade that earlier assessment to a 6-7 on ten point scale, storm drops to 960 mbs after passing east of St John's, probably could expect 25-35 cms now and winds NNE 70-100 km/hr. Still not the top end of the scale, pretty impressive by any other standards than eastern Newfoundland.

I'm not sure what happened but it wasn't that bad here, the winds were and still are high so some deeper drifts but the snow was always light I can't see we got much more than 10cm, 15cm max but be interested to see the official readings for different parts of the Avalon as perhaps the St Johns region escaped the worse this time.It was worse here Tuesday and Thursday I think, Tuesday especially much more intense colours on the radar where we got 21cm and also high winds. I had a feeling it would go like this, everyones been on about this storm all week and it doesn't live up to 3 so called minor storms the previous week which delivered more snow.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

It was just over 10cm in the end from the weekends storm. Disappointing in the end considering 20-30cm was forecast and maybe more,it stuck around well into Sunday with the high winds, just not the snow. Though I think a good thing it wasn't too bad, we've had around a metre of snow since January 20th and are starting to run out of places to put it. Remaining cold and more in the forecast later this week.

Posted

It was just over 10cm in the end from the weekends storm. Disappointing in the end considering 20-30cm was forecast and maybe more,it stuck around well into Sunday with the high winds, just not the snow. Though I think a good thing it wasn't too bad, we've had around a metre of snow since January 20th and are starting to run out of places to put it. Remaining cold and more in the forecast later this week.

I'm working on a design for a snow plough that sucks the snow into the plough and heats the snow super fast and converts it to steam to power the plough and excess is released into the air. It would def eleviate problems for your part of the world.

Posted

I'm working on a design for a snow plough that sucks the snow into the plough and heats the snow super fast and converts it to steam to power the plough and excess is released into the air. It would def eleviate problems for your part of the world.

Lol genius. It would certainly be easier to deal with the snow if it could be melted somehow then disposed of as water in drains, rivers etc, as we all know snow is around 10 to 1 times of greater volume than it's water equivalent. I suppose it would use way to much energy though. I know city centre area they come in overnight and load the snow onto trucks and tip it in the harbour,everywhere else though it's really building up everywhere else, haven't seen a sidewalk for weeks here and the roads are about 4 feet narrower each side. Everyones expecting the big council snow blowers to be around soon to start firing all the snow off the roads and sidewalks into gardens, was told if it gets really bad and they will also remove it completely with trucks but needs to be right bad for that.

Lol genius. It would certainly be easier to deal with the snow if it could be melted somehow then disposed of as water in drains, rivers etc, as we all know snow is around 10 to 1 times of greater volume than it's water equivalent. I suppose it would use way to much energy though. I know city centre area they come in overnight and load the snow onto trucks and tip it in the harbour,everywhere else though it's really building up everywhere else, haven't seen a sidewalk for weeks here and the roads are about 4 feet narrower each side. Everyones expecting the big council snow blowers to be around soon to start firing all the snow off the roads and sidewalks into gardens, was told if it gets really bad and they will also remove it completely with trucks but needs to be right bad for that.

Places in Japan use warm water sprinklers http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/article.html?entrynum=60

Posted

Weather warning here:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO

149 AM MST THU FEB 9 2012

.A FAST MOVING WINTER STORM CONTINUED TO MOVE THROUGH THE REGION

DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS. MOST LOCATIONS REPORTED LIGHT

SNOWFALL...HOWEVER THE UNCOMPAHGRE GORGE REGION OF THE NORTHWEST

SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS WAS THE EXCEPTION. AUTOMATED SNOW SENSORS

WITHIN THE HIGHWAY 550 CORRIDOR FROM OURAY SOUTH TO RED MOUNTAIN

PASS INDICATED AS MUCH AS 7 INCHES OF NEW SNOW HAS ACCUMULATED

OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS. THE STRONGEST PORTION OF THE STORM WAS

JUST MOVING THROUGH THE AREA AND THEREFORE SNOWFALL INTENSITY IS

EXPECTED TO DECREASE DURING THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT BECOMING

SCATTERED IN NATURE BY MID MORNING.

COZ018-091600-

/O.NEW.KGJT.WW.Y.0010.120209T0849Z-120209T1600Z/

NORTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OURAY...TELLURIDE...LAKE CITY

149 AM MST THU FEB 9 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM MST THIS

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND JUNCTION HAS ISSUED A

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM

MST THIS MORNING.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE DURING THE REMAINDER OF THE

NIGHT...DECREASING TOWARD DAWN AND FINALLY BECOMING LIGHT AND

SCATTERED BY MID MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...5 TO 10 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS

...MAINLY FOR AREAS ALONG THE 550 CORRIDOR SOUTH OF RIDGWAY TO

THE TOP OF RED MOUNTAIN PASS.

* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH.

* VISIBILITY...LESS THAN 2 MILES...DROPPING TO 1/2 MILE IN HEAVIER

SNOW SHOWERS EARLY THIS MORNING.

* IMPACTS...TRAVELERS ON HIGHWAY 550 SOUTH OF RIDGWAY CAN EXPECT

ICY AND SNOW PACKED ROADS...ESPECIALLY OVER RED MOUNTAIN PASS.

TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS DURING THE ADVISORY PERIOD.

Posted

Places in Japan use warm water sprinklers http://www.wundergro...tml?entrynum=60

I see interesting, makes sense as long as you can get the water drained away and not let it freeze up.

Apparently we've seen 183cm so far this winter, lagging behing Terrace BC with 331cm:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=Newfoundland_braces_for_another_powerful_storm_03_02_2012?ref=link_poll_thanks

Got a warning out for a further 15-25cm overnight, sounds quite a quick intense storm heralding a milder coupleof days with rain on the cards for Sunday.

Posted

Ouch, bitter weather:

.STRONG HIGH PRESSURE OVER CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN SASKATCHEWAN WILL

PROVIDE FOR DANGEROUS WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES FRIDAY MORNING.

WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES WILL RANGE BETWEEN 30 BELOW AND 35 BELOW

ZERO IN PLACES LIKE BOTTINEAU...ROLLA...RUGBY...HARVEY...AND

CARRINGTON.

CLEAR SKIES AND VERY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR AGAIN FRIDAY

NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING. TEMPERATURES OF AROUND 15 BELOW

ZERO...COMBINED WITH WIND SPEEDS OF 5 TO 10 MPH...COULD RESULT IN

DANGEROUS WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES BETWEEN 30 BELOW AND 35 BELOW

ZERO FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH MID MORNING SATURDAY. PLACES LIKE

BOWBELLS...SHERWOOD...BOTTINEAU...ROLLA...RUGBY...HARVEY...AND

CARRINGTON COULD BE AFFECTED BY DANGEROUS WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES.

Posted

Slushy morning here, was snowing heavy when went to bed, lots of yellows and reds on the radar, was expecting around 15cm at least of fresh snow with a little bit of rain this morning but must of turned to rain earlier than forecast.Some dissapointed kids (and adults judging by facebook comments!) waking up expecting a snow day lol, further west they seem to have got more in the way of snow.

Not liking the look of Sunday with 7 degrees and 40mm of rain forecast, do some severe damage to the snow cover though it's about 2+ feet deep with the bottom foot like ice so may hang on although could do with getting rid of some to make some room for the next batch. Though looks like our run of cold and snow is over for the time being anyway

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

What a day yesterday, horizontal rain from start to finish. Water everywhere with 2 feet of snow cover and most of it melting, drains were more like fountains. If only it was snow I think we'd be digging out all day today so perhaps glad it wasn't.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=20764

Posted

Whats the winter prospects looking like over the coming weeks for my area and other parts in general? Still looks well above average in many areas, we've got some snow in the forecast along with rain so pretty marginal, temperatures not really deviating much above or below freezing so not exactly cold or too mild though certainly above average.