Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

0.6c and snowing at Central Park. 1.1c with light snow at La Guardia (dew point of 0.0c, so quite marginal).

I'm sure all nor'easters form in the Gulf of Mexico- it's generally a subtropical cyclone with polar tendencies as it gets modified.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nor'easters are lows coming from the south west. They form in the gulf of mexico, get loads of precipitation as it tracks across the east coast. It pulls in a lot of cold arctic air as they drive north and give quite cold air to the eastern seaboard area; sometimes delivering copious amounts of snow.

You are correct that they orriginate well south west in the southern stream of the Jet Stream however not all originate from the GOM. This particular one is part of the same system which produced snow over Texas and has since travelled north east and developed.

Look at the pressure and wind for the link i gave you all and you will see that it is centred just off shore and is producing NE winds onshore, a classic I95 nor'easter.

http://www.accuweather.com/maps-surface.asp

http://www.accuweather.com/us/satellite/ei/ne/satellite.asp

0.6c and snowing at Central Park. 1.1c with light snow at La Guardia (dew point of 0.0c, so quite marginal).

I'm sure all nor'easters form in the Gulf of Mexico- it's generally a subtropical cyclone with polar tendencies as it gets modified.

The dynamics are completely different.

A nor'easter is cold cored, the reason they develop an eye like feature is because of both strength and vertical stacking, however they are cold cored and form due to the massive thermal gradiant between the gulf stream and the north eastern states.

I am sure some of you are confusing Gulf Stream with GOM.

Posted

It's complicated.

The actual low centre will generally develop over the southern states, leave the coast around North Carolina and then track right upto the coast due to the earth being spherical and the topography of the eastern USA.

This is the current detailed chart, xcweather is also good as it covers the USA now...

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/cur_ec_720x486.jpg

Illustrated the chart to show the general Jet Stream track for a nor'easter...

post-1806-0-64379900-1319913049_thumb.jp

Thats generally where they come from over their lifetime but fairly weak until they get into the sea (the current one will have lost 40mb over 2 days - bombing).

As they swing though, the cold front can go through the GOM.

Posted Image

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

Warnings for Westchester have been upgraded to 10-14 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Incredible..

Posted

I'll make this promise now guys, whenever there is a nor'easter i will be glued to this thread. I can't believe i have been missing them for the 2cm events we see in London.

• Like 1

Posted
Posted

A nor'easter isn't a low coming from the w/sw a nor'easter travels up the seaboard and usually affects new England.

Same thing, yes it is a nor'easter.

They either get nor'easters (unless the low comes too far west/north) or they get lows traveling W-E across Canada (hence why they can get lake effect snow).

Manhattan currently has gusts to 21mph, NE wind and snow.

Posted

9 inches in Sparta, New Jersey - another 4-5 hours of snow likely.

A nor'easter isn't a low coming from the w/sw a nor'easter travels up the seaboard and usually affects new England.

A low traveling up the seaboard is by default moving SW/NE because that is the shape of the coast (i illustrated a map on the previous page).

What we were arguing about earlier was the lows origins which are not in the GOM.

A weak low forms in the southern states, gets out to sea and then bombs as it moves along the coast.

Posted

Latest New York radar. Odd really I'm normally in this thread virtually on my own.

I put a call out in the seasonal winter threads which seemed to attract people.

We had 32 people viewing the thread earlier, plus regular posts attract people to read.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

We had 32 people viewing the thread earlier, plus regular posts attract people to read.

Yes I have been watching this one, October as well. Wonder how many trees (many still with leaves) will fall with this heavy wet snow.

Posted

Sparta, New Jersey is now at 10 inches as of 10pm.

This is incredible.

Yes I have been watching this one, October as well. Wonder how many trees (many still with leaves) will fall with this heavy wet snow.

Theres a lot of trees down all over in the suburbs of New York.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

I just love snow - and am loving this thread even though I'm no where near you LOL. Can anyone remember if you had a similar event in 1990-91?

Posted

8 inches in Yorktown, New York. Westchester was looking good earlier so we need an observation from there.

I just love snow - and am loving this thread even though I'm no where near you LOL. Can anyone remember if you had a similar event in 1990-91?

I'm not in New York, i'm just posting because its exciting (heaviest stuff is yet to come).

I've no idea, the biggest New York events seem to be Feb 79, Feb 06 and Dec 10.

Definitely has the classic nor'easter eye.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

West Milford is at 12 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Any cams for these places with laying snow as its yet to lay in New York I think?

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Sparta, New Jersey is at 11 inches at 11pm.

I hav'nt really been looking at cams so not sure but will keep my eye out for pictures and cam links.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

1ft of wet snow lying in lowland maritime ne usa in October- brilliant.

Snowstorm1- I think it IS lying in NYC Posted Image

Don't think its lying on this link http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/ ?

and woah that is amazing :p