Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

More thunderstorms around Chicago knock out the electrical grid:

3:28 a.m. CDT, August 3, 2011

Strong storms moved through McHenry and Lake counties and the possibility of more storms later tonight sparked thunderstorm watches for most of the Chicago area. But the damaging weather should bring relief from recent blistering heat. Meanwhile, ComEd was reporting 36,000 outages across the Chicago area, with the most occurring in the north suburbs, which had been plagued by power loss in previous storms.

A thunderstorm warning for McHenry, Lake, northwestern Cook and northeastern Kane counties expired at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday after storms moved through the north and northwest suburbs, downing tree branches and knocking out power to some areas. But Cook, DuPage, Lake, McHenry, Kane, Kendall, Will and 12 other Illniois counties, as well as southeastern Wisconsin and northwest Indiana were under a thunderstorm watch that expired at 1 a.m.

Of the 36,000 outages reported as of 3 a.m., the northern region had the majority with 15,000; the southern region had 12,000; Chicago and its immediate western region had about 6,800, down from 12,400 and the western region had only 2,700 customers without power, according to ComEd spokesman Bennie Currie. Temperatures dropped precipitously following the first round of storms, with readings going from 90 degrees at 6 p.m. in Waukegan to 75 degrees at 7 p.m., after more than a half-inch of rain fell during a fast-moving storm. But with weather yet to hit many parts of the area, temperatures still hovered in the upper 80s and low-90s at many area weather stations.

Union Pacific Northwest and North line trains were stopped for a time this evening because of the weather, according to Metra. For updates on train service, check the agency's Web site. The heat index edged into the triple digits throughout the Chicago area Tuesday afternoon, with 93-degree heat at O'Hare, Midway and the lakefront feeling like 103 degrees or even hotter by midafternoon. But that was the last day -- for this week anyway -- of stifling heat and humidity before thunderstorms and cooler temperatures sweep into the area.

Temperatures in the low 80s, or even 70s near the lake, are expected for today, according to forecasters. For updates on the weather, check the Chicago Weather Center. In the last month, Chicago and suburban residents have seen an almost constant cycle of either sweltering heat or violent thunderstorms. At least 15 deaths in Cook County have been attributed to heat and storms have left hundreds of thousands without power

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-one-more-brutallyhot-day-before-cooler-temps-return-20110802,0,2645786.story

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

More of the United States was in exceptional drought in July 2011 than in any other month in the past 12 years, according to the National Climatic Data Center. The worst of the drought is spread across Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and parts of Arizona, Colorado, Nebraska, and Louisiana. But 26 percent of the lower 48 states experienced severe to extreme drought in July.

On the other hand, about 33 percent of the contiguous United States experienced exceptionally rainy weather in July. The wet weather occurred largely in the Northern Plains and Western states.

These weather patterns—the mix of unusually dry and unusually wet—are reflected in plant growth throughout the month. The image shows plant growth in July compared to average conditions. Places where plants were growing more than average are green, while unusually poor growth is shown in brown. The image was made with data from the Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer on the NOAA-18 POES satellite.

The worst growing conditions are, unsurprisingly, in the Southern Plains. States throughout the region reported poor pasture conditions and struggling crops. Much of the southeast and eastern United States is also mildly dry. These dry conditions weren’t helped by temperatures in July. For most of the United States, July was unusually hot, drying the soil and baking crops.

The Northern Plains and Western States, on the other hand, experienced a cool, rainy July. California had its eighth rainiest July on record, while Montana, North Dakota, Utah, Wyoming, and South Dakota all received above-average rain. This is reflected in plant growth, particularly in Montana and South Dakota.

The culprit behind these unusual weather patterns is a persistent high pressure system that is steering storms away from the south central United States. Based on current conditions, the Climate Prediction Center expects the drought to last through at least the end of October. In some parts of the South, it would take more than 20 inches of rain to end the drought in a month.

Courtesy NASA.

NASA Earth Observatory image created by Jesse Allen, using data provided by the United States Department of Agriculture Foreign Agriculture Service and processed by Jennifer Small and Assaf Anyamba, NASA GIMMS Group at Goddard Space Flight Center. Caption by Holli Riebeek.

Posted

Quite a sharp cold front through British Columbia overnight, on the weekend it was sunny and hot (my current location is in southeast BC) near 32 C, last night it got very windy and rained hard most of the night and you can see fresh snow as low as 1800 metres on the nearby peaks. Down here it's about 13 C at 0900 and the showers have not totally ended but it's looking that way on radar to the southwest as we head home. If you're reading this in Alberta, look out, the front could go severe in Calgary and southern Alberta later today.

Posted

Quite a sharp cold front through British Columbia overnight, on the weekend it was sunny and hot (my current location is in southeast BC) near 32 C, last night it got very windy and rained hard most of the night and you can see fresh snow as low as 1800 metres on the nearby peaks. Down here it's about 13 C at 0900 and the showers have not totally ended but it's looking that way on radar to the southwest as we head home. If you're reading this in Alberta, look out, the front could go severe in Calgary and southern Alberta later today.

We have indeed had some cracking rain this morning with high winds and very cold compared to the warm weather this weekend. Thankfully it will be shortlived as the forecast is for 5 straight days of blue skies andlow to mid 20'S...Perfect (Oh and we have snow on the mountains too...I was surprised to see that after 26oC yesterday)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Was rather chilly last night in my neck of the woods..areas to the west of the city got down to -2c..luverly sunny day here today cool and fresh.

Posted

Woke up to the 3rd morning of frosts here. Daytime's are lovely and warm with the next week set to be between 23oC -28oC and blue skies but its cooler at nights so you can sleep....perfect summer weather

Woke up to the 3rd morning of frosts here. Daytime's are lovely and warm with the next week set to be between 23oC -28oC and blue skies but its cooler at nights so you can sleep....perfect summer weather

Sounds very nice.

Here's it's around 28 C and humid. Hopefully some severe thunderstorms will blow through to cool things off.

Posted

Hello everybody,

Sorry if I do not post in the right forum !

I would just like to inform you that I settled in Yukon Territory in June 2009.

I have a weather website to share with you climate and weather conditions in Northern Canada (61N), specially in winter when temperatures could fall down the -40's.

Here is a link to my website: http://meteowhitehorse.ca.

I am French and come from French Alps, do not hesitate to let me know if there is any mistake in English Posted Image !

If you have any idea, if you want to exchange links, if you want to ask questions about the climate up here, just let me know.

For now, we are almost in fall, the summer has been very poor, with a lot of rain and overcast conditions (it was totally different in 2009 & 2010).

In september, days will go shorter, with first snow. Mid october, we will be in winter till end of March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Hello everybody,

Sorry if I do not post in the right forum !

I would just like to inform you that I settled in Yukon Territory in June 2009.

I have a weather website to share with you climate and weather conditions in Northern Canada (61N), specially in winter when temperatures could fall down the -40's.

Here is a link to my website: http://meteowhitehorse.ca.

I am French and come from French Alps, do not hesitate to let me know if there is any mistake in English Posted Image !

If you have any idea, if you want to exchange links, if you want to ask questions about the climate up here, just let me know.

For now, we are almost in fall, the summer has been very poor, with a lot of rain and overcast conditions (it was totally different in 2009 & 2010).

In september, days will go shorter, with first snow. Mid october, we will be in winter till end of March.

We have an office and an ongoing project in Whitehorse (although i have never been)..winters are similar to Edmonton with regards temp and precip..summers are cooler than here..speaking of which we hit 30c for the first and i suspect last time yesterday..best weekend of the year so far.

Posted

Hello Cheeky Monkey,

To answer your comment, here the 71/00 averages for Whitehorse airport and Edmonton airport (Wh/Edm):

January:

Tn: -22.0/-19.1

Tx: -13.3/-8.0

Tm: -17.7/-135

July:

Tn: 7.7/9.5

Tx: 20.5/22.2

Tm: 14.1/15.9

Annual average:

Tn: -5.9/-3.8

Tx: 4.5/8.5

Tm -0.7/2.4

I would say that Whitehorse is 3C colder than Edmonton, mainly on the highs. We have the Pacific influence, and Whitehorse is warmer than other cities as Watson Lake or Haines Junction in YT, or Yellowknife in NWT.

Even my station, located 20 kms north of Whitehorse, but behing a hill, is about 2C colder than the airport, specially in winter. We had 7 -40s the past winter, there was none at the airport.

About the summer, July and August were mainly overcast and wet. What a difference with last year and 2009 !

Fall is already there, an in less a couple of weeks, it will be magic with yellow, orange and red colours.

Posted

Hi everybody,

Here are some pictures I took this weekend.

Fall is there, and in two weeks it will really be magic Posted Image !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some more news later this week !

Posted

Good morning everybody !

9.2C actually, overcast and windy.

The wind plays here an important factor, specially in winter. While Whitehorse is very close to the Pacific, our weather conditions are influenced by depressions coming from south,

We are however protected by mountain ranges, and a dry and mild wind is then blowing.

This explains why Whitehorse is not as cold as other cities located far east around 60N.

You can have some data about our climate here and reports of the station here,

About weather conditions in the territory, we have this morning at 5:00 between 2C in Carmacks and 10C in Watson lake.

About weather forecast, mainly cloudy, windy and 17C this afternoon.

Posted

Hello everybody,

+1.0C this morning. Here, it is quite a cold spot for Whitehorse' area.

In the territory, temperatures are 1C in Carmacks, 3 in Arctic areas and Whitehorse, 4 in Dawson and Faro, 5 in Haines Junction, 8 in Old Crow and Teslin, and 9 in Watson Lake.

Today should be a quite sunny day, we will try to enjoy it Posted Image

About the forecast for following days, temperatures should be cool, but we may have some "not so bad" days.

Have a good day Posted Image !

Posted

And so the great summer weather continues. Temps due to hit 30oC today. In the past 6 weeks the daytime temps have only dropped below 20oC twice from my record keeping, with the average being close to 25oC. Nightime temps have def warmed up this week. It was 20oC at 8am on my way to work earlier this week and last night it was 20oC at 9pm. Long may it continue as I know what will be here in a few months...

Posted

Lucky Canadiancoops !

We even didn't get 30C this year, and only 12 days above 25 this year (4 in May, 4 in June and 4 in July), only 2 days above 20C in August...

Now we are preparing the house for the winter Posted Image !

We have now 13.3C, low of 0.4, high of 14.4. And, no rain today !

Posted

Just got back from the desert southwest, Las Vegas set a new daily record for Tuesday (23 Aug) at 110 F (43 C) but with the low humidity you can take the severe heat in the shade. In the sun it feels like somebody is pouring boiling water on your skin.

(the friends I have ...)

Today in Vancouver it was sunny and 23 C, felt refreshingly cool after that.

The morning low by the way in Las Vegas was something like 28 C. Yeah right.

Posted

Hello everybody,

Second frost of the most with -1.4C.

In the territory, temperatures vary at 5:00 between -2 in Haines Junction and +10 in Watson Lake.

The weather should be, as yesterday, mainly sunny in the morning, mainly cloudy in the afternoon.

Here is the link to my webcam, you should be able to see some haze, mainly over the riverbed at sunrise around 6:30-7:00.

http://meteowhitehorse.ca/webcammeteowhitehorse.jpg

Have a great day Posted Image !

Posted

Hello everybody,

Second frost of the most with -1.4C.

In the territory, temperatures vary at 5:00 between -2 in Haines Junction and +10 in Watson Lake.

The weather should be, as yesterday, mainly sunny in the morning, mainly cloudy in the afternoon.

Here is the link to my webcam, you should be able to see some haze, mainly over the riverbed at sunrise around 6:30-7:00.

http://meteowhitehor...owhitehorse.jpg

Have a great day Posted Image !

That looks so nice and peaceful there, however not sure I could cope with the very short summers. Its bad enough here.

Just got back from the desert southwest, Las Vegas set a new daily record for Tuesday (23 Aug) at 110 F (43 C) but with the low humidity you can take the severe heat in the shade. In the sun it feels like somebody is pouring boiling water on your skin.

(the friends I have ...)

Today in Vancouver it was sunny and 23 C, felt refreshingly cool after that.

The morning low by the way in Las Vegas was something like 28 C. Yeah right.

I hear you Roger...some friends lol

That is some minimum - I went to Las Vegas for new years and the day time high was 2oC - It was actually warmer in canada where I live for that one day...such extremes

Posted

Good morning everybody !

Thanks Canadiancoops !

In fact summers can here start as early as at the end of April. Summers, due to the proximity of the Pacific, are milder and cooler here in Whitehorse than in Dawson (500 kms north).

We can reach the 30C, and have very beautiful days, mostly in April and May that are drier than June-August. In September, it is definitely the transition month before 6 months winter.

If you want, you can have a look at the reports of the station or the WU graphs.

About weather conditions, it is now milder, with 6.6C, a bit windy and overcast with a chance of rain showers in the afternoon. Highs should be 15C.

Have a good day !

Good morning everybody !

Thanks Canadiancoops !

In fact summers can here start as early as at the end of April. Summers, due to the proximity of the Pacific, are milder and cooler here in Whitehorse than in Dawson (500 kms north).

We can reach the 30C, and have very beautiful days, mostly in April and May that are drier than June-August. In September, it is definitely the transition month before 6 months winter.

If you want, you can have a look at the reports of the station or the WU graphs.

About weather conditions, it is now milder, with 6.6C, a bit windy and overcast with a chance of rain showers in the afternoon. Highs should be 15C.

Have a good day !

What is it like to have a max of -35C? Have you ever tried that throwing a cup of boiling water into the air and it freezing experiment?