Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..
Pennsylvania a friend would like to know if snow would be coming her way soon ???? thanks

Posted

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid58616497001?bctid=681374388001

Look how happy they all are.lol

WINNIPEG -- The season’s first major dump of snow in southern Manitoba has made driving conditions dicey, with road crews in Winnipeg and across the province battling winter’s blast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

That frigidly cold large pool looks set to expand south across the US for Thanksgiving. A big start to winter across large swathes of the NH looks on the cards and suggestive of a locked in/repetitive pattern.

BFTP

Posted

That question about snow in PA -- would depend on what region, but that region will stay relatively mild until about Thursday then some snow is possible on Friday unless we're talking about the PHL (southeast PA) region where it is more likely to be a dry cold. The snow further west and north would be mostly lake-effect from Lake Erie and this usually dies out beyond the height of land in the Allegheny Mountains running through central PA. A few light flurries sometimes hold together almost to the east coast, but amounts are usually very light.

But this pattern developing favours snow in the Great Lakes region and Ohio valley rather than the east coast, at least south of NYC, New England should do well this winter. The storm track will probably stay mostly north of a line from about Nashville TN to Baltimore MD and keep things relatively mild in Virginia and further south. In that pattern, PHL would be in the transition zone and get a few light to moderate snowfalls but nothing like last winter's mega-dumping through February. I do expect a more snowy end to winter for those regions as the cold expands towards mid-February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Havin my lunch and it is a fresh -26c outside...looks like it will dip below -30c tonight..before warming up later in the week.

Posted

Out here on the coast it has dropped to -10 C and the wind is E-NE 20-30 mph (some places more like 35-50) and so the wind chill is about -23 C. Clear now, was cloudy most of yesterday. The snow we had a few days ago is still there on grassy surfaces but everything has frozen solid now, the roads and sidewalks are dry with bits of ice in a few spots. Snowstorm is developing down around Wyoming and heading for the upper Great Lakes region by Thursday.

Meanwhile, it has been quite warm on the east coast, at least south of Boston, with the high on Monday 18 C at NYC, and heading for 20 C today in most of the major cities, with a cold front that will drop readings closer to normal on Wednesday, then back up again on Thursday when the western low arrives. On Friday, heavy snow squalls and much colder in the Great Lakes region, but this outbreak will only give a glancing blow to the northeast U.S. as it heads quickly east for the Maritime provinces instead. However, Friday will become very windy in the northeast with this thermal gradient very pronounced across upstate NY and New England -- could see temperature drops of 10-15 deg in three hours on Friday morning as this front arrives.

Posted

Interesting reading reports from the Rockies, given I visited Banff and Vancouver in October this year, I know where places like Canmore look like and the terrain.

It would appear some exceptional early season cold has descended on west canada if the bbc forecasts are anything to go by, maxima of 07 and -9 degrees in Vancouver must be a near record. I am doubting these forecasts very much,they can't be real can they? I was reading a book which had average maxima in Vancouver at this time of year of 9 degree similiar to here.. Can anyone confirm what the maxima is at Vancouver at present...

Interestingly I seemed to visit Canada during a remarkable spell of late autumn warmth, my last day in Calgary on the 20th was greeted by blue sky and sunshine with maxima of 20 degrees!! it felt like a mid summers day.

Posted

Interesting reading reports from the Rockies, given I visited Banff and Vancouver in October this year, I know where places like Canmore look like and the terrain.

It would appear some exceptional early season cold has descended on west canada if the bbc forecasts are anything to go by, maxima of 07 and -9 degrees in Vancouver must be a near record. I am doubting these forecasts very much,they can't be real can they? I was reading a book which had average maxima in Vancouver at this time of year of 9 degree similiar to here.. Can anyone confirm what the maxima is at Vancouver at present...

yes its been exceptionally cold across western canada and would not be surprised if some records were broken here for November..we are looking at windchill values close to -40c here by the end of the night with lows again below -30c.

its that cold even though i have double glazing and the heating on full i still have a thick layer of ice on the inside of the windows!!

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

yes its been exceptionally cold across western canada and would not be surprised if some records were broken here for November..we are looking at windchill values close to -40c here by the end of the night with lows again below -30c.

its that cold even though i have double glazing and the heating on full i still have a thick layer of ice on the inside of the windows!!

That's amazing! The coldest I've ever experienced in the daytime was when I went to Scotland last December/January. Driving through Crianlarich on a crystal clear, sunny day (just after midday) the temperature was -11C. That was pretty interesting. I don't think I can begin to imagine what -30C feels like with a -40C windchill...that's just insane!

The temperature this morning was around -1C and that's cold enough for me!!

Posted

Extreme cold here - infact record breaking for Nov 22/23 here last few nights - got down to -39.6oC air temp in the Bow Valley with wind chill close to -45oC

I spoke to someone in Vancouver who said it was -10oC and they had snow...for November this is unusual

I have a pic of my morning commute with the car temp reading -33oC...I'll post it in a bit

Here's the pic showing -33oC

post-4391-0-94585500-1290621376_thumb.jp

Posted

Extreme cold here - infact record breaking for Nov 22/23 here last few nights - got down to -39.6oC air temp in the Bow Valley with wind chill close to -45oC

I spoke to someone in Vancouver who said it was -10oC and they had snow...for November this is unusual

I have a pic of my morning commute with the car temp reading -33oC...I'll post it in a bit

Here's the pic showing -33oC

is that a ford you are driving??..if so my EDGE always shows it to be 2c warmer than it actually is

Posted

is that a ford you are driving??..if so my EDGE always shows it to be 2c warmer than it actually is

Funny you should notice....it sure is. Also my friend mentioned his thermometer measured -35oC so based on what you say that would make sense

Posted

We have about 5 cms of snow so far today in Vancouver and expecting 5-10 more before it changes to rain on Friday. Currently -1 C and the snow falling in small flakes like a fog almost, roads greasy but passable. The core of this arctic cold air has shifted south into Montana and Wyoming now, allowing a return flow and weak chinook to warm up most of Alberta to near freezing.

It's very mild in Ohio and West Virginia today, 23 C at Charleston WV about 13 C above their normal. That very mild air has not quite reached the east coast but should before midnight to boost highs there to 15-17 C (currently sits at 10 C at DCA).

Turning much colder across the Great Lakes region on Friday with the first big squalls of the year likely.

Posted

We've had almost 50 cm in the last 7 days! There was a heavy snowfall of about 10 cm on November 18-19, about 12 cm on the 21st and then 23 cm over the 24-25th. I think there was a little more snow in there somewhere; all in all, it's been our snowiest November since 1996. (By contrast, last year saw a measly 1.4 cm in November and only 68 cm over the entire *winter*!) It's amazing to think that just a week ago there was no snow on the ground; it feels like forever ago because of how quickly and dramatically the landscape's changed. It's a winter wonderland out there now, hehe. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Weather has been fairly non discript the last 2 weeks very quiet not too cold although it is only -16c today no snow no wind nothing really..hoping we might get some snowfall wednesday and thursday..then sunny and cold over the weekend..times like this i miss the ups and down of the British winter!!

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

Weather has been fairly non discript the last 2 weeks very quiet not too cold although it is only -16c today no snow no wind nothing really..hoping we might get some snowfall wednesday and thursday..then sunny and cold over the weekend..times like this i miss the ups and down of the British winter!!

I was just saying this today. Its boring to be honest. Dont think we have had anything fall out of the sky for over 2 1/2 weeks. Not been really cold or warm here either. Day time temps have avergaed from -3oC to -10oC once the cold air went and -7oC to -18oC at night. Very quiet. Might mean we are in for a snowy Christmas though

Posted

Heavy lake-effect snow from the Great Lakes past two days, London (Ontario) has had 50-100 cms locally, with road closures. There are a few other locations downwind from various lakes that got buried in similar depths, in upstate NY and parts of Ohio and Michigan. But it's confined to narrow bands of lake effect.

Currently mild and raining here, about 10 C with a gusty SE wind.

Posted

Gone pretty sedate here as well. After the late-November snow dumping (55.6 cm in little more than a week), there's been little of note to remark on. There's a fast-paced little clipper system passing through tonight and tomorrow, but it's not depositing a lot of snow here (maybe 3-7 cm with some gusty winds).

Tomorrow's high is a positively balmy -1 C... but then the following day it's only -17, then -19, then -21. LOL. Who says we don't have ups and downs? :p

Posted

i had a spell of freezing rain this morning with a temp of -14c..dull and dreary now still well below freezing in the minus teens

Posted

i had a spell of freezing rain this morning with a temp of -14c..dull and dreary now still well below freezing in the minus teens

I'm no doubt being very thick here cm but it's not obvious to me how you can get freezing rain in these conditions. Don't get me wrong I'm not for one moment questioning your post, just wondering what I'm missing and the precip. didn't fall as snow.

Edit

Thinking about this I am being a bit thick. If that temp structure was just slightly different then the precipitation may originally have been of snow and just turning to rain. This would then hit the very cold layer and become supercooled and then bingo-freezing rain when it hits the surface. Time I stopped digging. :)

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

London, Ontario apparently has had a 3 day snowstorm with depths ranging from 100cm to 150cm.

These videos show the snow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0T9JfulPrg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi4L2U3p8Gc

This one shows the depth quite well in Lucan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDUArF1GgyE

Posted

I'm no doubt being very thick here cm but it's not obvious to me how you can get freezing rain in these conditions. Don't get me wrong I'm not for one moment questioning your post, just wondering what I'm missing and the precip. didn't fall as snow.

Edit

Thinking about this I am being a bit thick. If that temp structure was just slightly different then the precipitation may originally have been of snow and just turning to rain. This would then hit the very cold layer and become supercooled and then bingo-freezing rain when it hits the surface. Time I stopped digging. :)

lol - I have seen freezing rain at -9oC...no idea how it happens but it did....cant drive in that cos the windscreen just ices instantly. I would like to know the science behind it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Even I saw freezing rain at -8C on Christmas mornin last year!

Just wondering if any of ye guys have ever been to Juneau in Alaska?

It's my ideal place to emigrate to in a few years time when I'm finished with Uni. Looks like a stunning, picturesque little city.

Posted

lol - I have seen freezing rain at -9oC...no idea how it happens but it did....cant drive in that because the windscreen just ices instantly. I would like to know the science behind it

I've been reminding myself of the devastating the 1998 ice storm.http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/events/IceStorm1998/ice98.shtml

A couple of observations. Firstly I don't think the sounding I uploaded in response to cms original post was probably indicative of the atmosphere where the freezing rain was taking place. I suspect there must have been a deeper warmer layer above the very cold layer near the surface.

Having said that the cold layer was fairly deep but the snow having turned to rain in the warm layer would the have supercooled in the cold layer with the effect that soon as it hit a cold surface it would instantly freeze as you observed with your windscreen. As you can see from 1998 ice storms can be devastating.