Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

28oC here today yet big cooldown on the way - snow by the weekend is in the forecast with day time highs of 6oC...gotta love the Rockies

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Did you get your snow Canadiancoops?

Posted

This has been the hottest summer ever or second hottest in a lot of the eastern US, the mean max at places like DC and NYC has been closer to 32 C than the usual 29 C. It's still hot there on Friday with Hurricane Earl rushing past offshore, on its way to a landfall Saturday mid-day (local time) in Nova Scotia. The centre of what will then be either weak cat-1 or strong TS Earl will head across western NS into southeast NB pretty close to where Deb lives (wonder if she will look in on this thread?) ... anyway, centre should cross Fundy National Park and Moncton NB then western PEI late Saturday.

I'm expecting winds of about 50 knots gusting to 70-80 in exposed locations and more generally 40-60 knots for a few hours, from a southerly direction veering to WSW as the hurricane/TS rushes past. Rainfalls will not be excessive, about 50-75 mms (2-3 in) with 100 mm in localized maxes around Saint John NB.

The weather on the west coast here has been dry and warm all summer, until the last day of August, then we got an absolute soaker with 2-3 inches of rain that changed all the monthly and even seasonal anomalies from below to above normal. It shows you that climate records aren't the whole story of what people experience because despite that big additional rain the grass here is still parched, it did turn from straw coloured to a kind of greenish yellow but it's going to take another rain to revive the dormant grass (this is normal around here in summer).

Earl currently on course to hit the island of Nantucket off Cape Cod, will report later on what happens there.

Posted

This has been the hottest summer ever or second hottest in a lot of the eastern US, the mean max at places like DC and NYC has been closer to 32 C than the usual 29 C. It's still hot there on Friday with Hurricane Earl rushing past offshore, on its way to a landfall Saturday mid-day (local time) in Nova Scotia. The centre of what will then be either weak cat-1 or strong TS Earl will head across western NS into southeast NB pretty close to where Deb lives (wonder if she will look in on this thread?) ... anyway, centre should cross Fundy National Park and Moncton NB then western PEI late Saturday.

I'm expecting winds of about 50 knots gusting to 70-80 in exposed locations and more generally 40-60 knots for a few hours, from a southerly direction veering to WSW as the hurricane/TS rushes past. Rainfalls will not be excessive, about 50-75 mms (2-3 in) with 100 mm in localized maxes around Saint John NB.

The weather on the west coast here has been dry and warm all summer, until the last day of August, then we got an absolute soaker with 2-3 inches of rain that changed all the monthly and even seasonal anomalies from below to above normal. It shows you that climate records aren't the whole story of what people experience because despite that big additional rain the grass here is still parched, it did turn from straw coloured to a kind of greenish yellow but it's going to take another rain to revive the dormant grass (this is normal around here in summer).

Earl currently on course to hit the island of Nantucket off Cape Cod, will report later on what happens there.

Hey guys, I'm in the NE of the USA at the moment and it has been boiling here. Got up to 94F supposedly in Boston when we were there on Tuesday, the thermometer in Burlington VT today said 93F (think that was a little unbeliveable), but the weather has been very hot. Ever since the 26th August, when we were in Long Beach NY it hasn't dropped below 90F as a daytime maximum wherever we've been, including Albany NY and here in Plattsburgh NY. So yeah, just adding a little bit from the ground here. Apparently temperature records here have been broken here in the past week, breaking heat records that have stood since the 50s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Well its been a cool wet summer in Alberta and has been very autumn like since mid August..already had first frosts with day time highs in the low teens if that..been some early snowfall in the rockies..where as the east and west of north america have had a hot summer we have been the cool sandwich in between.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

SteveB - Yep I think we have now had 3 days since late August with snow settled on the ground. The last day was this Tuesday - 2 inches but all melted by the afternoon.

Now a warm up is on the way for a while with temps in the 20's by the weekend. It might make up slightly for one of the coolest and wettest summers on record here in southern Alberta

Posted

After a cold week last week where never got into double figures and had some snow..managed to reach 29c yesterday..warmest day since mid may.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

It's lovely and warm here in Winnipeg for the Thanksgiving weekend. Temperatures were hitting 25 C a couple days in a row, and tomorrow they're predicting 23 C. Well above seasonal. I guess this is what they consider to be an Indian summer. :)

Posted

has been very warm here in Edmonton too..hit 26c three days in a row thurs,fri & sat..and reached a muggy 24c today..cooling off for tomorrow be lucky to reach 12c but still nice and sunny :good:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The Pacific Northwest should brace for a colder and wetter than average winter, while most of the South and Southeast will be warmer and drier than average through February 2011, according to the annual Winter Outlook released Oct. 21, 2010 by NOAA's Climate Prediction Center. A moderate to strong La Niña will be the dominant climate factor influencing weather across most of the U.S. this winter.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101022072152.htm

Excuse me fiddling around attempting to get the hang of posting images. Streuth a seven year old could do it in a couple of seconds.

Posted Image

Image courtesy of NOAA)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The Pacific Northwest should brace for a colder and wetter than average winter, while most of the South and Southeast will be warmer and drier than average through February 2011, according to the annual Winter Outlook released Oct. 21, 2010 by NOAA's Climate Prediction Center. A moderate to strong La Niña will be the dominant climate factor influencing weather across most of the U.S. this winter.

http://www.scienceda...01022072152.htm

Excuse me fiddling around attempting to get the hang of posting images. Streuth a seven year old could do it in a couple of seconds.

Posted Image

Big La Nina effect I see, can't wait until I visit Aspen, CO in February!

Image courtesy of NOAA)

Posted

There has been some talk this side of the pond that western canada will be snowier than average this winter but not necessarily colder...some say colder than normal some say milder?..on the whole Canada is expected to be colder and snowier than last winter..which isnt difficult as it was mild and relatively snowless last winter

Posted

Had my first ice day of the season..temp never got above -4c today..looking at -12c overnight :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

hey cheeky_monkey hows -7C looking for you atm haha! I have friends in Red Deer, AB and London, ON in Red Deer at the moment its -4 so quite a difference in temperature from edmonton. Id love to move to canada one day as there weather is much more diverse in parts like saskatchewan and Manitoba then we have here in england. Even Minnesota, USA would be a good one for me! :) Pretty good storm went through the midwest yesterday with striaght line winds at a constant 60mph+ and one guy in Cincinnati Record a Wind Gust of 79mph!

Posted

yes been a dreary -7c sun beginning to break through warming up nicely through to the weekend maybe up to +7c by saturday

Posted

Been a fantastic Sep/Oct the same as last year. Cooling off now with day time highs around 6oC and night time (if clear) getting to about minus 7oC. I have woken up to a slight dusting of snow the last 3 mornings that melts by 10am...just waiting for the cold/snow to arrive....esp as its a La Nina year

Posted

I'm expecting quite a cold winter in most of North America despite or because of the La Nina. Looking at northeast Siberia running 5-10 deg below normal for several weeks now, this often foreshadows a strong arctic high source region for Alaska and Yukon, then that normally means that most of Canada and the north central U.S. will run below normal. As for snowfall, probably a bit above normal for most parts of Canada and the northeast U.S., and across the northern half of the Rockies in the U.S. -- the southeast U.S. would likely run mild and dry with the storm track setting up from Colorado to southern Ontario.

Posted

Wow, from 26c on the 11th October to a high of -4c in just 16 days! Never get that here although it was 17c here today from a daytime high of just 7c a week ago.

where is here please

Posted

Wow, from 26c on the 11th October to a high of -4c in just 16 days! Never get that here although it was 17c here today from a daytime high of just 7c a week ago.

Thats nothing back in May i went from a hot and sunny 31c to a cold and snowy 0c just 2 days later!

Posted

I assume this was noted somewhere but I haven't come across it.

The October26th 2010 North American storm complex is a record non-tropical cyclone event occurring across North America. The massive storm complex has caused a wide range of weather events including a major serial derecho stretching from the Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes, a widespread tornado outbreak across the Southeast United States and Midwest and a blizzard across portions of the Canadian Prairies and the Dakotas. The cyclone's lowest minimum pressure of 953 mb (28.11") makes it the most intense extratropical cyclone ever recorded in the continental United States (excluding tropical and post-tropical cyclones), surpassing the lowest US pressure of 958 mbar from the Great Ohio Blizzard of 1978.

(Wiki)

Charts from NOAA Central Library

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

This was a big story here and they called it a weather bomb however for me it was nothing to different to the Autumn storms we endure back home so didnt really take much notice of it.

Posted

Record high temperatures right across much of western canada today..some place were 23c above the daytime normal..that would be like the UK experiencing 32c 90f at the beginning of Nov

Posted

Its crazy warm here. 19oC yesterday...same today and its 15oC at 7pm even with a light drizzle....big change on the way. Looks like 5-10cm of snow possible sunday into Monday with temps around zero......been a great Fall though

Posted

talk about wild swings in temperature..i went to a meeting in Jasper for 10 am today when i arrived it was very mild and rainy and the temp was +16c when i left at 2pm it was snowing and the temp had fallen to -1c