Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

CM, are you in London ON now? You're going to see some heavy snow squalls there tomorrow.

Whether you're going to Edmonton from London ON or from England, I just wanted to comment that Edmonton is further north than the chinook zone (normally) and even if Calgary is getting mild chinook weather you should go prepared for any sort of cold in Edmonton and especially if you're heading for Fort Macmurray which is the working hot spot but the climate cold spot, it often drops to -30 or -40 up that way even in a relatively mild pattern.

This change from bitter cold in Dec to mild in Jan is quite speculative, the El Nino is west-based and the pattern is on a knife edge so to speak, so I wouldn't want to mislead you on this, the chinook set-up may be only for part of the time and confined to southern Alberta.

State of emergency today in Madison, WI where they had almost two feet of snow, now it's starting to blow around. Many highways blocked by the heavy snow. Similar problems in many parts of Iowa.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

no i was in London ON last year..right now im in London England i just never got around to changing my location....im not too familiar with Edmonton weather but im guessing its often very cold and dry during the majority of winter??

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

Well in January, a "mild spell" in Edmonton might mean -10 to -5 C with the Pacific air held back to the south, although it can get up as high as 4-5 C there (rarely). An average day would be about -15 C daytime, -28 C overnight, and a cold day something like -30 C day and -42 C night. Sometimes this very cold weather is almost calm which makes it tolerable, but with any kind of wind chill, -30 can feel like -50.

It snows a bit in January but the winter snowfall pattern is more to the shoulder months if you catch my drift, and right now there is a lot of snow by Edmonton standards, about a foot or more, and it has frozen solid into a non-drifting sort of cement covering from what I'm hearing. That is unusual. Probably some time between now and January this snow will at least soften up in a mild spell.

Further south around Calgary and Lethbridge, the ground often gets bare in winter due to the chinook, it looks brown or yellow rather than green. The chinook is much stronger in southern Alberta, it has been known to reach 23 C in January, probably 8 C would be the absolute max for Edmonton. Now further north still, the chinook as such never arrives but you can get a brief mild spell near 2 C from Pacific air that gets thrown over the Yukon and comes down from the NW. Places like Fort Mac and Yellowknife NWT never get a real thaw in the winter months, but there isn't much new snow either, that picks up again in March and April.

Anyway, you've been in London ON so you know what to expect, only worse.

Posted

can we have some of this here in UK please :cold::)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8407256.stm

I can beat that ...how about 3 feet of snow in just over 24 hours...with another 2-3 feet forecast in the next 24 hours?

Gravehurst Ontario...you can see a pic here http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/620/1681286/1/caon0280?ref=ugc_city_thumbs

Posted

My link

CTV Edmonton reported that the city was the second coldest place on earth Sunday. It was beaten only by a town in Siberia, where the temperature dropped to -48 C.

The mercury hit -46 C in Edmonton on Sunday night. With the wind chill it felt like -59 C.

Makes our cold seem like nothing

Posted

I must be mad but just been to the shops....its minus 12oC and feels so warm. After weeks of minus 20oC/30oC It's a pleasure out there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Any news on the current system just off the Delaware/New Jersey state coast that dumped heavy amounts in Virginia/N Carolina?

1-2" per hour currently falling in Maryland & Philadelphia area as the Low tracks north intensifying,

What I`d give to be in the NY/LI area during one of these "noreasters" :doh:

Interesting in that a bigger Winter Storm is gonna begin in NW Washington area early nex week???

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Blizzard conditions about to develop in parts of Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as a rapidly deepening low starts to loop through the Gulf of Maine on Sunday. Debs, you may have some periods of sleet mixing in at your location, further inland in NB I expect 30-50 cms of snow, same across most of Maine, 20-40 cms in NH and parts of VT into northeast MA. Very strong winds with this, gusting to 60 mph at times. High water issues likely around eastern MA as the circulation and lunar perigee high tides pile up water in Cape Cod Bay.

New England Patriots (football team) playing away this weekend fortunately. NY Jets have an important home game to determine playoff contention (they play near NYC). NYC likely to be on the windy side but snowfalls lighter, 1-3 inches possibly. Boston could see 10 or even 15 inches. But parts of Maine could see 30 inches.

Weather about to turn much colder in eastern N America this week, it has been near normal most of December (a little up and down) but anomalies of -5 to -10 are predicted for the first half of the month. Out west here, we have had it mild and rather bland on the coast, cold and dry in the prairies, I guess Rich has been seeing some snow in the frontal zone in between.

Posted

Blizzard conditions about to develop in parts of Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as a rapidly deepening low starts to loop through the Gulf of Maine on Sunday. Debs, you may have some periods of sleet mixing in at your location, further inland in NB I expect 30-50 cms of snow, same across most of Maine, 20-40 cms in NH and parts of VT into northeast MA.

Blizzard conditions about to develop in parts of Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as a rapidly deepening low starts to loop through the Gulf of Maine on Sunday. Debs, you may have some periods of sleet mixing in at your location, further inland in NB I expect 30-50 cms of snow, same across most of Maine, 20-40 cms in NH and parts of VT into northeast MA.

Hi there,

Well yes we got alot of snow that day, we had drifts over 4ft with the strong winds and then snow depth was 37cms on our deck. All in all it was quite thrilling.

Today the roads were clear so we went out sledging and at -5 and the sun shining we didn;t need coats......no windchill to content with I guess.

Its great to see the UK get a good dumping of snow too....especially the North East, where I grew up and remember the winters fondly.

Hope it stays around for you snow lovers over there.

Anyway, we made use of the sbow as you can see from the attached photo......LOL We call it a Canadian Cooler

TTFN

Debs

post-47-12626512676525_thumb.jpg

post-47-12626514725825_thumb.jpg

Edited by debs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Hi there,

Well yes we got alot of snow that day, we had drifts over 4ft with the strong winds and then snow depth was 37cms on our deck. All in all it was quite thrilling.

Today the roads were clear so we went out sledging and at -5 and the sun shining we didn;t need coats......no windchill to content with I guess.

Its great to see the UK get a good dumping of snow too....especially the North East, where I grew up and remember the winters fondly.

Hope it stays around for you snow lovers over there.

Anyway, we made use of the sbow as you can see from the attached photo......LOL We call it a Canadian Cooler

TTFN

Debs

What does 'today the roads were clear' mean in connection with having snow ?.

If we get 5cm maybe by June we might see a snow plough? Posted Image

Isn't it forecast that the cold will run down to at least North Florida this time ?

Edited by stewfox

Posted

What does 'today the roads were clear' mean in connection with having snow ?.

LOL

Sorry was not being too cheeky to the British roads when I wrote this....its just that the snow ploughs do a good job here as there is more of them, so we were able to go out onto a clear road and you would never have thought that there had been 40cms of snow at all. Mind you we had to dig our way our of our drive first......bloody snow ploughs don`t lift when the go past your drive...LOL

TTFN

debs

Posted

It has turned bizarrely cold in Florida ... as far south as Miami, it is raining and 7 C in a northerly wind, but in central Florida they reported sleet and even a few melting snowflakes near Orlando and the Kennedy Space Center.

The cold air has moved way south and covers most of Cuba as well (albeit cold there being about 15-18 C).

Hard freeze likely in citrus and winter vegetable growing areas and prices on the way up (even if yours come from somewhere else, global prices will respond).

Quite mild and raining where I live, actually it is warmer here than anywhere in Florida except Key West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

It has turned bizarrely cold in Florida ... as far south as Miami, it is raining and 7 C in a northerly wind, but in central Florida they reported sleet and even a few melting snowflakes near Orlando and the Kennedy Space Center.

The cold air has moved way south and covers most of Cuba as well (albeit cold there being about 15-18 C).

Hard freeze likely in citrus and winter vegetable growing areas and prices on the way up (even if yours come from somewhere else, global prices will respond).

Quite mild and raining where I live, actually it is warmer here than anywhere in Florida except Key West.

36f at Miami Airport

15f to 19f in Alamaba etc amazing stuff

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/its-duration-not-magnitude-of-the-cold_2010-01-08?from=hp_news&anchor=

Edited by stewfox

Posted

hi i touched down in Edmonton Alberta on friday 15th Jan....bizarely i flew out of heathrow where the temp was +1c and landed in Edmonton to find it at +6c...slowly cooled off..today went for a long walk in a very still -10c...didnt feel any colder than walking around in the UK on a cold day...seems it is above average over pretty much all of canada right now..sum areas +10c-+15c above normal..that dosnt look like changing much in the next 7 days.

Posted

Well, CM if you're still here in Edmonton, it's about to turn a bit colder. However, the El Nino pattern has locked into the western US and British Columbia. We have it quite mild here, not much rain. Down in California they have seen a lot of rain and heavy mountain snowfalls, and on Thursday there were record low pressures for many stations including some going back 130 years or so. These were generally not too impressive by northern standards, 978 mbs was a fairly typical "new record low" but apparently it has never been lower in that period. Severe winds and a few minor tornadoes moved across southern California into western Arizona, and there are currently some gusts in Arizona to 70 mph (from the south).

This storm will redevelop east of the Rockies over the weekend and move slowly east across the rest of the USA, bringing a surge of warmer air north with rain expected into the Great Lakes region by Monday and Tuesday.

After that, a more volatile pattern seems to be developing, stay tuned for details.

Posted

i am here in Edmonton for the duration..its snowing today with temps around -7c..and as you say set to turn colder for the rest of the week...then looking like it will warm up again as we move into February in my neck of the woods...looks like alot of rain across ontario and quebec through sunday and monday.

Posted

I am off to New York Friday...looks like a storm could be ahead of me. Weather advisory on the US website for signifcant snowfall Friday into Saturday for Manhattan...fingers crossed my flight from Dallas is not delayed/cancelled

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Landed in Dallas Friday night and it was 2oC and snowing, not settling though. Landed in New York Saturday and it was cold 16oF , about minus 8oC, but windchill made itaround zero oF...about minus 16oC. The cold wind lasted right through to last night when I left. It gradually got warmer, just above freezing by Tuesday but still windchill values.

On a positive I walked past Demi Moore, saw Jimmy Fallon live and was sitting next to New Kids on the Block after they performed on the show...quite a cool weekend in all...in more ways than one lol

Posted

was reading that it was the warmest January on record in Vancouver...anybody confirm this?

Posted
forecasts of up to 30 inches of snow Posted Image . i am sure even the hardened snow lovers would struggle with those depths of snow. more importantly, does the East coast USA weather have any bearing on UK weather? :cold:

The storm - dubbed "snowpocalypse" and "snowmageddon" by the local media - is expected to stretch from Indiana to Pennsylvania and into parts of New York and North Carolina.

only the americans could have such silly names :yahoo: