Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Hello again,

Seems like I only come on here in the winter...not too sure why, but its nice to see all the old familiar names around.

Well here in NB we have had a slight sprinkling of snow which didnt last long but it was bloody freezing this morning......temps seem to be up then down of late, all I ask is that we get some white stuff by Christmas....

Hope everyone is well.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

BIG cooldown in progress here in the west. Currently minus 20oC at 8:20am....this weekend set to get even colder under the arctic influence. Daytime highs of minus 20oC forecast for Monday here in the Rockies and out to Calgary. Probably mean night time lows of minus 30-35oC....brrrr. Whats the bet its a brown Christmas lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi CC...I think it was 2000-2001 when I last saw temps that low in Calgary, on a regular basis... :pardon:

Posted

Hi CC...I think it was 2000-2001 when I last saw temps that low in Calgary, on a regular basis... :whistling:

You hit the nail on the head with the word regular. Its not too bad if it comes and goes in a few days but when its regular its brutal. The worst I have known was last year, as the figures show in my signature....it was tough going as it started about 6 weeks before and every day got progrssively colder until mid December when it 'peaked' at its lowest .....

Posted

Its not often I see a blizzard warning for these parts, put definately the potential for one and Enivronment Canada are issuing one

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=TextOnly_03_12_2009&warningtype=sw?ref=stormwatch_home

Posted

Wish I could see a forecast like that (barring the wind chill :clap: ) for around here!

Posted

We are about 2 hours into it now, moderate snow and wind fairly light but picking up, temp not too bad, actually warmer than the last few days but that should change as the day progresses....you can follow on the webcam in my signature...I'll keep you all posted

Posted

Thanks for that, CC...I'm as 'green' as the background!!! :whistling::nonono::nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Wish I could see a forecast like that (barring the wind chill :D ) for around here!

oh please pete just been in the models thread i cant take much more,

im going to need a heart transplant at this rate one minute excitement next complete downer cant be good for the ticker.

just wish el nino would bugger off lol.

if i stay dissapointed until it happens then it will be special,

only problem is i have to be negitive which is not good either.

but still i reckon our climate is changing a little now and from the few years it seems to be cooling or leveling off solar min is still ongoing so its not all bad news.

but desperately waiting for a cold spell even something like lastyear and id be delighted even if its not a 80s style winter better than boring blowtourch stuff.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

We are about 2 hours into it now, moderate snow and wind fairly light but picking up, temp not too bad, actually warmer than the last few days but that should change as the day progresses....you can follow on the webcam in my signature...I'll keep you all posted

Great to see your webcam pictures cc. I have been watching the cold plunge forecasts for a little while and I guess this cold spell is nothing compared to what is going to hit you next week!

post-4523-12599482777913_thumb.png

c

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Great to see your webcam pictures cc. I have been watching the cold plunge forecasts for a little while and I guess this cold spell is nothing compared to what is going to hit you next week!

post-4523-12599482777913_thumb.png

c

Surprisingly calm here. It's been snowing for the last 12 hours but only about 10cm's accumulation, wind fairly calm, not that cold, about minus 11oC. I am waiting for the front to come through and plunge the temps.

A VERY different story just 60 miles east. heavy snow all day, 60 flights cancelled at Calgary airport and almost 300 accidents in the city alone. We have been lucky with this one so far where I live

Posted

Morning all.

Well looks like we have some white stuff on the horizon here. 10 cms expected to fall in next 24 hours then more on Tuesday, so perhaps I will get another white christmas afterall.

It'll be nice to see what my new puppy thinks of the snow too.....

TTFN

debs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Tom, the trend of forecasts for late December and January is for below normal temps in the northeast US. If that verifies, you could expect to see snow on the ground in southern VT almost for sure and possibly in NYC. Normals in early January would range from about 4 C in NYC (daytime) to 0 C in southern VT, to -3 C on higher slopes there.

I would say expect it to be colder than this and possibly very cold, like -8 C to -15 C at times during your visit. However, keep in the back of your mind that if it turns out milder than average, it can be as mild as 10-15 C in these regions.

I go to these parts every year, Im off to NY 10 weeks today, NYC is cold but when you go to Vermont be preperd to be shocked, the coldest its been there when I been there is -31c and the windchills you dont want to know! Theres always around 1-2ft of snow on the ground most places in Vermont during Jan and Feb. Your not guaranteed snow in NYC though.

At the moment, the snow is not very good and all the ski resorts are opening tommorow in the NE, so as you can see by this cam they are making snow. However Wunderground got 100% chance of snow today and tonight for Killington. http://www.killington.com/winter/multimedia/webcam/index.html

My friends I met in Stowe, VT last year from Texas have snow in southern Texas yesterday and they very rarely have snow.

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

next week could be pretty extreme for alot of america and canada incredible cold on it way.

Yep, making the most of the relatively warm minus 10oC we have at the moment

Posted

Rich, I don't think the cold will lock in for as long as it did last winter, maybe 2-3 weeks, then we should get a ridge building over the Rockies, and frequent chinook warming, as the cold anomalies move further east towards Ontario.

But for the shorter term, yes, very cold air coming from the high polar latitudes into Alberta, the current 144h prog has the 466 dm thickness showing up in northern Alberta.

Yikes, just think, 510 dm is considered quite extreme in the UK.

Right now we have the arctic air flowing out here at about 30-40 mph from the east, and it's close to zero C which is cold for this part of the country. No snow seen around here yet but it's nice and white up on the hills. Actually, I much prefer this weather to the mild rainy muck we often get day after day, too depressing not to see the sun. Being an Ontario boy, I can take this zero C no problema.

Just adding for general interest, predicting a major lake-effect snowfall event to follow the deep low expected to cross Lake Huron and southern Ontario on Wednesday night, so Thursday-Friday could see some big lake effect snowfalls.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

How you all doing in the States, it's cold & snowy over there, right???

Posted

Minus 31oC on my way to work today....now its winter, but not too bad as no wind, if there had been wind I may well have been crying lol

Posted

Hi All.

Well our first snow storm of the season produced about 10cms, bot as bad as Alberta, thankfully, but it looks pretty outside.

Heres some shots for you all.

Debs

post-47-12602237618021_thumb.jpg

post-47-1260223840212_thumb.jpg

post-47-12602239049665_thumb.jpg

post-47-1260223955246_thumb.jpg

post-47-12602240052249_thumb.jpg

post-47-12602240650361_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Very nice, looks as though winter has finally arrived for you.

Our as ever is teetering on a knife edge. Will we won't we get the Easterly next week, as ever the odds are stacked heavily against us.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Hi folks,

Snow in mass. as early as October 16th, Earliest snowfall ever recorded in Houston recently & "lake effect" snow on the cards big time this Thursday 10th

How I`d love to be back at Meadowlands for a NYJ game during snow :D (not that "dirty sanchez" would?)

Edited by mezzacyclone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

any ideas on the winter forecast for western half of canada?..i will be landing in Edmonton on the 10th January for the duration.

Posted

any ideas on the winter forecast for western half of canada?..i will be landing in Edmonton on the 10th January for the duration.

Looks like u could miss the worst of it, currently happening right now. Appears we might be influenced by Chinooks in the new year...could be warmer than usual, however maybe more snow, we will see. Welcome back :-)

PS - HUGE snow event for the great lakes later this week - already warnings of 100cm's plus!!! That's over 3 feet. I will keep you posted

Posted

Strong low pressure over Lake Michigan currently, moving to north of Lake Huron later today, snow with this (pre-lake effect) has amounted to 2 feet in parts of Wisconsin where people are stranded on highways (it is just getting light in that part of the world in an hour or two) ... winds recently gusting to 80 mph over northern Lake Michigan from an easterly direction, and from the north at 55 mph in Iowa where they have between ten and fifteen inches of fresh snow. The lake effect part of this storm will soon follow once winds come around to a westerly direction, and the usual snow belt areas could see 2-3 feet as Rich was saying.

Temps with the heavy snow are near -2 C falling off rapidly now towards -10 C or lower.

Places like Toronto and Buffalo are seeing snow changing to rain for a few hours before the strong winds and colder air hit. NYC and BOS are mainly rain but there has been heavy snow all night inland across PA, NY and New England. The storm is the one you see on the models coming out into the Atlantic in a couple of days time, it is already beginning to pressure jump to a coastal secondary. This primary low is setting new all time low station pressure records or at least second or third in a hundred years sort of a thing, like 972 mbs later today expected at Traverse City MI.

Colder than a bureaucrat's heart here on the west coast, but we are soft, coastal people who would die within seconds if exposed to that Alberta stuff (except on holiday, of course, then the realization that we could return home would set in). It is currently -6 C here in Vancouver (cold for here, mild for Alberta).

Yep, I think it will be warmer in January when this arctic conveyor belt moves further east, right now it is coming straight out of the high arctic towards Oregon and California, then turning sharp left and heading for the Great Lakes. In January, I think it will be a nice mild ridge over the Rockies and the cold air will be further east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looks like u could miss the worst of it, currently happening right now. Appears we might be influenced by Chinooks in the new year...could be warmer than usual, however maybe more snow, we will see. Welcome back :-)

Good..i was hoping it wouldnt be too cold..think it would too much of a shock to the system,,as long as it is not windy ill think it will be ok?