Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Wow!....talk about a winter storm, really windy, heavy snow, its crazy outside...only sticking to grass and roofs at the mo though

Any update CC?

On Accuweather they talk of this cold plunge being about 30 days ahead of schedule and being a 'true' arctic airmass. Impressive, the jet hasn't moved north over there then.

BFTP

Posted

The storm lasted about 4 hours, we got about 10cm's from it, but the main thing is the cold. I went out this morning and the temp was minus 17oC...it's a true artic blast and it looks like the high pressure dragging the cold air down is going to be in place until early next week...def about 1 month ahead of schedule as we usually get this for a week in November

Day time highs today prob minus 6oC, maybe a bit colder....everything is extremely icy as it was wet at first then rapidly froze as the cold front came through, with very high winds and blowing snow. Now snow sticking to all surfaces, including the road, a true winter's feel today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Brrrrrrrrr :rolleyes: Much as I love snow and really cold weather, I don't think I could cope with it from now until spring.

Posted

I looked at your webcams, (all three of them!) probably around this time last night, CanadianCoops and blimey! If that is a month ahead in Canadian terms then maybe a repeat of late October 2008 (28th) for the UK?

Could be an interesting Winter ahead. :)

Phil. (Global warming? Paah!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The storm lasted about 4 hours, we got about 10cm's from it, but the main thing is the cold. I went out this morning and the temp was minus 17oC...it's a true artic blast and it looks like the high pressure dragging the cold air down is going to be in place until early next week...def about 1 month ahead of schedule as we usually get this for a week in November

Day time highs today prob minus 6oC, maybe a bit colder....everything is extremely icy as it was wet at first then rapidly froze as the cold front came through, with very high winds and blowing snow. Now snow sticking to all surfaces, including the road, a true winter's feel today

Bril, accuweather are calling it the 'arctic express'. And there was an emmigrate to Alberta roadshow earlier this year....my missus wouldn't have it!!!!!!

BFTP

Posted

The arctic blast continues here. Its been 5 days since the temp got above freezing and an old record was shattered oct 12th. The previous low for that day was minus 14oC back in '02, we got down to minus 22oC....brrr. Looks like warming up for end of week though

Posted

bit wild over their at the moment

Weather Bomb Hitting Newfoundland

With sustained winds of 80 km/h and gusts up to 140 km/h Newfoundland is in for a windy, wet day. Watch Today's Weather News

Warnings

Terra Nova

8:30 PM NDT Wednesday 14 October 2009

Wind warning for Terra Nova

continued

Strong northwesterly winds gusting to 110 km/h with coastal gusts to 140 km/h will diminish overnight.

This is a warning that potentially damaging winds are occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

An intensifying low pressure system northeast of the Avalon Peninsula will continue to rapidly deepen as it moves out over the Atlantic overnight. Strong northwesterly winds will gust upwards of 110 km/h with coastal gusts reaching 140 km/h this evening. Winds are expected to ease overnight as the storm moves out to sea.

Heavy snow is currently falling over higher terrain on the Bonavista Peninsula and will continue until about midnight before tapering off. Snowfall accumulations are forecast to reach near 15 centimetres with locally higher amounts possible. Coastal areas of the peninsula will see mainly rain, mixed at times with snow, but little accumulation.

Along the east and northeast coasts high seas and rough surf are expected to persist tonight before easing Thursday morning. There have been reports of waves crashing or running across roads close to the shoreline and motorists are advised to use caution.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?nl16

Posted

Your snow must be deep by now, CC? :wallbash:

I wish, we only had the original snow on Thursday and a few flurries, other than that there's been no snow, just cold. Getting wamrer now though, high's upto plus 8oC and snow virtually all melted in the town, possibly 15oC by end of week....crazy weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I wish, we only had the original snow on Thursday and a few flurries, other than that there's been no snow, just cold. Getting wamrer now though, high's upto plus 8oC and snow virtually all melted in the town, possibly 15oC by end of week....crazy weather

That's Canada in October, CC? Come January, it'll be knee-deep???

Here, there'll be sod all!! :wallbash:

Posted

That's Canada in October, CC? Come January, it'll be knee-deep???

Here, there'll be sod all!! :rofl:

Its very true, October anything can happen weather wise, come January I'll be wanting to head south for some heat lol...I have a funny feeling this year there will be some snow all around in the UK...especially in your neck of the woods

Posted

Its very true, October anything can happen weather wise, come January I'll be wanting to head south for some heat lol...I have a funny feeling this year there will be some snow all around in the UK...especially in your neck of the woods

I do hope so, CC! After last winter, 2" will be good... :rofl:

Posted

I do hope so, CC! After last winter, 2" will be good... :rofl:

Thats crazy, Inverness always used to do so well, especially on a northerly. I guess its bordeline now at sea level where as years ago it used to be colder

Posted

that was a big ass storm

Storm rips through eastern Newfoundland

Last Updated: Thursday, October 15, 2009 | 9:11 AM NT

CBC News

The east coast of Newfoundland was recovering Thursday after high winds, rain and snow slammed the entire region.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary says the weather conditions all day Wednesday and overnight caused "a large number of collisions," while utility crews spent a long night responding to power failures throughout the Avalon and Bonavista peninsulas, and Trinity Bay.

Police in St. John's were kept busy Wednesday responding to weather-related accidents.

Craig Vey, an outside worker at Newfoundland Power, said he and other crewmembers were kept busy throughout the night.

"Non-stop, non-stop," he said of the calls to respond to power failures. "Trees down, services tore off houses, wires down from insulators and shorting out. Yeah, we're up to our neck here."

Several roads in St. John's had to be blocked off because of electrical wires ripped down by the high winds.

Newfoundland Power manager Bob Pike said there were still some places without power on Thursday morning.

"I have about 76 calls showing up as of right now," he said. "There are 59 of those that have been dispatched — in other words, crews are either on site or en route, and there are 17 others that need to be dispatched, and of course we have more crews coming in."

Snowfall, mixed with rain, made for some nasty driving conditions Wednesday on the east coast of Newfoundland.

Meteorologist Rodney Barney from the Environment Canada office in Gander said there weren't any records set, but the wind was gusting at 133 km/h in the Bonavista area.

The strongest wind gusts were recorded offshore, more than 300 kilometres from St. John's, at the site of the Sea Rose oil platform, where the wind was blowing at 157 km/h. :eek: :double: :eek:

"It was a very intense storm for this time of year," Barney told CBC News. "Normally, we don't see systems intensify until the latter part of November, into December, But for this to happen in October, it's kind of rare."

Barney said 67 millimetres of rain fell over Bonavista, while the St. John's area received 45 to 50 millimetres.

He said the rain was mixed with snow, about five centimetres at the St. John's airport. Over 15 centimetres of snow fell around the Bonavista Peninsula.

The St. John's coastline experienced storm surges in the 70-centimetre range.

"That's fairly high water levels for sure," Barney said.

Posted

Thats crazy, Inverness always used to do so well, especially on a northerly. I guess its bordeline now at sea level where as years ago it used to be colder

Aye, twas an odd one, CC. After lightish falls in late October and early December, both from quite potent (though very shortlived) northerlies, the rest of the season was pretty uneventful...Probably the most snowless winter I've seen. :(

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Hows the Weather for you guys.

Is Winter starting later than normal this year?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Thought as much. Snow line is still well into Canada.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

looks to be remaining mild if not exceptionally mild over much of northern USA and southern Canada over the next week to 10 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

see there were record breaking temperatures in southern alberta up to 20c in places thats 18c above normal!!

Posted

I'm going to be in NYC for New Year's this year and then spending the first week of January in southern Vermont - looking at average statistics for that area it looks like I'm pretty much guaranteed snow and sub-zero temperatures but does anyone know that area well enough to give me any more details of what I can expect?

Posted

Tom, the trend of forecasts for late December and January is for below normal temps in the northeast US. If that verifies, you could expect to see snow on the ground in southern VT almost for sure and possibly in NYC. Normals in early January would range from about 4 C in NYC (daytime) to 0 C in southern VT, to -3 C on higher slopes there.

I would say expect it to be colder than this and possibly very cold, like -8 C to -15 C at times during your visit. However, keep in the back of your mind that if it turns out milder than average, it can be as mild as 10-15 C in these regions.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

Thanks Roger, that's very helpful! Looks like it's pretty mild for the time of year in the North East at the moment though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Snowflakes in Whistler. My son who lives in Vancouver sent me this shot from last week during a visit to the resort. He reports ski-ing season well and truly underway. All getting excited about the games.

C

post-3489-12590639957313_thumb.jpg

Posted

Amazing start to the ski season across most of western canada. A typical El Nino year, much warmer than normal. Here in town no snow since early October. Its been lovely and mild and the grass is even green in places. Not seen that in 6 seasons. However, due to the warmth, the snow on the slopes at higher levels here in the eastern rockies, ie Banff/Lake Louise is the best in years already.