Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Hi All,

Well weather has been lovely for a few days but tomorrow is set to bring a little snow. Not that it will last as its quite warm here at present with temps at 5 degrees during the day.

Its nice to not have to wear a big heavy winter coats for a while.

TTFB

Debs

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Nice spring storm affecting the prairies right now. We have had about 6-7 inches of snow today and the storm has moved on NE. Could be heavy totals in northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba. And then it looks like Manitoba could get by another storm coming up from the States, gonna be a messy week

Posted

Some parts of western South Dakota have had 15-25 inches of snow and northerly winds of 50 mph gusting to 80 mph.

I know, you want to be there, but you can't get there. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif

Meanwhile at the same time it was near 80 F today in central Kansas and there were a few tornadoes in eastern Nebraska and Kansas. The Red River of the North (not the one near Dallas) is flooding big-time from snowmelt and rain, around Fargo and Grand Forks North Dakota, and this is moving downstream towards Winnipeg, Canada, which at least has a fairly extensive flood protection system, but not so much in rural areas closer to the U.S. border.

Cold arctic high covers New England and some light to moderate snow in Atlantic Canada.

We just have the usual cloud and rain, nothing too unusual there.

The most surprising news were the pictures of snow in Las Vegas couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

The most surprising news were the pictures of snow in Las Vegas couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Posted

Big Spring storm due to affect us here in southern Alberta. Possibly as much as 30cm's of snow by tomorrow afternoon. My prediction will be 7-8 inches for my town. Pics to follow if it hits hard

Posted

So much for the snowstorm, no snow here, lots of stars. snow was forecast to start this afternoon. Its now 10pm and nothing. on the radar its all to the east - about 100km away. Close but no cigar

Posted

Ok, just checked radar and the snow is about 20km east, looks to be fairly heavy (approx 1-2 inch per hour) will be interesting to see if it makes it here, however the wind is picking up..updates to follow

Posted

So it did hit around 3am, its still going now (1:50pm) - we have had about 16cm's (6-7 inches) so far. not the classic springstorm with huge flakes and no wind as we have small flakes and blowing wind. Definately upsloping winds have helped. Some areas have had 40cm's (16 inches) from the low pressure

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Long time no speak ...

Weather has been rather bland for several weeks, but an interesting situation is developing now as very warm air moves towards the big cities of the northeast US ... predicting highs near or even above 90 F on the weekend and early next week for NYC, PHL and DCA. Boston may have sea-breeze issues but some nearby locations could be into the mid to high 80s.

Since the storm chase is about to begin, I imagine people will get lots of info on that part of the country from those reports. A strong frontal system is slowly developing across the Rockies and should fire up some severe storms in the central plains states late this weekend into Monday and Tuesday.

The weather here has been pleasant for several weeks now, rather dry for April, and generally a bit on the cool side. Still a lot of snow on the local peaks above 800 metres.

The Red River (of the North) has been flooding in the past three weeks, and the flood crest has moved into southern Manitoba from North Dakota. The city of Winnipeg is protected by a floodway around the city, but the river through the city was blocked in places by ice-jams so some flooding took place even behind the defensive walls. The main problem has been widespread inundations of farming districts to the south of the city, and now the problems are moving north where the Red River is still choked in heavy ice from Winnipeg north to Lake Winnipeg after one of the coldest winters in recent decades. Although Winnipeg is at the same latitude as Cornwall, the mean January temperature this year was about -25 C.

• 2 months later...
Posted

Amazing weather here finally, temps into the 30's. Unfortunately triggering some big fires in BC around the Kelowna area

Great link if you want to follow canadian weather here in the Rockies this summer/fall/winter...3 live webcams from my town, Canmore,Alberta

http://www.canmorealberta.com/news/webcam/

Posted

some good webcams thanks for shareing http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

on another note.

its looking like second coolest july on record for NYC

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

444 AM EDT FRI JUL 24 2009

...UNUSUALLY COOL JULY FOR CENTRAL PARK...

FOR SOME PERSPECTIVE...HERE ARE THE TOP TEN COOLEST JULYS ON RECORD

SINCE 1869 FOR CENTRAL PARK IN NEW YORK CITY:

COOLEST

AVG. TEMP. YEAR

70.7 1888

71.9 1884

72.1 1914

72.3 2000/1871

72.4 1891

72.6 1895

72.8 1902/1869

72.9 1956

73.1 1890

73.2 2001

DUE TO THE UNUSUALLY COOL CONDITIONS THUS FAR IN JULY...HERE ARE

SOME INTERESTING FACTS TO NOTE...

WITH AN AVERAGE DAILY TEMPERATURE OF 71.6...CURRENTLY RUNNING 4.7

DEGREES BELOW NORMAL...THIS JULY IS ON TRACK FOR THE 2ND COOLEST

ON RECORD. BELOW AVERAGE TEMPERATURES HAVE OCCURRED ON 21 OUT OF

23 DAYS...WITH THE OTHER TWO DAYS BEING NORMAL. THERE HAVE BEEN

ZERO ABOVE NORMAL DAYS.

CENTRAL PARK HAS ONLY REACHED 85 DEGREES ONCE THIS MONTH...ON THE

17TH...AND HAS NOT YET REACHED 90 DEGREES THIS SUMMER. IF THIS

CONTINUES THROUGH THE END OF THE MONTH...IT WILL ONLY BE THE

SECOND TIME SINCE 1869 THAT 90 DEGREES WAS NOT REACHED IN JUNE OR

JULY. THE ONLY OTHER TIME THIS OCCURRED WAS 1996.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

And yet a massive heatwave has hit the Pacific North West- Seattle at 104f yesterday afternoon (according to my old school friend!)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Snow has returned here after a pretty disappointing summer so far....down to about 7000ft...check out the webcams in my signature to see the remaining snow on the 3 sisters. Will prob be gone in a few days once the warmer comes back

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Snow has returned here after a pretty disappointing summer so far....down to about 7000ft...check out the webcams in my signature to see the remaining snow on the 3 sisters. Will prob be gone in a few days once the warmer comes back

Gosh, Im really envious of you .one of the worlds most beautiful places and some incredible weather stats.....keep posting I need some interesting weather to talk about, oh yeah, ive been to Canmore more than once but only in the Summer! :whistling:

Posted

I haven't posted in ages here ... just a few summer notes in general ...

A hot, dry summer in BC and the Pacific northwest in which we saw our two hottest days ever (July 29,30) at Vancouver, 34 C at YVR and 38 C in the suburban inland areas where I live. Many severe forest fires have been burning in southern BC although currently they are under control in most cases.

As Rich mentioned, east of the Rockies, not such a warm summer, Alberta not so bad compared to SK and Manitoba which have had one of their coolest summers ever. This extends into northern ON and parts of the upper Midwest. It was also the case through July in the northeast US but August has turned much warmer.

It has been a very wet summer in many parts of the eastern US and southern Ontario. On Thursday (20 Aug) southern Ontario had a rash of tornadic storms that did a lot of damage in the Toronto suburbs and other places, including one fatality.

Hurricane Bill is now heading towards Nova Scotia and Newfoundland on its way to visit the British Isles, I gather, so we're watching that closely. When Bill reaches a position between NYC and Bermuda on Saturday, the front in eastern Canada and the northeast US will stall and unleash heavy rains on New England, not directly from the hurricane, but its rains will then merge with the front over Nova Scotia, which could get as much as 7 inches of rain from the combined storm over the weekend.

This has been an unusually active August for severe storms across the central US and Great Lakes region, meanwhile, the drought in Texas has continued in many places although the severe heat has eased off.

That's about all I have for now. Currently here, it is mercifully cooling down after a week of hot, dry weather, as a weak marine cold front moves in with lower cloud and drizzle.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

In Oregon today its 5 pm and the heat is still at its peak at 95... so they claim it's really 100 on our back porch! hazy and breezy... when will our winter come back?!

I've just got back from a trip to Oregon....lovely place. Makes me want to uproot and move out there. What I want to know id, when does your winters start and finish, because like you said its still in 100 degrees out there and looks like its not cooling down to quickly, so when will that start to chill and is it a rapid drop in temperatures over a short period of time. Do you have 4 seasons or just summer and winter. I loved it out there.......so picturesque.

Debs

Posted

Its unusual but there is absolutely no snow on the mountains here, and its mid September. If the nice weather continues it may be October before any snow hits the mountains...unheard of. Temps today due to hit 26oC...now that's what I call an Indian Summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

interesting to see that temperatures are still in the mid to high 20's across much of southern alberta and have been for some time now...a record breaking september perhaps??

interesting to see that temperatures are still in the mid to high 20's across much of southern alberta and have been for some time now...a record breaking september perhaps??

First major snowfall I have noticed for the season. Not sure if it'll hang about to begin creating a base for the Colorado resorts whilst in the Canadian Prairies the temps could hit a high of 90F mark including major cities like Calgary, AB, Regina SK and possible Saskatoon! Look: Posted Image

http://www.accuweath...ler=0&article=1

Wednesday could see near record-tying high temperatures for Calgary, AB???Posted Image

Surely a maximum temp of 33°C - (92°F) for autumn is quite remarkable now surely if not unheard of? - See below:

Both AccuWeather and CBC Calgary weather forecasts the same temps as seen below!

http://www.cbc.ca/ca...r/s0000047.html

http://www.worldweat.../056/c00622.htm

I do remember last year Banff and Canmore had already experienced sub-zero temps with frost and snow by this time!

Edited by Moonstar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Hi Moonstar.

Thanks for the updates.

Could you put your location in your signature

Ta