Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Hi all,

Well the snow storm started around 11am and we have a couple of inhes already, its just starting to get heavy and the winds are picking up. Looks like we are in for another blustery night tonight.

Hope you all enjoyed the snow in the UK. I hear theres more on the way........excellent.

TTFN

Debs

Look forward to the photos.

South of England possibly in for a severe event Thurs/Fri with cold air meeting a low pressure system. Someone down south is going to get a lot of snow, wouldn't be surprised to see 12-18" somewhere due to this, on top of what's already there.

Look forward to the photos.

South of England possibly in for a severe event Thurs/Fri with cold air meeting a low pressure system. Someone down south is going to get a lot of snow, wouldn't be surprised to see 12-18" somewhere due to this, on top of what's already there.

Not far off! Okehampton in Devon got 22 inches!

Posted

best our US correspondent contacts our Met Ofice or perhaps Paul to join our forecast team?

just read that in print and it sounds as if I was having a go at our forecasters - not the case, we all take collective responsibility so our forecasts/alerts are teamwork.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

WOW! WOW! WOW! Its not often that I go a bit crazy about snow but I have just witnessed prob the heaviest snow ever. We have just received 5 1/2 inches (approx 14cm's) of snow in 90 minutes. I am about to upload the pics for the level measurement on my bedroom balcony. It started at 6pm and was finished by 7:30pm...5 1/2 inches!!!

We were forecast flurries lol.

This is the first snow since Jan 8th! We wait a whole month which is unheard of and this happens, skiing tomorrow for sure.

Roger - any idea what made this so potent? The snowflakes were unusually large due to the extra moisture I guess but for it to be that heavy? not sure why that was?

post-4391-1233979599_thumb.jpg

Posted

Now its nice and sunny, temps around miun 4oC and no melting. Going to be a great day on the slopes today

WOW! WOW! WOW! Its not often that I go a bit crazy about snow but I have just witnessed prob the heaviest snow ever. We have just received 5 1/2 inches (approx 14cm's) of snow in 90 minutes. I am about to upload the pics for the level measurement on my bedroom balcony. It started at 6pm and was finished by 7:30pm...5 1/2 inches!!!

We were forecast flurries lol.

This is the first snow since Jan 8th! We wait a whole month which is unheard of and this happens, skiing tomorrow for sure.

Roger - any idea what made this so potent? The snowflakes were unusually large due to the extra moisture I guess but for it to be that heavy? not sure why that was?

That's some snowfall in 90 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hey, sorry Rich, I got distracted with many other things and never checked in on this thread.

Now I don't even remember February 9th ... but you know how it is forecasting in the mountains, some place can always get under a meso-scale convergence of some kind and you get a few inches in no time flat, I've seen this happen in the Kootenays as well.

The weather across North America has been fairly mild this past two weeks, nothing very spectacular. There's a trace of that super-cold regime left over in central Canada, but its influence seems to be confined to where it is parked, over northern SK and MB.

Some talk of a coastal low and 3-5 inches of snow for some parts of New England this coming Sunday and Monday, but not a very well-organized system.

Very unusual around here to have so many dry days in a row in February, although usually February is a bit less of an all-out rainy season than Nov, Dec and Jan. But basically it has been dry and quite often sunny for two weeks now. Still some of that very heavy early-season snow left in the shaded areas but most of the grass is now uncovered and looking dormant like it does near the end of a hot dry summer spell. Not outrageously warm but 10-12 C every day.

Posted

Roger, we too have experienced the same type of weather here, only 1 noticeable day of snow this year (52 days) extremely dry and very little snow. The ski hills are suffering from one of the worst years in a long time. Looks to change a little Monday -Wednesday as a low from the pacific comes along and stalls against the high pressure and slowly fizzles out. I think 6 inches possible here over the 2 days, especially if upslopng kicks in on an easterly wind

Posted

Hi All.

Well a second snow storm in 3 days. Last nights storm dropped well over 40 cms locally here. Heavy snow. some drifts upto 8 feet high in places. It started around 10pm last night and is still snowing now. Cleared the drive around 12 noon and by 1pm another inch had fallen, although I know this is light snow so I'm not too worried about tomrrow morings possible dig out as its supposed to stop in a few hours.

Its been a good 7 days. Wouldn't bet that this snow will last well into April, the packed snow and ice must be at least 7 feet on a level ground. Some snow piles are highrer than my house........makes for a great sliding hill for my daughter.... http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

May be the last decent snow of the season so it good its gone out with a bang....

TTFN

Debs

Hi All.

Well a second snow storm in 3 days. Last nights storm dropped well over 40 cms locally here. Heavy snow. some drifts upto 8 feet high in places. It started around 10pm last night and is still snowing now. Cleared the drive around 12 noon and by 1pm another inch had fallen, although I know this is light snow so I'm not too worried about tomrrow morings possible dig out as its supposed to stop in a few hours.

Its been a good 7 days. Wouldn't bet that this snow will last well into April, the packed snow and ice must be at least 7 feet on a level ground. Some snow piles are higher than my house........makes for a great sliding hill for my daughter.... http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

May be the last decent snow of the season so it good its gone out with a bang....

TTFN

Debs

http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif

Makes our snowfall 3 weeks ago seem like a dusting *sigh*

Posted

Thes torm has started here, moderate but persistant snowfall - 6 hours total so far, lots more to come. General amounts around 10cm's so far

Posted

:) yeah nothing to write home about lol

currently 8pm, been snowing now for well over 12 hours, only about 15cm's total though as it has been lighter and also high winds so blowing snow, difficult to measure the true depth, could be closer to 20cm's I guess

Temps minus 16oC with windchill in mid minus 20's....a nice winter storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

just a quick question..i have weather icon for the uk and alberta on my pc..and have noticed when its mild in the uk its is very cold in alberta..when it was cold in the uk it was very mild in alberta..now its mild in the uk its cold in alberta again..any link?...looking back at records it seems that mild winters in the uk correspond with colder winters in western canada and cold winters in the uk mild weather prevails in western canada...ive only looked at very mild winters and very cold winters in the uk and checked what the winters were like in alberta for those years...coincedence??

Posted

Its funny you should say that as I think there is some correlation. In the past 4 years more often than not if we have had extremely cold weather in western Canada, the UK is warmer. Take this winter, we had minus 40 mid December when it was warmer in the UK, and all the time it was cold in January/February in the UK, we have had lovely warm weather. Now its back to cold weather and the UK is warm. A big coincidence

Storm Update: The snow is relentless, it was snowing at 11pm last night after 18 hours of non stop snow, and it was still snowing when I woke up at 6am. Its currently 9:30am and still going. over 24 hours of snow. Not overly heavy but persistant. Prob level 20-25cm, but drifts of 2-3 ft in places due to the high winds. Some places you can see the grass where the wind is whipping up a fury, others you can't see garbage cans.

Upsloping definitely a feature here and due to persist for much of the day still, another 5cm expected.

Temps: minus 21oC, feels like minus 30oC wind chill

Posted

36 hours later...still snowing. It hasnt stopped ocne. Quite light but still hanging in there

Posted

Rain just turned to thick wet snow here, temp is 2 C. The arctic front is pushing out to the coast and we will get a bit deeper into the cold air tomorrow, so could see 10-15 cms at least on the higher parts of the city if not at sea level.

Much talk of a big east coast snowstorm for March 1st and 2nd (east coast of the states, that is, will track west of New Brunswick and bring a thaw with rain to Canada's east coast).

Posted

FREEZING RAIN WARNING: Saint John and CountyIssued at 3:29 PM AST SUNDAY 1 MARCH 2009

6 HOURS OR MORE OF FREEZING RAIN EXPECTED ON MONDAY. THIS IS A WARNING THAT AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

A DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM SOUTHWEST OF THE MARITIMES WILL PUSH A WARM FRONT OVER NOVA SCOTIA ON MONDAY AND INTO SOUTHERN NEW BRUNSWICK MONDAY EVENING. AHEAD OF THE FRONT SNOW IS FORECAST WITH 15 TO 25 CENTIMETRES EXPECTED ACROSS THE PROVINCE. OVER SOUTHERN REGIONS THE SNOW WILL BECOME MIXED WITH ICE PELLETS BEFORE CHANGING TO AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN LATER IN THE DAY MONDAY. MONDAY EVENING THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE OVER TO RAIN IN THE SOUTH WHILE SNOW MIXED WITH ICE PELLETS WILL PERSIST ACROSS NORTHERN REGIONS.

Hi All,

This is the weather report for here at the moment. Looking outside and the snow has started. Its big wet flakes and in only 1 hour we have over an inch.

Yesterday we lost alot of the snow from the rain and high temperatures and today it was bitterly cold again with temps down to -17 so everything froze. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Debs, it looks like a lot of sleet for you, some snow, some actual freezing rain, but I would expect a fair amount of crud like ice pellets or sleet. The main low is near Wilmington NC moving towards your location over the next 48 hours. I think it will come pretty close to Moncton by Tuesday morning. The milder air may get into eastern Nova Scotia but the warmest you will see is about -2 to 0 C by late Monday night.

Looks like a gradual warming trend through the second half of next week under modifying arctic high pressure.

This storm is expected to bring 7-12 inches of snow to DC, Philadelphia, NYC and Boston, perhaps a bit more in places.

The weather is fairly pleasant here, we escaped the chill yesterday and now it is a mild 11 C in a southeast wind, some rain earlier but sun trying to break through now. Spring blooming is about 1-2 weeks behind normal schedule though. Barely a sign of green on bushes or trees yet, crocus out recently.

Posted

Hi Roger,

Cheers for the info.......I guess its a case of wait and see. either way its going to be a messy drive to work tomorrow.

Must agree with you on the Spring like weather....it led us into a false sense of security I think and had a laugh and is once again blasting us with the cold......ah well what can we expect from Mother Nature eh.......

Mind you, snow is still a wonderful sight to see after being deprived of it for so long over the years so the more the better for now. Once spring gets here I will look forward to the summer and the heat that it brings......ah can almost smell the BBQ already....Mmmmmmmmm

TTFN

Debs

Edited by debs

Posted

Lots of chatter on the Airliners forum about Newark airport being either fully or partially closed today due to heavy snow with 1" to 2" per hour expected later. Also now indication that the whole of the East coast airport system is coming to a halt and in New York itself, it seems to be really coming in!

www.airliners.net/aviation-forums

Hope there's still some for me at the end of the month as I'm flying into Detroit via Orlando.

Times Square Webcam: www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork

www.bloomberg.com

The largest snowstorm of the season is on its way to New York City and the surrounding metropolitan area, with as much as a record-setting 14 inches expected to fall tonight and into tomorrow’s rush hour, meteorologists say. “It’s a good, old-fashioned snowstorm,” said Gary Conte, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Upton, New York. “The record for March is 10 inches (25 centimeters), set in 1896. Obviously, based on our forecast, that is in jeopardy. March is coming in like a lion.” The 1896 record was for daily snowfall.

Snow will be accompanied by high winds that will cause drifting and bring unseasonably cold weather, Conte said. Temperatures will range between 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-6 degrees Celsius) to just about the freezing mark, which is 10 degrees to 15 degrees below normal. “This is not the type of snow that gets melted within 24 to 48 hours,” he said.

Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Boston are all expected to receive significant snow falls.

Washington and Baltimore may receive between 5 inches and 9 inches through tomorrow. Philadelphia may see as much as 11 inches of snow, while Boston could get between 9 inches and 17 inches by the end of tomorrow, the National Weather Service said on its Web site.

Posted

Seems like the whole East coast as far down as Georgia (2" to 4" snow) is now affected with reports of thunderstorms in Florida and extensive snow in the NE and lots of flights cancelled as aircraft fail to get airborne, leaving things stacked up in the wrong places. New Jersey seems to be getting the brunt of it at the moment.

Posted

Winter storm update -- The surface low at the center of the winter storm is now off the coast of Southern New England. While snow showers will persist throughout much of the Northeast into the afternoon, additional heavy snowfall (in excess of 4 inches) today will generally be limited to northern New England (Boston and points north, including much of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine).

Snow continues to fall over parts of the Mid-Atlantic due to the proximity of the upper-level low which trails the surface low of the storm system. Most of the snow in the Mid-Atlantic will wind down by midday, with snow ending across the Northeast from south to north this evening

http://blogs.usatoday.com/weather

Posted

The storm is now winding down in DC and has a few more hours to go in NYC. So far the recorded amounts are pretty close to the predictions. I am basing this on extensive reports on NWS and Eastern-US-wx forum threads. There was generally 6-10 inches across large parts of NC and VA, DC and MD into Philly. Some parts of s NJ got a bit more. NYC had about 8-10 inches so far with perhaps 2-4 more to come. Eastern Long Island seems to have maxed out near 15 inches in places. New England has not had the second half of the storm yet but reports so far are around 7-9 inches. The snowfall has been rather thick in terms of moisture content and in most places was blowing diagonally in 25-40 mph winds, although this didn't quite make it to North American blizzard criteria, it would have been a U.K. blizzard for sure.

This low has never dropped below 998 mbs but is operating off a 45-mb differential with a strong high near Lake Michigan. If it had dropped to 980 mbs there would have been an all-out blizzard for sure.

By the way, whatever it says in NWS releases about March record snowfalls, the stations must have begun operation between 1888 and 1896 because there was an infamous three-day snowstorm March 12-14, 1888 that dropped three feet of snow over much of the northeast including New York City. This is known as the Blizzard of '88 and was far worse than any modern March or any other month storms in New York and the same area. And they still talk about the great snows of 1717 in Long Island and CT. These were also in late winter. Four feet of snow or more, had the early settlers climbing out of the second stories of their houses to get in and out.

This snow will likely all melt on Friday and Saturday as temperatures soar towards 15 C (near 60 F) and even higher in the southern part of the snow zone (22 C, 72 F predicted for Richmond, VA which has 7" of snow at the moment).

Saw some news coverage from around where Debs lives, they were confirming my idea of a big mess of ice pellets and sleet, which while unpleasant are a lot easier to deal with than freezing rain or snow, actually (crunchy rather than slippery if you get my drift).

Sunny and mild here at the moment after more rain overnight.

Posted

Quite cold across western Canada and the northern U.S. today, while very warm Gulf air is heading through Oklahoma towards the Mississippi River valley. Should set up a powerful severe storm outbreak on Tuesday in IL-IN, MO, AR and w TN-KY. Details to follow. The fronts are just coming together today and not much has happened yet aside from some moderate rain showers here and there, and the first flakes further north of what threatens to be a blizzard by late tonight in South Dakota and Minnesota.

Cold enough that it snowed here again, 5 cms on the ground this morning, some of which has slowly melted despite temps all day below -1 C.