Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

I'm sure they will find that reading to be reliable, parts of northern Maine are very sheltered from air movement if you get high pressure settling overhead, the northern half of the state is basically almost unpopulated and forms the drainage headwaters for the St John River that flows down into New Brunswick. I've flown across the area (there are only forestry roads in many parts) and there are ideal surfaces for strong radiational cooling, flat plains elevated above river valleys, sort of like eastern Siberia with its famous cold pockets. In fact, this place is probably the Oimyakon of eastern North America, I suppose. There's a similar station in northern Ontario that used to be an active "climat" reporting station, regularly went down to -50 C in cold winter situations when no other place around made it to -45 C.

Looks like the severe cold will gradually break after the weekend as milder Pacific air masses are making a gradual push east, so far they have reached Regina SK (up from -40 to +2 in two days) and western ND-SD, while Manitoba and the Red River valley are still in quite cold air although considerably warmer than yesterday at -15 C.

Despite the current cold, Washington DC has yet to record an inch of snow this winter, and PHL has only had snow in its suburban areas so far. It's rather a mixture of cold and mild signals for the east coast south of New York so far. Lucky that plane was able to land on ice-free water yesterday in relatively gentle winds, given the temps (-7 C) it would have been much less of a smooth rescue operation if the water had been choppy or littered with floating ice as may be the case in a few more days (-30 C upstate NY where the river comes from).

Strange weather here, I've only seen this pattern once before about eight or nine winters ago, very mild air overhead, strong surface inversion keeping fog over the city, sun gleaming off the higher windows of high-rise buildings making very odd sights like buildings floating in a sea of vapour, and while it's 4-5 C down at the surface here, if you drive a few hundred feet up the ski hill access roads on the north shore, you break into strong sunshine, it's 12 C, and you can look out at a vast sea of fog over the city. Rich must be basking in some pretty pleasant temperatures, Alberta's in a warm chinook pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Just to put that reading in some sort of context for folk from Blighty who may not have experienced anything like it, the temp at the South Pole base currently is -27C, and Vostok (normally the coldest place on the continent) is -36C, although I do realize in the S. hemisphere it is midsummer!

But still, -46C, at a similar latitude to southern France, that is impressive...

Posted

Lovely day here , unbroken sunshine and temps around 9oC. I managed to get out for a run outside for the first time since late October. Light jacket weather for walking around town, however the nights are still around minus 6oC. Looking ahead for the artic blast to return to western Canada though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Hi Steve,

I'm not cold in this house, as mentioned the houses are well insulated. I have the temp set to 18 degrees and its not clicked on for a while and the room temp is reading 22 degrees and that is all solar heatshining through the window...... I have a huge 10 foot wide window facing south and the Bay of Fundy and the sun is gloriously hot. I'm sure on my deck the ground temps are alot higher. Its different here that in the Uk because we tend to get lots of sunshine during the winter instead of the grey skies of the UK. When we visited back in 2006 it was -6 and windchills were -14 BUT over on PEI (Prince edward Island) where we were visiting, there were people sitting on their decks. we realise now that out of the wind and in the sun, you can do that here, even with minus temps as the sun is strong.......its a different kind of cold. One to be experienced.

TTFN

It sounds totally different from here. -20-40c would have serious implications on houses here. I had a pipe freeze a week or so ago. lost my central heating for a day.

Debs

Posted

Some record temperatures being recorded in western canada. Edmonton close to double digits, places on the arctic circle around 12oC. Clagary set to be 15oC, very nice almost spring like. However it looks like cold air will return next week as the arctic high progrsses south introducing colder arctic air back into western canada

Posted

From plus 2oC to minus 28oC windchill in 12 hours certainly hits the body hard, back to bitter cold here in Alberta

Posted

It continues rather cold in the western half of Canada, and much of the central to northeast U.S. as well. But the coldest air is over the eastern third of Canada, again.

A very slow-moving system is bringing a swath of freezing rain from OK to s MO and w KY with 3-6 inch snowfalls expected north of that. The system will take three days to reach New England on a very slow trajectory from n.e. TX to Long Island. Not much wind with the system, just the over-running precip bands.

On the west coast we are expecting a brief return to the snow that we have not seen for three weeks now (although that load is still melting away in the shade). Only expecting about 10 cms turning to rain by Wednesday, and perhaps we are then going to be seeing a milder second half of winter (if there still is half a winter, we've already had what seems like two).

Posted

It continues rather cold in the western half of Canada, and much of the central to northeast U.S. as well. But the coldest air is over the eastern third of Canada, again.

A very slow-moving system is bringing a swath of freezing rain from OK to s MO and w KY with 3-6 inch snowfalls expected north of that. The system will take three days to reach New England on a very slow trajectory from n.e. TX to Long Island. Not much wind with the system, just the over-running precip bands.

On the west coast we are expecting a brief return to the snow that we have not seen for three weeks now (although that load is still melting away in the shade). Only expecting about 10 cms turning to rain by Wednesday, and perhaps we are then going to be seeing a milder second half of winter (if there still is half a winter, we've already had what seems like two).

Mets now calling for 12-18" in central/northern New England up into the Canadian Maritimes including much of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Due to rate of snowfall and slowness of system, I would think some spots may well get 2 feet from this one.

Watch out Debs, another one on its way, although not as windy as the last big storm.

Posted

I agree Yozzer, the slow-moving storm will intensify and bring 12-18 inch snowfalls to VT, NH, s QC and parts of ME, nw NB, however, Debs may be far enough south to see the snow changing to freezing rain by Thursday night.

Expect a major freezing rain event across parts of KY, OH, WV, PA, MD, NJ, NY, CT-RI, MA, se NH and coastal ME. Snow will increase to the north of that band as the storm pulls in more moisture from the Atlantic.

Posted

Hi all,

Yes the weather warnings are in place for us as I type. Set to drop quite a bit of snow today and overnight. I hope it doesn't turn to rain too much. We still have what can only be described as and ice rink on the driveways of nearly every house in the village from last weeks freezing rain and rain event. Temps are set to rise to around 2 degrees by morning but then drop again by tomorrow afternoon.

I managed to get a couple of pictures of the trees after the ice storm. Enjoy.

Will keep you posted if I still have power tomorrow.

TTFN

Debs

post-47-1233155244_thumb.jpg

post-47-1233155310_thumb.jpg

post-47-1233155351_thumb.jpg

Posted

BIG east coast storm Mon/Tues. Lots of debate on exact track at the moment, gfs going for west of Appalachians giving big snowstorm for Great Lakes and Ohio Valley, but Euros tracking further East with the snow dropping on the Appalachians, but still heavy rain for I95 corridor.

Question is will it rival the 'Storm of the Century' from '93, or even the Valentine's day Nor'easter from 2007? I doubt it, but the jury is still out.

Whatever happens, it's going to be windy for most, snowy for some, wet for many, and followed by bitter winds for all...

Roger, what's your expert eye on this one???

Posted

I don't have a strong feeling as to which model track will verify, but the GEM is also to the east of the GFS, so it seems to be the lone wolf for a track slightly west of NYC and up the Hudson into southern Quebec, all the others seem to prefer New England to eastern Quebec. So if that's the track that verifies, it will likely be a very strong wind and rain event for eastern New England and the Maritimes, a mixed storm near NYC and a heavy snowfall over most of NY state, VT and northern NH into Quebec. Potential for 20-30 inches of snow with this track, if you get the GFS track you might have some rain and some ice pellets before your snow begins, so more like 10 inches with that track. Either way it will turn very cold at the end of the storm for a day or two, but then the flow rapidly changes to a mild westerly.

The storm reminds me more of the Feb 1-2 1976 storm which hit New Brunswick very hard with winds gusting to near 100 mph and a brief warmup to 12 C, even if not that extreme it may be one to watch carefully for Debs.

Anyway, will keep watching it and post updated thoughts on how it is developing, would say Tues-Wed the impact days, Monday it should still be developing over the Gulf stream east of Hatteras.

Posted

wow would love the be in NE USA, they are haivng one of their coldest winters for years with tonnes of snowfall!! Big Storm monday too looks awesome.

Edited by rob28081991

Posted

wow would love the be in NE USA, they are haivng one of their coldest winters for years with tonnes of snowfall!! Big Storm monday too looks awesome.

you could also come to live in croatia. this is the coldest winter in last 5 or 6 years. we also have tonnes of snowfall :)

Posted

I don't have a strong feeling as to which model track will verify, but the GEM is also to the east of the GFS, so it seems to be the lone wolf for a track slightly west of NYC and up the Hudson into southern Quebec, all the others seem to prefer New England to eastern Quebec. So if that's the track that verifies, it will likely be a very strong wind and rain event for eastern New England and the Maritimes, a mixed storm near NYC and a heavy snowfall over most of NY state, VT and northern NH into Quebec. Potential for 20-30 inches of snow with this track, if you get the GFS track you might have some rain and some ice pellets before your snow begins, so more like 10 inches with that track. Either way it will turn very cold at the end of the storm for a day or two, but then the flow rapidly changes to a mild westerly.

The storm reminds me more of the Feb 1-2 1976 storm which hit New Brunswick very hard with winds gusting to near 100 mph and a brief warmup to 12 C, even if not that extreme it may be one to watch carefully for Debs.

Anyway, will keep watching it and post updated thoughts on how it is developing, would say Tues-Wed the impact days, Monday it should still be developing over the Gulf stream east of Hatteras.

GFS now tending towards the Euros with the storm 'bombing' at the coast, which would still give a cold windy rain at the coast, but would pull the snow/rain line further East.

Interesting to see deep into FI the GFS showing a retrogressing LP moving from Nova Scotia/NB back towards New England! Wonder when was the last time that happened?

Posted

All models, even the NAM and GEM now coming on board with a more easterly track with this storm. My interest is obviously New England, and initial concern was for rapid snowmelt, heavy rain on hard frozen ground resulting in flood risk. I think that risk is now receeding, but being replaced by risk of another dump of snow away from the immediate coastline, although not a huge one (12" poss?), as the storm will move more rapidly than the last one this past week.

Interestingly, while all the other forecasters at Accuweather are keeping their powder dry on this for now, Henry Margusity has nailed his colours firmly to the mast and is going with the original track, and is being pretty bolshy about it too. Either he's very stupid or very wise. We'll know for sure in a couple of days whether he needs to bother turning up for work next week!!!

Edited by Yozzer

Posted

Afternoon everyone.

Well made it through the last storm, which was'nt too bad considering. Woke up with lots of ice everywhere from the frozen rain. Very pretty. Wind kept e awake most of the night though......had another 5cms of snow locally today, terrible to drive in but managed to get back from Sussex without ditchig the car....phew!

This coming storm, I hope it comes our way. Would love to have another nice big dumping as I think it may be the last big load of the season. Will keep a close watch. Already some TV forecasts have said 30 to 40cms here.....but we will see.

Hope all you Brits get a great white out.......why is it that it snows now in UK when I moved to Canada......talk about sods law.....lol Anyway have fun and don't get too bruised sledging.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

The way the models are now shunting the storm east, not sure it will have much impact at all apart from extreme eastern Canadian maritimes. The models, esp the GFS initially showed phasing of two systems which would have symbiotically 'bombed' along the east coast, but they are now pretty much out of sync, so unlikely to be much of an event at all really. Don't think 40cm is likely I'm afraid.

Henry Margusity is back-tracking big style today. Ouef sur le visage methinks!

Got a feeling the UK cold snap is being a bit over-egged as well, probably not surprising given that the worst will probably be hitting the South at rush hour Monday morning with drifts almost up to the top of the kerbstones! Gritters will arrive sometime in June no doubt.

Prob 5-10cm for parts of Southern half of England, and later further north. We really shouldn't have the problems that we no doubt will south of the border...

Posted

Well, looking at the models this morning, there is indeed a shift back westwards, but not to the original track (yet!), with DC, NYC and most of New England and the Canadian Maritimes inc Debs, getting a bit of a hammering Tues/Weds.

Watch this space...

Posted

Storm now really only for Canadian maritimes, so look out Debs. Not sure of your exact location, but expect up to 12" snow from this one, and could get pretty windy too.

As you've probably heard, the whole of the south east of England has ground to a halt with a few inches of the white stuff. Even most of the underground didn't run today because of the snow! Work that one out if you can...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Storm now really only for Canadian maritimes, so look out Debs. Not sure of your exact location, but expect up to 12" snow from this one, and could get pretty windy too.

As you've probably heard, the whole of the south east of England has ground to a halt with a few inches of the white stuff. Even most of the underground didn't run today because of the snow! Work that one out if you can...

We are not use to it, good enough ?

Posted

We are not use to it, good enough ?

Maybe that's why there is a need for a service called weatherunderground.com??? http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Posted

Ironic as this may be, most of the London underground is above ground.

Posted

Hi all,

Well the snow storm started around 11am and we have a couple of inhes already, its just starting to get heavy and the winds are picking up. Looks like we are in for another blustery night tonight.

Hope you all enjoyed the snow in the UK. I hear theres more on the way........excellent.

TTFN

Debs