Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

HI all,

Well this week I have had flash backs to UK weather with rain coming most days. Theres supposed to be a winter storm coming by Monday but might just be more rain for us here probably.

I have heard that the long term weather is good for snow in the next fortnight, we'll see.

As I type its just started raining again. Ah weel, cest la vie.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Temps here 7oC and raining...rain in December! its unheard of here. Still no snow for the season in town, but plenty today for the ski hills, which is good news. Gas is now 81.9 cents

Posted

Much colder air trying to push into BC and Alberta overnight, being directed more into SK and MB, expect it will turn quite a bit colder in Canmore, but not here on the coast for a few days yet, the storm track is beginning to shift south and with just a little more retrogression the predicted cold wave could start to appear, there is lots of very cold air in Alaska and northeast Siberia now.

Sloppy mess across Ontario last night, wet snow, rain, ice pellets, freezing rain ... this hit parts of NB today although I think it went a bit north of Debs.

Milder on the east coast again for Wednesday, then sharply colder by late Thursday ... looks like a roller-coaster ride for a few days, could turn very mild again end of next week in the east.

Posted

Went for a walk about 8 p.m. last night and the mild weather had definately given way to cold. The rain had turned to snow and was readily settling. Have woken up this morning and we have about 2 inches and temps are minus 7oC. Winter is finally here

Posted

lol, it doesnt stop here for anything. even the 2/3 feet we had in May. Everyone still managed to get to work within about an hour or 2 and the roads were cleared by afternoon

post-4391-1228241444_thumb.jpg

Posted

It's all because of the generally westerly flow in the atmosphere, my friend.

Over North America in winter, this allows very cold air masses from the arctic to get involved in the mix, so that snow is fairly common even as far south as the Gulf of Mexico at times, but there is probably more snow in the average winter in Birmingham AL than in Birmingham England. (maybe it's about equal)

Meanwhile, that westerly influence keeps air masses flowing towards Britain from the Atlantic, and even if the flow turns northerly it still has to cross a large amount of open water. But if the flow ever turns to the east then it can snow rather easily because from that direction the air masses could be almost as cold as winter air masses in North America, and only have to cross a relatively small body of water, the North Sea or the Channel.

So this explains why usually it is much milder, usually you have much less snow, but sometimes it can turn out the same, the latitude is not the reason, it's the surrounding oceans or land masses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

im see winter has finally arrived in southern alberta.

Posted

It certainly has, temps at 7:30sm this morning was a fairly chilly minus 17oC

Posted

Hi All,

Well the snow is avoiding us over here. Not had anymore since last weekend. More forecast later in the week, but we'l see what actually falls from the sky.

Things look quite cold out in Alberta way.

Stay warm folks

TTFN

Debs

PS. Gas prices now at 77.7 cents a litre

Edited by debs

Posted

Even colder today with temps this morning at minus -21oC. Snow not melted anywhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

out of interest what are the best set ups for snowfall in alberta..away from the rockies that is?

Posted

Away from the Rockies, ie Fort Mac down to Calgary would be for a low to come in just north of the biggest rockies on the jet stream and to work down SE. Often seen this as a big snowmaker

In Southern Alberta its the big storms that come in from the US and for us in the foothills it helps with the upslpoing, winds from the East that inhance the snow considerably

Posted

Debs, if you happen to see this, expect a heavy snowfall of near-blizzard proportions on Sunday (late) into Monday, 25 cms possible and very strong winds developing during and after the snowfall (backing from NE to NW) ... then several days of clear, cold weather and a warmup towards Wed-Thurs with rain likely to follow that. This storm hasn't even developed yet and is just lurking in a trough around the Great Lakes to southeast states, but all signs point to rapid development on Sunday, with the track across Cape Breton and western Newfoundland.

Rich, a lot of the longer-range models are showing the severe cold we talked about actually developing right over Alberta and Montana in about ten to fifteen days, between now and then just more of this variable somewhat cold pattern. So far it has stayed rather mild out here on the coast and there has still been very little snowfall in the alpine levels, it was clear enough today that I could see Grouse Mountain on the north shore and they don't even have snow covering the ski slopes up there (yet).

Posted

Roger, its interesting to note that it is potentially playing out as we thought. I dont mind if the cold comes then, I will be in the UK for 3 weeks so will probably escape the worst of it. However models ofr the uk look interesting for Christmas Day.

Also noteworthy is the lack of snow across most of western canada. With the very cold air coming down, I dont anticipate much more snow for our region due to the set up, but I could be wrong

Posted

Hi All,

Well the winds were definately strong last night and the waves were lashing the shore. Woke up this morning and it raining quite hard so perhaps the storms track is further west than it was predicted. It is forecast to turn to snow later in the day with another dumping in the week,

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Just had a snowstorm move in from BC - extremely heavy snowfall. We got 6 inches in 3 hours. Pictures on the photo thread.

Posted

It's finally starting to look like some wintry weather is on the way for Seattle come the end of the week http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

(And slightly unrelated, it's been dry and clear here for a while, and we had some wonderful lenticular clouds over Mount Rainier on Friday http://www.komonews.com/weather/blog/35631614.html )

Posted

Debs, I imagine you got some snow later, the rain was wrapping around the centre and perhaps right along the Fundy shore there you had more rain than inland, but the storm track verified pretty well, it pulled in a weaker low from the Great Lakes area so that had to go past before the colder air reached the centre.

Next item is a strong warming trend for Tuesday-Wednesday on the east coast with a sharp cold front to follow, but this will probably be the last gasp of the ongoing cold spell as retrogression is setting up the east for milder SW winds aloft and then at the surface while the west coast could become the staging ground for wintry weather to follow in about four or five days time. Extremely cold air mass moving southeast from Alaska into the NWT and northern parts of Alberta, Sask and Manitoba, -35 to -40 C readings with that, links to the cold high over Greenland through a ridge over the northeast arctic islands.

Considerable retrogression around the n.h. this week, but also accelerating flow with the lunar perigee, I expect the Wed-Thurs east coast storm to try to catch up to the one now heading across the Gulf of St Lawrence which will be near Iceland by that time. Models are starting to show this evolution better now, could be a 200-knot jet stream over many portions of the Atlantic and eastern N America by the 12th.

Posted

Hi All,

Yes Roger we did get snow later. Winds were strong and had about 5 inches of snow in the small hours of the monring after the rainfall. Temps were only -7 but windchill took it to -17 and it got colder as the day went on so yesterdays day end temps were -15 with a windchill making it -25. Roads are okay here at the moment but we have about 25cms forecast for this afternoon beofre it turns into rain again so a bit of a mess tomorrow.

Looks lovely outside. The ocean was "steaming" again, with the temps being so low and it looks like a glass sheet over the bay as its so calm. Have not managed to get any fotos yet as I have been busy working, but will take some today and post any good ones.

TTFN

Debs

Edited by debs

Posted

Looks like a nice blast of chilly arctic air is heading south into western Canada this weekend. Forecast temps for here are around minus -25oC day time max's, should be fun going out in the evening at the weekend.

Posted

Unusual for Texas to get snow before the North Eastern States - isn't that a bit rare?

www.chron.com

'An upper level storm system dumped as much as two inches of snow on some parts of Southeast Texas, creating icy road conditions and power outages, according to officials'

www.kbmt12.com

Posted

Indeed it is, even New Orleans had snow this morning

Big coold own on the way in the west, as an arctic outflow situation sets up and a front pushing south meeting with moisture from the pacific will produce snow for even Vancouver possibly by Saturday.

Roger - Do you think about 5 cm's is possible for your region?

I think I might be looking at 10cm's, maybe more from upsloping as the winds come in from the east around the High and introduce that colder arctic air. Minus 30's night time lows by the looks of the models by the end of the weekend for Alberta