Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Hello again everyone,

Not been on this most of the summer, weather here was hot. We had a week of bad weather which just happened to appear when the inlaws came over.....talk about timing, but even then it wasn't raining just overcast and muggy. No thunderstorms at all for me this year.

Ike took its toll on us with flooding in Saint John, we had over 100mm in less that 24 hours, it actually washed up an old railroad that used to run along the coast here in St MArtins, some 100 years ago. The locals say that the tide line was much further out then. Last year we were hit with the tail end of a hurricane (can`t remember its name) and we lost power, this time it was just flooding.

Weather here is getting chilly, last week Saint John dipped below freezing and we had -2 here yesterday morning. Day time temps are hitting around 18 degrees. Now last year I remember it being so much warmer, we arrived last August and so saw the end of summer, but this year seems to be cooler, I even remember writing that I'd caught the sun and that was in October.

Just wondering if this is a good sign for another snow filled Winter this year and will it start early. Last year it snowed on December 1st and we never saw the grass again till March/AprilÉ

Nice to see all the familiar names on here again.

TTFN

Debs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Welcome back Debs,

Sounds like your summer was a great deal better than ours over here; Ike and flooding aside.

I'm still envious of your weather but look forward to your tales and pictures of the forthcoming winter, keep em coming.

Posted

welcome back Debs, your snow reports may be all we have to look forward to over here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Please post your snow reports, I have a feeling it's the only fix of snow most will have this winter.

Posted

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome back.....of course I shall shower you with fotos, but it looks like the UK may be getting its share of snow too.....or is this just another hype?

Weather here is warmer than of late, Morning temps were 10C so perhaps this is the "Indian Summer" effect the locals were mentioning. Best make the most of it if it is.

Take care

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Debs, good timing that you are back on because Kyle is heading for the region, landfall (as a strong TS or weak cat-1 hurricane) is currently predicted to be near the Maine-NB border on Sunday night, but within the uncertainty of this track it could easily be closer to your location, and in any case heavy rain is likely on Sunday and Monday through the region (again).

Personally I think you may be in for a mild, wet winter with the snow held back into February and March, mostly rain for the earlier portions.

Posted

Debs, good timing that you are back on because Kyle is heading for the region, landfall (as a strong TS or weak cat-1 hurricane) is currently predicted to be near the Maine-NB border on Sunday night, but within the uncertainty of this track it could easily be closer to your location, and in any case heavy rain is likely on Sunday and Monday through the region (again).

Personally I think you may be in for a mild, wet winter with the snow held back into February and March, mostly rain for the earlier portions.

Hi Roger,

Cheers for the heads up on Kyle....will get things sorted in case power goes out. Its raining today so thats probably part of Kyle as well.

Not too keen on your prediction for my snow, I'm a snow lover and the thought of rain is depressing, but at least I know we'll have some.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Debs, are you still near Saint John NB? ... I think Kyle will come ashore west of there about 0500h local time on Monday. There will be some wind gusts to near 70-80 mph in a narrow band just to the east of where it makes landfall but you're more likely to see 40-50 mph, as well as another 50-100 mms of rain. The rain you've had so far is from a separate frontal system that was already coming along before Kyle got its name a couple of days back. But there won't be much of a break from this rain to Kyle's rain.

Anyway, I'll keep a close eye on it and post again later Sunday afternoon as to the updated track, however, I'm sure the local media will be showing this in detail by Sunday night (at which time Kyle should be in the Gulf of Maine).

As to the rainy mild winter, you can see your share of snow in that pattern, a lot of the storms will start with snow and change over to rain in New Brunswick in a pattern like that. Water temps seem to be running 2-4 C above normal around Newfoundland so I expect these storms to be pretty wound up at times.

Posted

Debs, are you still near Saint John NB? ... I think Kyle will come ashore west of there about 0500h local time on Monday. There will be some wind gusts to near 70-80 mph in a narrow band just to the east of where it makes landfall but you're more likely to see 40-50 mph, as well as another 50-100 mms of rain. The rain you've had so far is from a separate frontal system that was already coming along before Kyle got its name a couple of days back. But there won't be much of a break from this rain to Kyle's rain.

Anyway, I'll keep a close eye on it and post again later Sunday afternoon as to the updated track, however, I'm sure the local media will be showing this in detail by Sunday night (at which time Kyle should be in the Gulf of Maine).

As to the rainy mild winter, you can see your share of snow in that pattern, a lot of the storms will start with snow and change over to rain in New Brunswick in a pattern like that. Water temps seem to be running 2-4 C above normal around Newfoundland so I expect these storms to be pretty wound up at times.

Hi Roger,

Just had a warning on the radio that the tropical storm was upgraded to a hurricane with gusts over 100km and heavy rain, Report said it should be hitting Saint John around early hours of Monday.

Will take caution I guess and stock up the water. We'll see what develops. My cat is acting pretty strange though!!!! Could it be true they can sense things...lol

Not sure what the tides are around that time but I am about 50 yards from the ocean so will see some pretty fierce seas. Will try and get some photos or video.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Hello all,

Well still here, so thats a good thing. Weather last night was quite exciting. Horizontal rain and trees bending all over the place, but thankfully no damage here. Nova Scotia on the other hand, got it alot worse.

Managed to get a video, but quite frankly it didn't do the winds speed justice, never mind, still exciting to witness and the waves were hitting the road that runs along side my house to the beach, they didn't make ot to the house though, thank goodness.....lol

Lovely weather, all the same, heres hoping for some more, theres just something so amazing about strong winds, actually feeling the force of mother nature....know what I mean????

Weather is bright today, would have thought nothing happened last night, and its muggy again too!

Anyways TTFN

Debs

xx

Posted

Amazing sustained warmth here in southern Alberta. Temps have topped the 20oC's for days now and expected to do so right to the end of the week. Cold and frosty nights though down to minus 3oC last night...great indian summer

Posted

Morning,

Well slight chill to the air last night again but the sun is shining and the skies are clear of any clouds. Outside temps are 17 degrees at present although my deck temps are readin 28 degrees out of the sun.

Looks like we are set for quite a few days of the same. Leaves have changed color quicker than they did last year, from what I can remember, so everything looks nice and colorful again outdoors.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Wok eup to 4 cm's of snow and heavy snow. By 2pm it had all but gone in the valley but much needed snow for the base layer for ther ski hills...only 4 weeks til Sunshine opens

Posted

Frequent light snow showers here today, max temps around 2oC. Night time temps due to drop to minus 10oC tonight. Certainly a contrast to the mid 20's we got last week. hasving bbq's and drinking out on the deck. Ah well, only 7 months before we can do that again lol

Here is a webcam snapshot of sunshine ski village today

post-4391-1223667061_thumb.jpg

Posted

Heavy snow next 36-48h over parts of WY, MT with a cold rain on northeast winds in the northern plains states, moving towards Manitoba, as low pressure develops over CO and moves northeast.

Strong winds likely across southern CA, NV, UT and AZ as the low departs from the UT-CO border region tonight, reaching 60 mph in gusts and causing blowing dust and sandstorm conditions in some parts of the desert southwest. This is not a Santa Ana wind, which would be easterly, but a strong northerly outbreak. The front will begin to interact with northward-moving Norbert and drag it into northern Mexico through early next week.

Further east, a pleasant spell of Indian summer weather for the Great Lakes and northeast U.S., highs 20-24 C.

The arctic has turned very cold and temperatures are as low as -15 C in some parts of the arctic islands and northern mainland, more like -5 C in Baffin Island, and this colder air has sagged south into western Canada in modified form, although not much modified ... it is snowing in northern Manitoba today. Sunny and a crisp 13 C where I live, slight frosts even in the suburban zone expected tonight.

http://futureweatherinc.com

Posted

Snow fell on Sunday across southeast SK province in Canada and western ND, eastern MT and WY. This picture was taken Monday morning by a relative who lives in Regina SK ... quite early for snow even in that part of the world. Probably all gone today, but a good omen perhaps?

post-4238-1223970296_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Snow fell on Sunday across southeast SK province in Canada and western ND, eastern MT and WY. This picture was taken Monday morning by a relative who lives in Regina SK ... quite early for snow even in that part of the world. Probably all gone today, but a good omen perhaps?

Very cold air spilling out of the Canadian arctic to affect 2/3rds of the US getting as far south as Florida. Very potent thrust with lake effect snow. This cold is potent and normally isn't expected until well into November.

BFTP

Posted

Very cold air spilling out of the Canadian arctic to affect 2/3rds of the US getting as far south as Florida. Very potent thrust with lake effect snow. This cold is potent and normally isn't expected until well into November.

BFTP

Hi Blast,

Just saw your post and wondered if it will effect anything here in the maritimes? We've had a few snow flurries this past week but nothing major. My husband said Quebec and Buffalo New York has had a dumping already, which is a little earlier than last year.

Only curious as its almost halloween and just owndering what the kids should wear, costumes or snow suits.....lol

Pretty windy day here at the moment, and pretty darn cold too. Travelling to work a couple of times this week and had a frost to scrape off the windshield. not risen much above Freezing on 2 occasions. Thata about my news.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Looks like upstate New York will get a fair bit of the white stuff into this evening and overnite mainly over the higher elevations but some into the capital Albany then the lake effect snow will take over.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/snow_125816...es_weather.html

Posted

Here in the west its 15oC and we still await the winter to arrive. Its been amazing how good the Fall has been, and its predicted to continue into the weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Hi Blast,

Just saw your post and wondered if it will effect anything here in the maritimes? We've had a few snow flurries this past week but nothing major. My husband said Quebec and Buffalo New York has had a dumping already, which is a little earlier than last year.

Only curious as its almost halloween and just owndering what the kids should wear, costumes or snow suits.....lol

Pretty windy day here at the moment, and pretty darn cold too. Travelling to work a couple of times this week and had a frost to scrape off the windshield. not risen much above Freezing on 2 occasions. Thata about my news.

TTFN

Debs

Hi Debs

Sorry, visit in here less frequently than other parts, you probably have the answer by now! The cold was spilling South AND East. What are your current conditions?

BFTP

Posted

Debs, and other readers, the cold is heading mostly south rather than east, as a very sharp trough has developed near the New York-New England border, directing a developing low almost due north from around Long Island towards central Quebec. That will hold back the colder air for several days and by the time it reaches the Maritimes it won't be that cold any longer, because this outbreak is fading gradually after tomorrow, to be replaced by a new one on the same track southeast from the Yukon through central Canada on the weekend.

On my website, I have a section for short-range forecasts that cover North America in general terms. You can find these on the home page link, at

http://futureweatherinc.com

The dot com part of that is much more of a dot org at this point in time, but if you spot a really nice forecast you can always turn me into a dot com hundredaire.

Oh, also, the weather here is fabulous, quite often by now the rainy season has set in, but it has been sunny and quite warm in the daytime for almost a week now. However, this was part of the thinking for the winter forecast -- mild western autumn, cold western winter ... so we shall see.

Posted

Oh, also, the weather here is fabulous, quite often by now the rainy season has set in, but it has been sunny and quite warm in the daytime for almost a week now. However, this was part of the thinking for the winter forecast -- mild western autumn, cold western winter ... so we shall see.

Hi Roger

I remember discussing this last month and we both said that it felt like a warm fall, to be followed by a cold winter. The first part is so far correct. Wait for later in the week...looks like a pineapple express is on the way for your area and west