Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Today's main action so far in lower Michigan, squall line with numerous severe cells, one or two weak tornadoes, approaching Lansing and Flint in about an hour. May spill over into southwestern Ontario around Sarnia to London.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

ive just spent 2 weeks in edmonton alberta and maybe moving from ontario as ive been offered a big money job...very cool and damp during my stay with temperatures a good 3-4 degrees below normal..what a contrast to when i was out there mid may when temps reached 30c...however i missed the big storms that hit southern ontario early last week.

Posted

On Monday there was a huge rain and hail storm in Toronto, I just saw some video of it on the news here ... the hail was so heavy in some places that people were shovelling it off their driveways, and it was up to their knees (although melting fast). Looked like huge piles of slush ;) more snow than most of you had last winter. Small cold core tornadoes caught on video too, F0-1 type mostly. It was not a hot day, just a trough moving through with cool air on both sides. Quite unusual, in all the years I lived in that area, I don't remember hail from a summer thunderstorm accumulating on the ground, in October certainly.

Posted

Topsy turvy weather here atm. Saturday was 27oC and fairly humid then a cold front passed though with very strong winds and the next day it was 17oC. Temps have remained similar since but weekend due to get back up to 27oC if we are lucky. Lets hope summer kicks in proper now

Posted

Well we got the heat alright, it is in fact blazing hot all across western Canada this weekend, about 34 C where I live not too far from the weak sea breeze front, and 38 C in some parts of southern interior valleys of BC ... generally close to or a little above 30 C across Alberta and into SK and MB as well. This looks like lasting a few more days with a gradual cool-down from the north although at first just an increase in cloud with some scattered t'storms over the mountains.

Back east it is just average now after they had the one burst of heat earlier in the month. Overall, it has been a cool June here although these last three days will place a serious dent in the anomaly that had built up.

Posted

Friday was 26oC, Saturday was 30oC and yesterday we topped out at 33oC. Its unusual for the mountains but we were sitting out on the deck at 11pm last night and the temp was still around 28oC, it was superb...not easy to sleep in though, had to kick in the air con for the first time in a long time

As a note, it means that so far this year we have had a temp difference of 71.1oC...from a low of minus 38oC in January to yesterdays high of 33.1oC

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Wow, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday it was 24oC and I got a touch of sunburn, today it is currently 9oC with some light rain with a mix of either wet hail or sleet. Amazing

Forecast for the weekend is for warmer, sunnier weather here in southern Alberta...thankfully

Posted

Extremely cold night last night, temps down to 2oC with a rain/snow mix but no settling in town. Settling snow levels came right down to approx 5500ft to 6000 ft.

Here is a really bad pic taken on my phone

post-4391-1215786582_thumb.jpg

Posted

This surge of much colder air has reached the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border and western ND now, and a very high risk of tornadic storms is assessed for southeast Manitoba (including Winnipeg) and eastern ND into w MN. Upper level winds are very strong and there is a big thickness and height fall associated. The dynamics are juicy to say the least, right now (2 pm CDT) at Grand Forks ND the temp/dp is 29/23 with a gusty SSE wind, while at Regina SK it is 13/8 with a WNW wind at 30 mph gusting to 50. And in between there is a squall line developing near Portage MB south into n.e. ND, heading towards Winnipeg.

Yesterday as this front came through BC here, there was considerable wind damage both in Vancouver and Kelowna in the Okanagan. Gusts to 60 mph were recorded and trees were brought down. Then in Lethbridge AB there was hail to 3 cms.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Hi

My family (wife & daughter) and I are going to be in Montreal for 10 days attending a conference from the 31st. We then intend to go to Old Orchard Beech about 2hrs north of Boston on the coast for a week. As my daughter uses apowered wheelchair to get around it would really help for any indication of the likely weather. My understanding is that in montreal it should be about 80ish and possibly humid and similar on the coast but less humid. Is this a reasonable assumption or is the present patterns indicating something different.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Jon

Posted

Hi

My family (wife & daughter) and I are going to be in Montreal for 10 days attending a conference from the 31st. We then intend to go to Old Orchard Beech about 2hrs north of Boston on the coast for a week. As my daughter uses apowered wheelchair to get around it would really help for any indication of the likely weather. My understanding is that in montreal it should be about 80ish and possibly humid and similar on the coast but less humid. Is this a reasonable assumption or is the present patterns indicating something different.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Jon

hope this helps, its the US equivalent of our Met O

http://www.weather.gov/

hope the trip is a success in every way, weather included!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Here in New York we are at the hottest part of the year. The past week has seen temperatures reach 33+ for seven days in a row, and night-time lows between 22 and 26oC.

Right now it's 28oC, with a dewpoint of 22oC and humidity of 81%; so although the temperature is a good 7o below the peaks, it feels terrible. We're under a severe storm watch which explains the high humidity and thoroughly uncomfortable airmass:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 738 IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS

IN CONNECTICUT THIS WATCH INCLUDES 4 COUNTIES

IN SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT

FAIRFIELD MIDDLESEX NEW HAVEN NEW LONDON

IN NEW JERSEY THIS WATCH INCLUDES 5 COUNTIES

IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY

BERGEN ESSEX HUDSON PASSAIC UNION

IN NEW YORK THIS WATCH INCLUDES 11 COUNTIES

IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK

BRONX KINGS (BROOKLYN) NASSAU NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) ORANGE PUTNAM QUEENS RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND) ROCKLAND SUFFOLK WESTCHESTER

There are two lines of storms about 30 miles to the West of Manhattan training in a South-West to North-East direction, with the whole front moving slowly East. Could be a couple of fairly powerful storms from this system, so we shall see.

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

It's been a while coming, but a Severe Thunderstorm Warning has just popped up on the TV (it woke me up!):

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY 924 PM EDT WED JUL 23 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... QUEENS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK... RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND) COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK... KINGS (BROOKLYN) COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK... NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK... EASTERN UNION COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY... EASTERN ESSEX COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY... SOUTHERN BERGEN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY... HUDSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...

* UNTIL 1015 PM EDT...

* AT 923 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING PENNY SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR TOTTENVILLE...OR NEAR SAYREVILLE...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 36 MPH.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR... TOTTENVILLE BY 930 PM... HUGUENOT AND CLARK BY 935 PM... LINDEN BY 940 PM... ELIZABETH AND TODT HILL BY 945 PM... BAYONNE AND TOMPKINSVILLE BY 950 PM... JERSEY CITY AND HARRISON BY 955 PM...

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM WEDNESDAY EVENING FOR SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

Looks to me like this will skirt Queens to the West and hit Manhattan and New Jersey on the border of Manhattan.

Also looks like they may have to extend the severe thunderstorm watch beyond 10pm (it's 9.30 now) as the front is taking a long time to cross this area.

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

Latest satellite picture showing storm and my position (shame this isn't available in the UK - the radar capabilities are amazing over here):

post-1957-1216864957_thumb.png

Posted

The storm shown above dumped 0.54 inch of rain in seven minutes on Newark airport. That's some pretty heavy rain! The TV is on the blink now as well. Looks like we've got another round of storms just over the water in New Jersey which is heading this way; some red echoes involved in that storm as well. A noisy night ahead methinks...

The severe watch has now been extended until 5am EDT. Can't say I'm surprised looking at the radar to the SSW!

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

Storm right overhead now. Very heavy rain, lots of lightning and loud thunder. Coupled with the sound of rain hitting the A/C unit, it's very noisy right now. I wouldn't be too surprised if we lose power at some stage tonight. We shall see....

post-1957-1216867326_thumb.png

Posted

Storm right overhead now. Very heavy rain, lots of lightning and loud thunder. Coupled with the sound of rain hitting the A/C unit, it's very noisy right now. I wouldn't be too surprised if we lose power at some stage tonight. We shall see....

post-1957-1216867326_thumb.png

Cheers for the updates- I see on accuweather there was some flooding, did you get any?

http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-headli...008-07-24_06:11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Was it a decent storm? Any pics?

I notice it seems a very similar scenario to what we get during Spanish plumes, especially here in the SE, with land and an approaching cold front from the west, and a surge of warm humid air pushing from the south ahead of it.

Hoping for a similar set up Monday evening :cc_confused:

Posted

Was it a decent storm? Any pics?

I notice it seems a very similar scenario to what we get during Spanish plumes, especially here in the SE, with land and an approaching cold front from the west, and a surge of warm humid air pushing from the south ahead of it.

Hoping for a similar set up Monday evening :wallbash:

No; it was getting late, and the storms are far to dangerous to be wandering around in! Besides that, I would have been soaked as would my camera...

No flooding here, but I'm not surprised that some places did flood. We had another round of storms at about 3am which I slept through.

The system spread on into Maine this morning causing a tornado watch to be issued up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

post-4890-1217445953_thumb.jpg

Looking pretty wintry in Barrow at present, temp around freezing, snowing, windchill about -6. Notice the sea ice which had broken up and moved down the coast and further offshore has now blown back in. They're certainly hardy types up there!

Posted

Certainly been an interesting summer for much of canada and alaska. Very wet conditions, mixed in with often cold weather. It was cold enough for some snow on the mountains last night here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Hi

Been here in Montreal for two days and the weather is mixed sunshine and showers. Temps are very pleasant at around 25. The showers can come very quick and be quiet heavy but fortunately not been caught out in one yet. The locals say that July has been cooler and wetter than normal here so iy seems a similar pattern to back home. Looking at the next week it seems that we will get much of the same

Jon

Posted

The heat across the CONUS has been intense over the past week, and remains so into the start of next week. Dallas has been hitting highs of 105oF (41oC) and will probably reach 108oF today (42oC). In fact, Dallas has been over 100oF for five of the past six days and has another three or so to go.

Similarly, Denver has just broken a record; they recorded 19 days of 90oF or over which beat the previous streak of 18 set in about 1903. In fact, Denver is also up to 100oF at the moment. The heat extends across much of the Low Plains and Texas, with many places recording triple-digit heat. In some places, the heat must be completely unbearable; adding in humidity, places like Memphis, TN have felt like 120oF +.

There are two exceptions to the heat right now; the North East and the North West, who are both under a trough right now.

I had an amazing flight from Chicago to New York last night; a line of storms over Northern Ohio provided quite the light show out of the right hand side, and then we had to divert to the south to avoid another cell which meant we had another light show on the left hand side for quite a while.

Anyway, this line of storms has now reached New York; we are under a severe thunderstorm watch until 6pm, and have just had a severe storm warning cancelled as an approaching storm broke up somewhat (looks like South Connecticut is getting hammered right now). Another line is coming in about an hour or so; it's going to be a lively day!

Posted

As a note, it means that so far this year we have had a temp difference of 71.1oC...from a low of minus 38oC in January to yesterdays high of 33.1oC

Coops - you have just basically summarised, weather wise, the main reason why i hope to reside in that part of the world one day

Like many, im a fan of weather extremes - that is just fantastic

Real winters, proper summers - like they should be http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif

Posted

All kicking off in Chicago right now. I'm sitting over in Kalamazoo, MI, about 150 miles East. A PDS (particularly dangerous situation) watch has just been issued for Chicago, North West Indiana and South West Michigan. A strong bow-echo on the doppler and two tornado warnings have already been issued for Cook county. Even without the tornado warnings, winds are gusting to 60-80mph. I wouldn't fancy being in O'Hare tonight trying to get out!

TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL 758 PM CDT MON AUG 4 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... CENTRAL COOK COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS...

* UNTIL 830 PM CDT...

* AT 754 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR INDICATED STRONG ROTATION IN A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM NEAR FRANKLIN PARK...MOVING EAST AT 42 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... NORRIDGE...HARWOOD HEIGHTS...AND PARK RIDGE BY 805 PM... LAKEVIEW...LOGAN SQUARE...ROGERS PARK...AND HUMBOLDT PARK BY 815 PM... MONTROSE HARBOR...LINCOLN PARK...AND NAVY PIER BY 820 PM...

THIS TORNADO WARNING INCLUDES THE CITY OF CHICAGO.

TAKE COVER NOW! IF NO BASEMENT IS AVAILABLE...MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR. MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES SHOULD BE ABANDONED FOR MORE SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. AVOID WINDOWS!

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 PM CDT FOR EXTREME EAST CENTRAL LA SALLE... NORTHERN WILL...SOUTHERN KENDALL... NORTHERN GRUNDY...DUPAGE...COOK... SOUTHERN LAKE AND SOUTHEASTERN MCHENRY COUNTIES...

AT 756 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING PENNY SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM MUNDELEIN TO BENSENVILLE TO WILLOW SPRINGS TO MOKENA TO CHANNAHON...MOVING EAST AT 62 MPH.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR... BANNOCKBURN BY 800 PM... LAKE FOREST...LAKE BLUFF...WINNETKA...AND WILMETTE BY 805 PM... WILMETTE HARBOR...UNIVERSITY PARK...THORNTON... AND STEGER BY 810 PM... SAUK VILLAGE BY 815 PM... DOWNTOWN CHICAGO BY 805 PM...

THIS SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING INCLUDES THE CITY OF CHICAGO.

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. SEEK SHELTER IN A BASEMENT OR INTERIOR ROOM OF A STURDY BUILDING. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

VERY HEAVY RAINFALL MAY CAUSE LOCALIZED FLOODING.

In fact, as I type a tornado has been reported on the ground East of Elgin:

post-1957-1217898414_thumb.jpg

Possible tornadoes also reported at Elmhurst and Lincoln Park/Navy Pier. No confirmations yet, but events are happening quickly right now!

Further Updates 2020CDT:

At 758 PM... local law enforcement reported a tornado near Elmhurst.

This tornado was located near Elmhurst... moving east at 41 mph.

Franklin Park is near O'Hare.

At 758 PM... trained weather spotters reported a funnel cloud. This

tornado was located near Franklin Park... moving east at 47 mph.

At 803 PM... local law enforcement reported a tornado. This tornado

was located near Schiller Park... moving east at 47 mph.

Heavy rain, tornado warning sirens sounding in downtown Chicago

Found a cool shot of the effect of the storm cell on flights in the area:

post-1957-1217899390_thumb.png