Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Hiya,

I have to agree with you Whitefox, when I worked in New York I never felt unsafe. I remember have great chats after wotrk in the local bars and I also remember how upfront they were. One of the first questions I was ever asked in a New York bar was how much do I earn, now being British I was slighly taken aback that someone wold ask that in a conversation, considering that I never really knew them, but then I realised that its normal and its not a way of being materialistic, its just their way and I loved it. I also lived in the Carolinas and boy of boy was that religious......there were more churches than houses, but still an experience I wouldn't have turned down and it snowed there once as well whilst I was there. Now from a single 25 year old females point of view (at that time) Washington DC was a paradise.....think Officer and a Gentleman...... ;)

In defence of the New Brunswick weather I will have to say that last summer (and I am not too sure whether this is normal) we had temps into the 30's with humidity making it feel more like 40 degrees, but even if it only reaches mid 20's I'll be happy because there is the guarantee of sunshine and not constant rain like there seems to have been in the UK for the last few years.

Weather today has snow flurries at present but its a lot milder out there again today....does'nt feel like -8 outside which is good. I have no satalite at the moment as I am moving house next week and already given them a months notice so its diconnected, so if there are any pending storms please keep me advised. Ta very much

Debs

Posted

Hi ppl,

I'm off to Montreal tomorrow until next Weds. Does anybody know what the weather conditions/temps are expected for this period?

Many thanks in advance.

Dee

Posted

Hi ppl,

I'm off to Montreal tomorrow until next Weds. Does anybody know what the weather conditions/temps are expected for this period?

Many thanks in advance.

Dee

Hi Dee,

Well just checked on news channel. Tomorrow is going to be about -14 not too sure of windchill and the rest of the week is going to be below freezing. I'm sure others on here will definately give a more in depth report but those are the basics.....bring your thermals and your french translation.......whats bringing you to Montreal, business or pleasure?

Debs

Posted

Hi ppl,

Many thanks in advance.

Dee

Over those days on NW charts you have a high of -0.2 Lows of around -14. A few snowy days and some sunny spells. Take plenty of thermals and heated socks.

Posted

Glen, Debs,

Thanks for your replies.

I've been told by my friends to bring swimming trunks and suntan lotion ;) Jokingly of course.

Looking forward to seeing my first bit of snow of the year.

Thanks again.

Hi Dee,

Well just checked on news channel. Tomorrow is going to be about -14 not too sure of windchill and the rest of the week is going to be below freezing. I'm sure others on here will definately give a more in depth report but those are the basics.....bring your thermals and your french translation.......whats bringing you to Montreal, business or pleasure?

Debs

Pleasure - i have some Lebanesse friends who have just moved there from South Africa and have recently wed. We missed the wedding in SA so we thought it would be nice to join them in Montreal - to help them settle in a little and share a few beers, sights and sounds.

My french is none existant so i'll be relying on my friends to get me through - although there can't be many words for beer.Lol

Dee

Edited by deehamps

Posted

Deehamps, expect the weather in Montreal to be very cold, overnight lows during your visit could be -18 to -22 C and daytime "highs" struggle to reach -8 C at best, some days closer to -13 C. Wind chill slight, only moderate winds expected and not much if any fresh snow, perhaps trace to 1 cm amounts near the end of your visit.

The main storm track is running around to the south of New York and also New Brunswick towards Newfoundland. Debs, on the current models, a snowstorm will just miss you Saturday morning, you might get a period of stronger NE winds and 1-3 cms but the main snowfall zone will be eastern NS and PEI into western NF.

No change to the earlier Detroit outlook except that the models have downgraded the risk of snow for Monday to a general light snowfall of 1-2 inches.

Posted

Deehamps, expect the weather in Montreal to be very cold, overnight lows during your visit could be -18 to -22 C and daytime "highs" struggle to reach -8 C at best, some days closer to -13 C. Wind chill slight, only moderate winds expected and not much if any fresh snow, perhaps trace to 1 cm amounts near the end of your visit.

The main storm track is running around to the south of New York and also New Brunswick towards Newfoundland. Debs, on the current models, a snowstorm will just miss you Saturday morning, you might get a period of stronger NE winds and 1-3 cms but the main snowfall zone will be eastern NS and PEI into western NF.

No change to the earlier Detroit outlook except that the models have downgraded the risk of snow for Monday to a general light snowfall of 1-2 inches.

Looking ahead, could be some white stuff for you next week Roger? Haven't had time to really peruse the charts, but sub -5 850s and sub 528 thicknesses coupled with PPN look to be on the cards. Certainly some snow for any higher ground.

Posted

I think you're right there, WF, from Saturday to Monday it's probably a case of light mixed precip at altitude sort of thing, with the snow line pretty close to 100 m, which is about where I live actually -- then from late Monday to Wednesday the real arctic air gets involved with slow-moving low pressure offshore, and then it could snow harder and right down to sea level. The interior of BC and Alberta will turn progressively colder through this whole period with some really bitter arctic air building up over the Yukon.

I have to say this is a much colder winter here than most of the other dozen winters we've had since moving here in 1995, and yet it has had more sunshine so it is actually quite agreeable, this is better than the non-stop rain that often lasts from November to February here. I don't think we've had even half the normal amount of rain this winter. No snow on the ground here at present, except for some patches in shaded areas, but snow is lying on top of Burnaby Mountain which despite its name is really just a hill rising to 300 metres a.s.l., so the snow line is essentially 200 metres and has been for several weeks now.

Posted

Hello everyone,

Its cold here again today presently temps are -21 and the windchill is -30 and I must admit you can feel that wind alot....brr. Its lovely and sunny again today, so thats three days of azure blue skies and cold temps. I think sunny days do make it easier to take the lower temps, and you don't feels as depressed IMO.

Hope we get more snow soon though as our igloo is wilting slightly as is "Shifty" the Snowman..... :( (My daughters choice of name....not mine...lol)

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Debs, get ready for a real mess around there on Monday and Tuesday, much milder air is going to come in from the southeast and bring a period of freezing rain, sleet then rain and temperatures as mild as 6-8 C, a lot of your snow will melt but probably not all of it, and there will be a lot of standing water and slush around. This mild spell will probably just end in a damp fog with 2-4 C Wednesday and then back to colder weather later in the week. It will be a forecasting nightmare in New York City, I'm sure, with this low spinning around offshore bringing snow and sleet then a cold rain, fog, drizzle, nothing all that mild but the system fades out and some milder air around upstate NY gets pushed back east, eventually it all returns to a colder pattern for most of the northeast and Great Lakes but there's quite a messy period ahead.

Posted

Hi Roger,

Cheers for teh heads up. Typical that I am moving and the weather turns bad......sods law really as it means I will be running in and out of cars and houses in the rain.....hopefully it wn't be too prolonged......

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Snow just started here (3 pm local time, 23z) and we're expecting 5-10 cms through the weekend and possibly 10-15 cms on Monday into Tuesday from a second low.

Blizzard conditions will develop later and into Monday for Alberta and Saskatchewan as this low tracks south of us and east into Montana. May not be too bad around Canmore but further south and east, very nasty with -20 C and NNE winds increasing to 40-50 mph, 10-20 cms of snow. Probably a no-travel period for much of western Canada Monday and Tuesday.

Posted

This is the latest weather warning. They are usually quite good on this site. Heres hoping it comes off I would class myself as being in the SE area of New Brunswick. Fingers crossed

Issued by

Snowfall warning for: Saint John and County

Issued at 3:39 PM AST SUNDAY 27 JANUARY 2008

15 TO 20 CENTIMETRES EXCEPT NEAR 30 CENTIMETRES IN THE SOUTHEAST ARE PREDICTED. THIS IS A WARNING THAT SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM SOUTHWEST OF NOVA SCOTIA IS FORECAST TO TRACK SLOWLY NORTHEASTWARD TONIGHT AND MONDAY. A FRONTAL SYSTEM ASSOCIATED WITH THIS LOW IS FORECAST TO PUSH SNOW OVER MOST OF NEW BRUNSWICK OVERNIGHT AND MONDAY. THE SOUTHERN AND EASTERN REGIONS WILL GET THE BULK OF THE SNOW. STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS WILL DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHERN REGIONS GIVING BLOWING SNOW. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 15 TO 20 CENTIMETRES ARE PREDICTED FOR THE REGIONS MENTIONED ABOVE. HIGHER AMOUNTS NEAR 30 CENTIMETRES ARE LIKELY TO FALL OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN REGIONS. MONDAY NIGHT THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF BUT SOME ICE PELLETS WITH THE RISK OF FREEZING DRIZZLE ARE EXPECTED OVER THE GULF OF ST LAWRENCE COASTAL REGIONS.

TTFN

Debs

Edited by debs

Posted

Debs, I think that is about right but it will keep warming up when this is done and turn to rain by Monday night or Tuesday morning, so the earlier comments still apply about a sloppy mess, especially with this extra snowfall.

Posted

Hi there,

It looks pretty nice out there at present what a shame the rain will follow. Nice big snow flakes and that can only mean the temperatures are warming, so I guess the rain is inevitable :-( Ah well.

I was reading on here that UK might have some snow, that will be good for the snow lovers there. Hope it comes off for them, it'll be nice to see some of the pictures on here.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

I was in Nelson this weekend, we had close to 30cm's in places, unfortunately I drove back to Canmore yesterday, not advisable as conditions were horrendous in palces, especially from Radium right through, true blizzard

Today, minus 42oC windchill with air temps at 30oC, what mroe can I say

Posted

I was in Nelson this weekend, we had close to 30cm's in places, unfortunately I drove back to Canmore yesterday, not advisable as conditions were horrendous in palces, especially from Radium right through, true blizzard

Today, minus 42oC windchill with air temps at 30oC, what mroe can I say

I feel your pain! I'm several hundred miles south of you in Helena, Montana. When we took off from Minneapolis last night, the pilot reported temperatures of 40oF (4oC) in Helena. By the time we got off the plane at about midnight, the temperature was 19oF (-7oC) and falling. Looking at the observations for Helena, the temp was 40oF on the 2153 reading, and 22oF on the 2253 reading. Guess when the front passed!

Originally, it was forecast to drop to -9oC overnight and then keep falling during the day to -20oC at 6pm. However, the temperature fell much faster than expected and reached -11oF (-24oC) at 0953. Currently we have recovered to -9oF (-23oC) with a windchill of -33oC.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREAT FALLS MT

957 AM MST MON JAN 28 2008

.UPDATE...ARCTIC FRONT CONTINUES TO PUSH SOUTH THROUGH MONTANA

THIS MORNING. HAVE RECEIVED NUMEROUS REPORTS OF ROAD CLOSURES WITH

NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY...ESPECIALLY IN SOUTHWEST MONTANA. IN NORTH

CENTRAL MONTANA AREAS OF SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW CONTINUE BUT THE

MAIN PROBLEM IS WIDESPREAD WIND CHILLS OF 40 TO 50 DEGREES BELOW

ZERO. HAVE DECIDED TO SIMPLIFY THE PLETHORA OF ADVISORIES AND

WARNINGS AND HAVE BROAD-BRUSHED MY ENTIRE CWA WITH A WINTER STORM

WARNING THROUGH 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON WHEN MOST OF THE WIDESPREAD

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED SHOWERS. FOR THIS

EVENING A WIND CHILL WARNING WILL BE IN EFFECT FOR NORTH CENTRAL

MONTANA THROUGH MIDNIGHT WHEN WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO GENERALLY

SUBSIDE. HAVE UPDATED TEMPERATURE FORECAST FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT

TO REFLECT THE VERY COLD ARCTIC TEMPERATURES FALLING THROUGH THE

DAY AND OVERNIGHT. REMAINDER OF THE FORECAST HAS BEEN LEFT INTACT.

Posted

I noticed the 474 dm thickness contour on the 500-mb map last night at 00z (it was around Great Slave Lake). Now that's thin air !!

The low is currently near Grand Forks, ND moving rapidly east, the blizzard conditions should abate fairly quickly across Alberta and Montana tonight although more snow could move in from the Washington-Oregon region late Tuesday. We have managed to wring out about 2 cms here so far, although there have been local sea-effect streamers dropping 20 cms a few miles away (these coming in from Puget Sound on cold SE winds).

This low will bring a major snow-squall event to the lower Great Lakes Tuesday night and Wednesday, I'm expecting temps to rise to 7 C ahead of the front, and drop to -12 C behind it, with winds becoming WNW 40-55 mph, and 30-50 cms of snow possible in streamers off Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and eventually Lake Ontario.

Debs, if you're still on-line, the snow should eventually change to freezing drizzle and then a light rain, the models have changed somewhat on the track, so the warm air advection is very weak at the surface, and the oncoming Great Lakes low is going to absorb this weak remnant of the east coast low on Tuesday, so it will then warm up further on Wednesday into perhaps very early Thursday, before you get this blast of colder air from the west. So the heavy snow should partially melt and settle, giving a lot of roadway slush and a nasty mess that will freeze solid when the cold front comes through.

But that's typical February weather for New Brunswick, March is about the same. :D

Posted

I noticed the 474 dm thickness contour on the 500-mb map last night at 00z (it was around Great Slave Lake). Now that's thin air !!

The low is currently near Grand Forks, ND moving rapidly east, the blizzard conditions should abate fairly quickly across Alberta and Montana tonight although more snow could move in from the Washington-Oregon region late Tuesday. We have managed to wring out about 2 cms here so far, although there have been local sea-effect streamers dropping 20 cms a few miles away (these coming in from Puget Sound on cold SE winds).

It's easily the coldest air I've felt. Lows are forecast to touch -30oC overnight, so I don't think I'll be walking too far!

My skin has gone as dry as a bone and my hands look like they have dandruff; with a dewpoint of -26oC I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise. From experience, this is somewhere that does get hoar frost on occasions. Looking at the projected temperatures and dewpoints, we have a forecast air temperature of -23oC with a dewpoint of -24oC before the air temperature falls further (I'm guessing when the skies clear). Could be a bit of scraping tomorrow...

Posted

HI all.

I was watching the weather channel round my friends tonight and they mentioned that parts of Saskatchewan were having windchills temps of -51 degrees and then mentioned that frost bite would occur within 5 minutes. That was a hard thing to fathom. The lowest windchill I've felt here is -30 and that was unbearable.

We've had about a foot of snow in about 10 hours here in St Martins but since around 3pm its been ice pellets and freezing rain. I've never seen freezing rain before and a pretty wierd thing to see, just settling on your car and forming a sheild of ice...wow fascinating to see. The wind is picking up a little outside and more freezing rain is forecast as well as a mixture of snow with another 5 - 10cms. That make things interesting tomorrow.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

HI all.

I was watching the weather channel round my friends tonight and they mentioned that parts of Saskatchewan were having windchills temps of -51 degrees and then mentioned that frost bite would occur within 5 minutes. That was a hard thing to fathom. The lowest windchill I've felt here is -30 and that was unbearable.

We've had about a foot of snow in about 10 hours here in St Martins but since around 3pm its been ice pellets and freezing rain. I've never seen freezing rain before and a pretty wierd thing to see, just settling on your car and forming a sheild of ice...wow fascinating to see. The wind is picking up a little outside and more freezing rain is forecast as well as a mixture of snow with another 5 - 10cms. That make things interesting tomorrow.

TTFN

Debs

Freezing rain is the worst. On top of lying snow it forms a layer of concrete which can only be cleared by using what I can only describe as an extremely heavy hoe and shovelling. Back breaking work...

We're calm here in Helena at the moment with a temperature of -26oC. Just East however, they have wind-chill warnings in effect with the possibility of wind-chills of -50oF (-46oC). I wouldn't fancy that at all!

Incidentally, some interesting weather records set in the past day. Simpson, MT had a daily record highest minimum of 39oF on Sunday. Today, Harlem, MT (about 70 miles away) had a daily record low maximum of -13oF. This is the state which has the highest recorded twenty-four hour temperature change, so that's small fry!

Rapid City, SD, went from 54oF at 1252 MST to 19oF at 1452 with a North wind blowing at 41MPH, gusting to 52MPH. They currently sit at 4oF with a North wind of 28mph gusting to 39MPH. Data available here for KRAP. Got to love the acronym!

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

Speaking of bitterly cold, the 08z temperature at Uranium City, SK was -46 C (this is on Lake Athabasca in northwestern SK), and it's below -40 C at a number of other stations in northern SK, northern Alberta, and the NWT and Yukon, -47 C being the lowest there.

These are not quite all-time records but probably date records.

Also, it is snowing quite heavily here at present, could be 15-25 cms on the ground here by tomorrow night as a Pacific low slides down the coast and enters Washington state to our south. Looks lovely from inside. It's about -3 C with a 20 mph ENE wind, about as cold and snowy as it gets here.

Posted

HI all.

TTFN

Debs

There is a book about the ice storm in Quebec. Can't think what it was called but a friend of ours is a lineman in Ontario and went down there to help out. Good book if you can find it Debs. Never seen ice like it, amazing.

Posted

Hi Greyowl,

I might speak to the locals about the book. I'm sure they will know which one it is. I did see a programme on the Ice Storms back in UK, but actually seeing a milder form of it was pretty interesting.

I've just read Rogers post about the SNow Hurricane in Scotland......sounds nasty. Will watch the BBC on the net to see what happens. Is the UK set for something like this?????

TTFN

Debs

Posted

I wonder if Kold Weather has seen the observations for Winnipeg today?

Currently, -26oC with blowing snow, a wind of 35MPH from the NW and a windchill of -43oC. Low temperature of -31oC tonight...