Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Well, I am actually in England for the next week, so working the A/C is fairly easy for me. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

Looking at the forecast maps, a fairly strong cold front is developing for western Canada today (Friday) and could bring some severe storms to Calgary area and later on most of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Probably more hit and miss in BC but for that part of the world, it does look like an unusually high humidity alright, I know it felt quite oppressive on Wednesday when I left. Vancouver gets a nice sea breeze but still it was well into the 20s at YVR.

Anyway, keep an eye out there CC, you could be storm chasing later on.

I guess I'm either used to the New York heat or the humidity in Victoria is somewhat lower. Either way, the weather is perfect here right now and it hardly feels humid at all. I guess CC is on the East of the Rockies so would suspect that they are prone to somewhat higher humidity levels. Definitely a very nice breeze yesterday which helped a lot; generally about 28oC is my upper threshold for comfort.

Posted

Humidity here on the east of the Rockies is generally low most of time as the prevailing winds are from the west and we are away from the water, so when it gets humid like the last few days, its defiantely a shock to the system

I will keep an eye out for those storms. Even today the clouds are bubbling nicely...we will see. Today is cooler with a nice breeze

Posted

Storms rolled through last night, not much activity but the cold front has made the weather crap now, thats my scientific analysis of the weather over the past 24 hours

Posted

The heat continues through much of the western part of north america from southern USA right through to west canada. Temps here aroubnd 32oC/90oF, with some parts of BC reaching the 40's

Unfortunately forest fires are abundant as a result both in the states and Canada, with dry thunder storms in USA and camp fires etc being poorly managed in Canada

Looks like a break down is on its way as the jet stream kicks in with a wave being pulled down over western canada and allowing some low pressure to penetrate the western coast by end of the weekend

Posted

Sunday saw some big storms passing through alberta from west to east. I saw them form here at about 7pm and by 9pm there were tornado watches and severe thunderstorm warnings in the city of Calgary. Hail reported to be the size of cricket balls (have seen the pictures on TV and they are truly spectacular)

The same risk again today from midday onwards, so looking interesting for the late afternoon/evening again in this part of the world.

Today could be the 8th day straight of 30oC plus temps , with days touching 35oC.

I am off to Scotland in 2 days, will enjoy the break from the relentlessnes of it lol

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Hey all..

I dont post in this thread much however at 240 hours out, model outputs indicate that the Polar Vortex may begin to form over Canada/Greenland, so i was wondering what the normal date for the pressige to Autumn is, and assuming this occured, how this summer would compare in regards to the beggining of Autumn weather..

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rnz500m10.gif

Posted

Hey all..

I dont post in this thread much however at 240 hours out, model outputs indicate that the Polar Vortex may begin to form over Canada/Greenland, so i was wondering what the normal date for the pressige to Autumn is, and assuming this occured, how this summer would compare in regards to the beggining of Autumn weather..

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rnz500m10.gif

Depends where you are! Up in the North of Canada, then probably September. Further south, towards Toronto, it can be quite late given the continental nature of the climate. Autumn tends to be pretty short across many areas as summer heat can linger for quite some time, and winter can arrive quite quickly. Last December in Chicago we had temperatures of 21oC on one day, and two days later there was 6 inches of snow on the ground with the temperature remaining below freezing for a week.

As for now, I witnessed a real mother of a thunderstorm in Chicago tonight. I was flying from Chicago to New York with the plane due to leave at 7pm. The incoming flight was delayed so we were held back until 7.30. At this time there were a few lightning flashes starting to appear (the incoming flight had been delayed by earlier lightning). Anyway, the lightning started becoming more frequent and closer, and at about 8 pm they withdrew the ground crews, which in airport terms means that all traffic is effectively stopped: no ramp operatives, no baggage handlers, nobody to guide the planes in. We sat on the plane for about an hour by which time it became apparent that we were actually in a severe storm; the winds were strong enough to rock the plane and the rain was torrential and extremely squally. As for the light show, it was the most impressive I've seen since a severe storm last year also in Chicago. I swear that I saw the tower take at least two strikes!

Anyway, for about two hours all ground operations were suspended. The rule they use is that no lightning strikes can be recorded for half an hour in the airport perimeter before ground crews can commence work. It was 11.30pm by the time we took off, with a fairly impressive display of lightning still occurring. Right now there are still many severe storm wathces out across the MidWest. Certainly an eventful journey!

post-1957-1184830898_thumb.jpg

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

The weather appears to be following me. Back in New York a Severe Storm Watch has just been issued valid until 10pm EDT:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS EXTENDED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 543 TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING AREAS UNTIL 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING

IN NEW YORK THIS WATCH INCLUDES 4 COUNTIES

IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK

BRONX KINGS (BROOKLYN) NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) QUEENS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

Hi, Not normally in this part of the forum, but looking for some advice...

Can anyone let me know what the weather will be like in Las Vegas from the 4th - 8th August, I am going out there for my borthers Wedding.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Posted

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_galler...77065-1,00.html

New York suffering flooding from heavy rain.

Hopefully it will clear soon as i'm driving from New York to Toronto i a couple of weeks.

Not really! We had a powerful thunderstorm last Wednesday which led to some flash flooding, which is what the picture shows. We also had over two inches on Monday. This is not unusual for New York at this time of year, and is the only rain we've really had this summer of any note other than passing storms which generally amount to about half an inch if they pass overhead. This year has been dry compared to last summer.

I've driven from New York to Toronto a few of times, and have hit some extremely heavy rain twice. One time we had to detour from Binghamton to Albany as the I81 was closed southbound (as well as the 17 East). Another time we came back via the Thousand Islands and Syracuse; again heavy rain the whole way until about 50 miles north of NYC. The weather upstate deteriorates much more rapidly up there than down here. They are much more prone to severe storms in summer and heavy snow in winter. The last time I was up there we drove through several bands of lake-effect snow.

If you haven't driven it before, take the I87 to the 17 West towards Binghamton, and then up towards Rochester. If you have a GPS it will take you off the I360 and up the 63 to meet the I90 just outside Batavia. It's a beautiful drive, but I've yet to make the whole journey in daylight. Allowing for stops it takes over 8 hours. Enjoy!

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

Las Vegas August 4-8, you can pretty much rely on the idea that it will be very hot, it almost always is at this time of year. Highs can range from 35 C to 45 C all of which will feel uncomfortably hot to a visitor from the UK (or here for that matter).

Although most days start out sunny and some remain sunny right through to sunset, there is always the slight risk of a brief thunderstorm there too, mainly in the late afternoon or evening, but these probably happen more frequently in other parts of the region than right over Las Vegas which is nowhere near any really higher hills or mountains to force any uplift.

You'll find it does not cool off at night very much, it will still be 30 C at midnight and 25 C in the early morning hours, on most occasions. Of course, almost everywhere you go inside, there is A/C so you won't always be sweltering.

Let's say this -- make sure you are staying somewhere with a swimming pool because it's a long way to any kind of lake for a cooling swim.

Posted

Not really! We had a powerful thunderstorm last Wednesday which led to some flash flooding, which is what the picture shows. We also had over two inches on Monday. This is not unusual for New York at this time of year, and is the only rain we've really had this summer of any note other than passing storms which generally amount to about half an inch if they pass overhead. This year has been dry compared to last summer.

I've driven from New York to Toronto a few of times, and have hit some extremely heavy rain twice. One time we had to detour from Binghamton to Albany as the I81 was closed southbound (as well as the 17 East). Another time we came back via the Thousand Islands and Syracuse; again heavy rain the whole way until about 50 miles north of NYC. The weather upstate deteriorates much more rapidly up there than down here. They are much more prone to severe storms in summer and heavy snow in winter. The last time I was up there we drove through several bands of lake-effect snow.

If you haven't driven it before, take the I87 to the 17 West towards Binghamton, and then up towards Rochester. If you have a GPS it will take you off the I360 and up the 63 to meet the I90 just outside Batavia. It's a beautiful drive, but I've yet to make the whole journey in daylight. Allowing for stops it takes over 8 hours. Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. This is the first time i've driven this route. I planned to stop off at Niagra Falls and then on to Toronto. From Toronto to Montreaux and then back to New York.

Sorry this is off topic but i want to hire a car that has a decent boot so i can get a couple of big suitcases in but on the hire company websites they are only really tell you the name or model.

Any suggestions ?

Thx

Bofh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

Las Vegas August 4-8,.......

...........Let's say this -- make sure you are staying somewhere with a swimming pool because it's a long way to any kind of lake for a cooling swim.

Thanks for your responce Roger, luckly there will be a swimming pool on hand!

Will report back on my return as to how the weather turned out.... Not that i will be spending much time outdoors!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Theresnoway

Posted

Thanks for the advice. This is the first time i've driven this route. I planned to stop off at Niagra Falls and then on to Toronto. From Toronto to Montreaux and then back to New York.

Sorry this is off topic but i want to hire a car that has a decent boot so i can get a couple of big suitcases in but on the hire company websites they are only really tell you the name or model.

Any suggestions ?

Thx

Bofh

Try for a Chevy Impala, great car with lots of boot space

Posted

The first snow of the season has appeared on the tops of the mountains in town today. After a day of temps hovering at 9oC in Canmore and lots of rain, the clouds finally cleared and the snow is clearly evident. I shall posts some pics shortly

Based on temps at ground level of 4500 ft being 9oC, it must have been around minus 1oC on the tops of the mountains

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Looks like parts of Northern US are in for a bumpy ride today.Moderate risk of severe weather issued.

0728 AM CDT MON AUG 13 2007

...WIDESPREAD SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE

UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE

DEVELOPMENT OF WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS ALONG WITH LARGE HAIL AND

THREAT OF ISOLATED TORNADOES OVER PARTS OF THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

NORTHEAST IOWA

CENTRAL INTO SOUTHEASTERN MINNESOTA

WESTERN WISCONSIN

SURROUNDING THE MODERATE RISK AREA...THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM FAR EASTERN NORTH DAKOTA INTO THE WESTERN

GREAT LAKES

A FAST MOVING IMPULSE ALOFT WILL FOCUS AN OUTBREAK OF SEVERE

THUNDERSTORMS...LIKELY IN THE FORM OF WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS...

ACROSS THIS REGION LATE TODAY AND TONIGHT. PARAMETERS WILL BECOME

QUITE FAVORABLE FOR LONG-LIVED AND INTENSE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS BY

THE EARLY EVENING AS WARM AND VERY HUMID AIR RETURNS TO THE UPPER

MISSISSIPI VALLEY. STORMS WILL LIKELY FORM AS SUPERCELLS OVER FAR

NORTHWESTERN MINNESOTA LATE THIS AFTERNOON...AND BECOME MORE

NUMEROUS INTO THE UPPER MISSISSIPI RIVER VALLEY DURING THE EVENING.

STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO EVOLVE INTO A BOW ECHO SQUALL LINE EARLY THIS

EVENING WITH INCREASED RISK OF DAMAGING WINDS AS IT RACES

SOUTH-SOUTHEASTWARDS. LARGE HAIL AND POSSIBLY TORNADOES ARE

ADDITIONAL HAZARDS ACROSS THIS REGION.

THOSE IN THE THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER

SAFETY RULES AND TO LISTEN TO RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER

RADIO FOR POSSIBLE WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Hey mate,

Sounds like you are really getting dumped on.

I see floods in mid-west are causing lots of grief.

Get the bailing buckets out and good luck.

Andy

Posted

Some interesting stats from here in NYC.

Today (August 21st) tied the coldest maximum August temperature on record which was set in 1911. We only hit 59oF (15oC) today which is more like the end of October! The average here at this time of year is 82oF (28oC). It also rained heavily today which leads on to the second interesting stat: This summer to date is already the fourth wettest on record and is currently 1.76 inches short of the all time record. Ten days remain for this one to be broken; if we get a few days of thunderstorms the record could easily fall...

The last few days have all been below average here; we haven't hit 80oF since Friday last week which is a long run for this time of year. All change by Saturday though as we hit 90oF!

Hey mate,

Sounds like you are really getting dumped on.

I see floods in mid-west are causing lots of grief.

Get the bailing buckets out and good luck.

Andy

Yeah we sure are...luckily we don't live near a river. Many rivers are approaching record levels and with more rain expected major flooding is expected. Another 1.83in fell yesterday through this morning. Now up to 13 inches (325mm) exactly for the month. Severe storms with damaging winds and heavy rain expected later today!!! Edited by acrossthepond

Posted

Fresh snow up at whistler on their peak cam, I am not expert but seems quite early for snow even at that altitude. With northern norway seeing signs of cooling down and now canada could this be a sign of things to come!! I hope so.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/c...stler/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Looking back on August, records were broken across the South East. Not really surprising considering the run of 100oF + days many places had:

post-1957-1189182801_thumb.png

Nine states recorded their warmest August on record, mostly in the SE, but also in Utah.

Posted

Also looking like the drought is getting pretty severe in the inland parts of SE states, some parts are on the highest drought alert level now I believe.

Meanwhile parts of the plains which have had plenty of rain from the remians of Erin (which by the way amazingly reformed again overland---will be upgraded to Tropical storm stauts at the end of the seaosn in OK!!) gave huge amounts of rainfall.