Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave then snow: September 1919

Weather-history

Posted

September 1919 was an unusual month as it went from late summer heatwave to early winter snow in a space of few days.

A hot southerly flow allowed temperatures to climb as high as 32.2C at Raunds on the 11th.

Rslp19190911.gif

However by the 12th, the flow came in from the North Sea and maxima across the SE plunged to the teens.

The real dramatic change came on the 18th, when a low tracked to the north of Scotland, deepened as it moved into the North Seaand a vigorous cold front plunged southwards with a notably cold northerly flow. This flow brought snowfalls, lying snow and frosts with lying snow reported as far south as northern England on low ground. This is one of the earliest dates of lying snow across low ground in the UK and the earlest date for low level snow in the 20th Century. The daily CET mean for the 20th was just 6.8C

Rslp19190920.gif

Posted
post-2137-1157917579.gifInteresting contrast there Mr Data. The earliest snow that I have witnessed in Aberdeen was on the 3rd of October 1994 - there was blizzard conditions throughout the day but no lying snow in the city centre. I could be wrong but I think the max temperature that day was just 7° in Aberdeen. Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

and i was merely asking whether you thought that maybe its just interesting to find out about, and that no suggestion of it being repeated was was made. Dont think anyone here is suggesting that, just to clear it up. And whoever said you suggested to stop discussing it mate? Not seen you around, so welcome to net-weather :angry: maybe we could hope for something like this to be repeated, but unfortunately I dotn think it will be.

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

no wasn;t implying that at all mate..yeah i would love it to happen too...its not an outcome in the forecast models at the mo tho..we can pray..lol

Posted
fnx 4 welcoming me i thought your were implying that lets just leave it now lol i love it to happen

hiya lesta.. welcome to the forum.. :angry:

do everyone a favour though.. dont use text talk.. its not always easy to read.. you're not limited to how many letters you can type mate.. ;)

as for winter.. just keep watching.. last couple of years have been pointing at something.. so you never know.. that white stuff could just be on the cards..

Posted
September 1919 was an unusual month as it went from late summer heatwave to early winter snow in a space of few days.

This flow brought snowfalls, lying snow and frosts with lying snow reported as far south as northern England on low ground. This is one of the earliest dates of lying snow across low ground in the UK and the earlest date for low level snow in the 20th Century. The daily CET mean for the 20th was just 6.8C

Is that the earliest that there`s been snow in the 20th century in this country?

I`ve seen snow in october.

S9.

Posted
post-2137-1157917579.gifInteresting contrast there Mr Data. The earliest snow that I have witnessed in Aberdeen was on the 3rd of October 1994 - there was blizzard conditions throughout the day but no lying snow in the city centre. I could be wrong but I think the max temperature that day was just 7° in Aberdeen.

I remember the year after that...winter of 95/96, im sure we had snow the first night of October! Do you have a chart for begining of October 95 and begining of October 96?

Posted
I remember the year after that...winter of 95/96, im sure we had snow the first night of October! Do you have a chart for begining of October 95 and begining of October 96?

1st October 1995

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119951001.gif

1st October 1996

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119961001.gif

Posted

Very unlikely it was October 1995- that was a very warm month

Rrea00119951001.gif

October 1996 I recall as a fairly unremarkeable month, this chart doesn't look promising (0C 850hpa line just touching N Scotland) but you never know

Rrea00119961002.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

Hi yeahbabyyeah, I think this is the chart you are looking for-1st oct 1995 looks like a S/W flow to me so no snow from that.

Here is the link for you and others to find historical charts.- http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/dathistcharts.asp

Posted

Paul Simons mentions in the Times Weather Eye about that exceptional heatwave of mid Sept 1926

32.2C on the 19th of Sept 1926, the record for that date

Rslp19260919.gif

Then just over a month later this with even Hampstead Heath recording a couple of inches of lying snow, -10.6C at Braemar on the 27th of October

Rslp19261028.gif

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
post-2137-1157917579.gifInteresting contrast there Mr Data. The earliest snow that I have witnessed in Aberdeen was on the 3rd of October 1994 - there was blizzard conditions throughout the day but no lying snow in the city centre. I could be wrong but I think the max temperature that day was just 7° in Aberdeen.

Max temp I have for that day is just 5c :whistling:

I havn`t written anything else down so it could well of been sunny.

At low levels, yes :)

Cheers for that :) I wonder what the earliest date is for on snow hills.

S9.

Edit:Thanks TWS this is definately one archive to savour :)

There was snow on hills in scotland that september,it got down to -3 in the midlands/east anglia.

It was the coldest september of the century at just 10.7cet.

Mr data will verify if it snowed that day.

:)

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Can't think of any snow events in early October other than 3rd October 1994. On the 3rd October 1994, the temperature at Durham only reached 8.0C- a remarkable low reading for the time of year, and very much in line with the suggestion of 7C max at Aberdeen.

There were no cold snaps in early October 1995 or 1996, though I remember a transitionary NW'ly around 3-5 October 1996. It wasn't cold enough for snow except over the Scottish Highlands though.

I imagine, through scrutiny of synoptic archives, that September 1952 must have had some lowland snow on occasion in the north (-5C at 850hPa coming a long way south) but nothing widespread. The 6th-9th and 18th-20th look most likely.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

The most remarkable thing about this thread is the sharp turnaround from a heatwave to snow in just 9 days. Is this still achievable these days or are we really in a trend where such dramatic changes are out of the question?

• 1 year later...
Posted

A report from J.R Gethin Jones of Bryn Awel, Llandudno

"The snowfall of September on the Snowdonian range extended down to 1200ft O.D. to the depth of 6 inches. Above 2500 ft, the snow drifted and remained unmelted in a few places for a week being only some 10 weeks after the disappearance of last week's drifts. This snowfall extended to a lower elevation than any known to me for the month of September."

From T.W. Blackouse of West Hendon House, Sunderland.

"On the morning of September 20th, we had a fall of snow, almost a covering. The earliest I have hitherto recorded snow at Sunderland, since 1857, inclusive, was October 4th, which was in 1867.

From the copy of the Times of 22nd September 1919 that I have of

Sep1919a.jpg

Sep1919b.jpg

Sep1919c.jpg

Sep1919d.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I read some where the earliest snow recorded in london was 25th September. any truth to that ?

Posted

Just shows it can happen. Several references are occasionally made between the famous frosts of September 1919 being comparable to the September frosts of 2003.

I remember there beign snow in April and May sometime ago, but not as late as as September or even October. One of those strangs things would be the hail shower during August 1997 which atleast made it feel wintry under the hot conditions.