Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Gales

Bilz

Posted

Apologies if anyone has already posted something along these lines, but with the recent unseasonaby windy weather, I thought it would be interesting to discuss memorable summer depressions.

I thought I'd give 2004 a mention. Unusally, there were two notable areas of low pressure that brought gales to the south and west during that washout summer, and occurred within two weeks of eachother. The first of these was on 23rd June:

post-4191-1157299828_thumb.png

and the next struck on 7th July:

post-4191-1157299859_thumb.png

(GFS shows low pressure system the next day)

I remember 7th July was particularly nasty in Oxford. With that low centre positioned over Kent, a fierce notheasterly gale began during the morning, stripping leaves from trees and even uprooting a few. Very unusual, especially as we are so far inland. Parks were forced to close in the afternoon as gusts touched 40 or 50mph over the region. Maximum gusts for the event were around 60mph I believe.

Anyone remember any other notable summer storms?

Edited by Bilz

Posted

That 1st chart you put up only produced m/fresh wind here and 0.5" of rain.

The 2nd one was certainly much more memorable which produced strong s.e/n.e winds touching gale force for a short time.

It uprooted our neighbours tree and there was lots of twigs off trees and we had 1" of rain,that low developed very quickly to the south of us on an unusual track.

And it also produced one of the coldest july days on record around this area just had a max of 8c here :D coldest july day I`ve ever recorded.

As far as other summer storms I can`t remember any more but there`s the august 1986 which you`ve might of seen which is in the history weather thread.

:)

S9.