Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Countryfile / Country Tracks / Landward Forecast Thread

J10

Posted

Peter Gibbs gave one of the most entertaining - and honest - Countryfile forecasts i've ever seen today. Absolutely brilliant the way he dealt with the low after low after low in his forecast. Nice that he finished off for Friday by saying "that should be the last one for a while". And "you get the idea by now" when refering to the constant succession of Low pressure systems tracking in from the Atlantic. Hope he is right with regards the latter part of the week and next weekend.

Gibbo is a legend. I'll buy him a pint.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
Well done mate,class for those who missed it. Maybe you could make this a weekly feature.

not sure if that would infringe copyright. may need to confirm with the moderators if it can be played to an audience.

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The moderators have been discussing the copyright issue; one of them has contacted the BBC to see if it's okay and should hopefully get a response from them soon.

I don't think the Met can do much about it; it's the BBC that would benefit most from seeing positive feedback; whether it would get listened to is another matter. Although this is a forum of weather enthusiasts, there's plenty of non-enthusiasts who would probably also see the regular use of the graphics like that as an improvement.

Posted
Be good if the good old Met was aware of the feedback....Hmmmm......John?

I no longer bang that drum either with ex colleagues in the Office or the BBC. The Office feel just like you and me and seem powerless to exert any influence on the BBC.

So sorry unable to help.

Do what I have suggested several times, ALL OF YOU, write to your MP and complain at regular intervals, and get all your family and friends, work mates, colleagues etc to do the same. persuade other web sites if you use them to do likewise.

Only then is the BBC likely to get the message and possibly do something and lengthen the two main forecast slots after the 1 and 6pm news.

It can be done the row that erupted when the graphics first came out caused both the Met O and the BBC to actually do something.

end of rant.

John

Posted
The moderators have been discussing the copyright issue; one of them has contacted the BBC to see if it's okay and should hopefully get a response from them soon.

I don't think the Met can do much about it; it's the BBC that would benefit most from seeing positive feedback; whether it would get listened to is another matter. Although this is a forum of weather enthusiasts, there's plenty of non-enthusiasts who would probably also see the regular use of the graphics like that as an improvement.

Thanks for the reply TWS. i only broached the copyright issue as a matter of curiosity. i like many others would be very pleased if the BBC allowed NW to show a web version of the countryfile forecast. and it would be another feather in the cap for the site.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've just watched the Countryfile forecast, having recorded it, and have to agree that Peter Gibbs is up there with the very best for his easy style of presentation; the equal of legends such as Michael Fish, Bill Giles, Bert Foord etc.

His meteorological background and knowledge shines through the forecast and he has none of the (minor) irritating quirks of some of his colleagues.

All the forecasters/presenters on BBC1 are good but P.G is about the best.

A very wide gulf still exists between the above mentioned and the weather presenters on regional t.v, at least in this area.

T.M

Posted

Just a quick post to say that I've been in touch with the BBC regarding copyright issues...not to be a killjoy (and if you believe that...) but because it could impact on the forum itself. They phoned me back this evening (!) and basically we can only link to information, we cannot post images off their website, or captured TV footage, no matter how it was captured, without infringing their copyright, and they do look out for things like this.

Sorry, but we need to bear this in mind.

Posted

Good forecast again. Alot of uncertainty about thursday low pressure. Could well have very damaging winds , but its track isnt 100% yet. In to the weekend Some colder weather??? Maybe.

Posted
Good forecast again. Alot of uncertainty about thursday low pressure. Could well have very damaging winds , but its track isnt 100% yet. In to the weekend Some colder weather??? Maybe.

Agreed I`ve missed quite a few lately, she said that today is colder but still above average temps and showed the pressure charts for everyday which is how the Farming forecast use to be.

Snow was showing for the north of england/Pennines around midweek as the system tracks north with temps of 5c.

A very wet 2nd half of the week with Thursday that`ll be the day to watch alright.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Good Forecast Today. Like the way it was stated that today is nothing special just a normal day for Jan. Colder air working South Today and Tonight with the Winds swinging more North then North East. Poss of Snow in rush in London and the SE tomorrow morning. Snow around Tuesday before the Winds swing back to the NW feeling Chilly despite normal temps. A strong hint of another northly blast at the end of the week into the weekend. GFS doesn't back this by the way so we'll have to wait and see.

Posted

Mild and dry for the SE all week, was looking back at last weeks forecast report by The Pit and am pleasantly suprised as to how accurate it was. why is the countryfile forecast more accurate looking compared to a normal after the news forecast?

Posted

Easy forecast for him. Mild Breezy in Scotland at times end of story.

Posted
Easy forecast for him.

Maybe, but IMO he (Tom Schafernacker (sp?) ) is a very good young forecaster. He spent some time on BBC Points West last year and is the best stand-in for the regular forecaster for a long time.

Posted
Maybe, but IMO he (Tom Schafernacker (sp?) ) is a very good young forecaster. He spent some time on BBC Points West last year and is the best stand-in for the regular forecaster for a long time.

I think was suffering from a lack of things to say. He's a good forecaster though I like him. perhaps nex week if eh's on will give him something to think about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Mild and dry for the SE all week, was looking back at last weeks forecast report by The Pit and am pleasantly suprised as to how accurate it was. why is the countryfile forecast more accurate looking compared to a normal after the news forecast?

I reckon that the perceived 'accuracy' of a forecast is partly dependent on how it is presented.

The weekly forecasts tend to be devoid of information going beyond the "will it be wet or dry, warm or cold, sunny or cloudy" due to time constraints and the idea of avoiding confusing people with no interest in, or knowledge of, the weather (or, as we may call it, dumbing down).

Presenting the bare minimum of information leads to less confusion but I reckon that it can also sacrifice the perceived forecast accuracy. For example, it is harder for people to interpret the information to come up with an idea of what their local area will be like. It is also easier to miss out important information, e.g. people might want to know if it's going to be windy, and a forecast might not mention that due to the above factors.

Presenting the bare minimum of information, together with presenting opinion on weather type preferences, can sometimes lead to misleading forecasts. I posted a while ago about how for 10 July 2002, the Met Office predicted sunshine and showers, and were correct- but the forecasts generally said "the poor summer weather will continue; the rain will get heavier and more showery with the risk of thunder", misleading many people into thinking it was going to be dull and wet.

The Countryfile forecasts seem aimed at people with at least some knowledge of the weather, and have a decent time slot allocated to them. I tend to find less use of subjective opinion in them also. People get more of a general overview, rather than just the bare minimum of information; thus people can interpret what is shown with respect to the climate of their local areas.

Posted

as I posted yesterday I suspect Net Wx will 'empty' around the time its due!