Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Premiership Discussion 06/07

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Bad result for us West Ham winning needed them to lose to heap the preasure on them.

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

Bad result for us West Ham winning needed them to lose to heap the preasure on them.

no!..good result for us...if we can beat man u and arsenal..proves we got the ability to pull away from the bottom three...hopefully will give the boys some belief again..come on u irons!
    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted

No keeper for much of the 2nd half. Fantastic performance by the Blades. I suggest that some of the I have a problem forwards try to stay on the feet more they may have scored. At least the ref wasn't conned.

Posted

I really enjoyed watching that match, Sheffield Utd thoroughly deserved their victory, it showed that Arsenal's style isn't suited to playing against teams who play at a high tempo with an aggressive but fair attitude.

Always thought it was a risk them not having a sub keeper, however Jagielka did very well when called upon. Although they must miss him in midfield as he's a good player all round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Of the promoted sides, it looks very ominous for Watford (I think they're certain to go down), but both Reading and Sheff Utd have been far better than I expected, and stand a good chance of staying up.

I have doubts that West Ham will stay in the relegation zone for long. Charlton, though, despite their 2-1 win, look likely to go down IMO. Middlesbrough are another side that need to be very careful; I previously though Newcastle also, but their form has improved, the 3-0 loss to Everton notwithstanding.

As for Arsenal, they need to improve their finishing. At their best they can play as well as they did in their runaway 2004 victory, but at the moment, they are too prone to the occasional off game, and when they get up front, they often fail to take their chances. For the first time since Jose took over at Chelsea, it's looking quite dodgy with regards Chelsea winning the title, though I still expect them to just snatch it off Man Utd.

Posted

I really enjoyed watching that match, Sheffield Utd thoroughly deserved their victory, it showed that Arsenal's style isn't suited to playing against teams who play at a high tempo with an aggressive but fair attitude.

I agree with you Andy, in that Sheffield United deserved their victory, but Arsenal were abysmal and I definitely didn't enjoy watching the game! I've not seen them play as badly in a long time. And they'd better get their act together against Charlton, cos I'm off to the Emirates for the first time ever in a few hours and want to see a good game and an Arsenal win!

Posted

Tom I wished I was joining u (in the away end of course), what idiot changed the date, how are we expected to turn up on a work night. Good luck tonight and lets hope that we can come away with a result like a few years ago, a Charlton 4-2 win not bad considering we only had 3 shots on target.

Regards

Kerry

Posted

The Sheffield Utd game summed up all that is wrong with Arsenal and has been for a few years- there's no Plan B. Their fancy passing with at least 8 players having to touch the ball before somebody went for goal may have beaten Man Utd and Liverpool but on a muddy evening in Sheffield it made them look like idiots. What I just couldn't bear was that even with an outfield player in goal, they still didn't even try shooting from more than 10 yards unless it was a free kick- the guy was hardly tested in all the time he was on the pitch.

The 4-2 home defeat against Charlton was the turning point of the 2001-2 season as I recall, they'd up to then been doing exactly as they are now playing fancy stuff wih no end product and often losing to the lower-placed sides; afterwards I recall Wenger tightening up the defence, dropping the expensive flop Richard Wright in goal and Henry becoming the top-class striker he has been since (before, he wasted too many chances for all his skills).

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted

The Sheffield Utd game summed up all that is wrong with Arsenal and has been for a few years- there's no Plan B. Their fancy passing with at least 8 players having to touch the ball before somebody went for goal may have beaten Man Utd and Liverpool but on a muddy evening in Sheffield it made them look like idiots. What I just couldn't bear was that even with an outfield player in goal, they still didn't even try shooting from more than 10 yards unless it was a free kick- the guy was hardly tested in all the time he was on the pitch.

The 4-2 home defeat against Charlton was the turning point of the 2001-2 season as I recall, they'd up to then been doing exactly as they are now playing fancy stuff wih no end product and often losing to the lower-placed sides; afterwards I recall Wenger tightening up the defence, dropping the expensive flop Richard Wright in goal and Henry becoming the top-class striker he has been since (before, he wasted too many chances for all his skills).

lol, but where is that Glenn W these days?? that was rather embarrasing for his team on Sunday!! :cold:

up the gunners!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Aye- it's not like Man Utd to concede late goals (indeed it rather mirrors their astonishing 2-1 victory over Bayern Munich with two goals in extra time). That said, I recall that it was more down to outstanding goals by Arsenal rather than bad lapses by Man Utd.

It looks like being a straight fight between Man Utd and Chelsea with Man Utd in quite a commanding position at the moment.

I've been quite impressed with Portsmouth this season- they'll probably be pleased they re-signed Harry Redknapp by now- though I don't know what happened to Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa, a side which impressed me even more initially, but then slumped.

An encouraging recent set of results for North-Easterners recently, with Newcastle and Middlesbrough both elevating themselves well above relegation, and Sunderland improving in the Championship. Around Christmas I really thought that Newcastle were going to sack Roeder and bring someone like Souness back in, and get relegated at the end of the season, but none of those look likely now.

Posted

Aye- it's not like Man Utd to concede late goals (indeed it rather mirrors their astonishing 2-1 victory over Bayern Munich with two goals in extra time). That said, I recall that it was more down to outstanding goals by Arsenal rather than bad lapses by Man Utd.

It looks like being a straight fight between Man Utd and Chelsea with Man Utd in quite a commanding position at the moment.

I've been quite impressed with Portsmouth this season- they'll probably be pleased they re-signed Harry Redknapp by now- though I don't know what happened to Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa, a side which impressed me even more initially, but then slumped.

An encouraging recent set of results for North-Easterners recently, with Newcastle and Middlesbrough both elevating themselves well above relegation, and Sunderland improving in the Championship. Around Christmas I really thought that Newcastle were going to sack Roeder and bring someone like Souness back in, and get relegated at the end of the season, but none of those look likely now.

Yes, arent we fantastic at football round here? lol

Posted

I had a look at the predictions thread earlier and knew we had a much better chance than people were giving us. That is two wins away to West Ham now in a short period. :D

(PS - Like the extra new emotions on here :D )

Posted

Well done Blades today. After gifting Spurs a goal and Spurs missing another gift we woke up and finally deserved the win.

Both defenses looked dodgy and Spurs were lucky to end up with 11 on the pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted

I can,t understand how a teams preformance can change over just a few weeks, after the rubbish being served up by Charlton i.e. Sheffield United away, Nottingham Forest and Wycombe in the cup etc. How can changing the manager make such a difference?

I think that we now have an outside chance of staying up, our next 4 games being winnable, however I am concerned that this year 40 points may not be enough and thats still 17 points away for the addicks.

Regards

Kerry

Posted

Kerry, confidence plays a major part in how a team performs.

Look at Spurs, no wins since Boxing Day (excepting scrappy cup games) until the FA Cup match at Fulham ; next 3 results = 4-1, 2-1, 4-1 !

Posted

Come on liverpool give man u a good hammering tomorrow and keep the premiership wide open until the very last weekend.

Posted

not too many games left now and i can't see man united losing more than 1 game ( chelsea away ) so i think its fair to say its man uniteds title this year.

Hopefully there will be a few more twists yet though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

MAN U ARE LUCKY B******* DAYLIGHT ROBBERY.

A carefully worked and executed plan...........with a tad of good fortune at the end!!! I was sure Man U. were playing for the draw and I thought they may had blown it when Scholesy went off (and they crippled Rooney) but what the hey? how many super subs can one team posses?

Lady P. , YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANYMORE!! , YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANYMORE.

Edited by Gray-Wolf
    Posted

I expect Kold Weather is drowning his sorrows (metaphorically speaking of course, not suggesting you drink Darren, lol).