Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Premiership Discussion 06/07

Posted

Two managers have entered the Prem who are well worth listening to ; Neil Warnock and Martin O'Neill should make MOTD better viewing.

But anyway onto the opening day, some awful decisions already by officials. A penalty given when it the ball a Watford guys head, while a similar incident with the ball hitting a hand isn't given against Everton - all in the same match. Gerrard was never fouled against Sheffield Utd. Viduka was never offside against Reading, but hey what a comeback by Reading.

Pompey top of the league http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif .

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 245
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two managers have entered the Prem who are well worth listening to ; Neil Warnock and Martin O'Neill should make MOTD better viewing.

But anyway onto the opening day, some awful decisions already by officials. A penalty given when it the ball a Watford guys head, while a similar incident with the ball hitting a hand isn't given against Everton - all in the same match. Gerrard was never fouled against Sheffield Utd. Viduka was never offside against Reading, but hey what a comeback by Reading.

Pompey top of the league http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif .

Indeed a great start by Reading, and unlucky for Sheffield United.

Posted

Very happy hammer this morning, I was working yesterday so I couldn't go but saw it on Sky sports last night and we looked very crisp at times and played some great footbal, with lee Bowyer in great form, if he keeps it up then he'll become a vital player for us.

Posted

Very happy hammer this morning, I was working yesterday so I couldn't go but saw it on Sky sports last night and we looked very crisp at times and played some great footbal, with lee Bowyer in great form, if he keeps it up then he'll become a vital player for us.

geordie here,totally agree about bowyer,he looked very sharp and worked his socks off.its a shame he never really settled up here cause he's a very good player.good luck for the rest of the season http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif just not against us :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Newcastle's looking close to signing Martins for £10m which seems a good deal.

The age thing has confused me no end but it's been confirmed that he's only 21 and not 28 so a great prospect for the future too.

I hear Portsmouth are also in the race for him though, they'd better no steel him, had enough of that with Liverpool getting Kuyt. Anyway I think Martins will be much better than Kuyt.

If this goes through I will be very please, no more will we miss Bellamy's pace http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Back to the title for a mo: I dont know why Neil Warnock has such a reputation for questioning the ratio of decisions given for and against when it comes to referees and linesman running the game??? (I wont mention Stephen Gerrards continental acting on the opening day premier fixtures or how a foul from behind on David Sommeil for Utd at Spurs last night was laughed at in the usual "Your a northern club so go away - you dont get anything in London" fashion),

I saw a throw-in given for the blades last night during the second half!!! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush.gif

Posted

(I wont mention Stephen Gerrards continental acting on the opening day premier fixtures or how a foul from behind on David Sommeil for Utd at Spurs last night was laughed at in the usual "Your a northern club so go away - you dont get anything in London" fashion),

I don't know if you were actually watching the game properly but it appeared that Gerrard was trying to avoid falling over agaisnt Sheffield U.

And please don't start doing this "Im a poor northerner thing" ... It will only start another North v South argument!

WBSH

Edited by WBSH
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Keane for the Mackhams?

Chelsea early wobbles?

Villa for a top six finish?

No further Allegations of the 'newbs' getting harsh treatment :) from the officials?

(Dave "Harry" Bassett made a comment on SkySprts1 sunday that it would be interesting if someone collated a ratio of penalty decisions given for and against - comparing the "big six" to the minnow clubs?, bares thinking about WBSH?)

Posted

Further evidence on BBC news 24 this morning that outside of the so called big 4 of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool, the media do not even consider any other teams when the sports correspondent stated that Man Utd were the only team in the Premiership with a 100% record intact.

I would have thought that Newcastle's record of played 1, won 1 would also count as 100% but clearly not at the beeb. Shoddy journalism!

(admittedly, Newcastle's 100% record probably won't last beyond the weekend)

Posted

I see from the predictions on the other thread that you guys are already relising that Reading might just have a chance this year and entertain a few people.

Great start imo to win your first game in the top flight after coming back from 2 down inside 20mins then to lose 2-1 to Villa was also a good result as we gave them proper concern despite going down to 10 men after 30mins of the first half for what was not a sending off.

I must admit that our lack of signings in the summer was a concern but they have convinced me that they may just have a good season. Bearing in mind we have a team of unknowns we actually have nearly a team full of internationals so thinks are looking up.

Posted

Further evidence on BBC news 24 this morning that outside of the so called big 4 of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool, the media do not even consider any other teams when the sports correspondent stated that Man Utd were the only team in the Premiership with a 100% record intact.

I would have thought that Newcastle's record of played 1, won 1 would also count as 100% but clearly not at the beeb. Shoddy journalism!

(admittedly, Newcastle's 100% record probably won't last beyond the weekend)

dont bet on it,things can only get better :angry:

Posted

Middlesbrough 0-4 Portsmouth. WOW! :D

Yup I was mightily impressed by that game last night. I went to the Blackburn game and the reason we are winning is that the WHOLE team is playing very well, from goalkeeper all the way to attack. This could be a very good season for us Pompey fans :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!

Yup I was mightily impressed by that game last night. I went to the Blackburn game and the reason we are winning is that the WHOLE team is playing very well, from goalkeeper all the way to attack. This could be a very good season for us Pompey fans :D

I was very impressed last night. I think I'll add Kanu to my Fantasy Football team :)

Looks like Aston Villa and Portsmouth could challenge for a UEFA cup place.

Posted

I was very impressed last night. I think I'll add Kanu to my Fantasy Football team :D

Looks like Aston Villa and Portsmouth could challenge for a UEFA cup place.

I hope so, the way we ended last season and have started this season there is no reason why not. The next 2 days and subsequent dealings in the transfer market will be critical, as, while we may have a good first 16 if we get injuries then we will suffer.

Posted

Still early doors, but mightily impressed and pleased to see some different teams up near the top of the Prem. Just what we need to see, but it remains to be seen if they can maintain the dizzy heights.

Any takers on the first manager to get the boot? Arsene :D Southgate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!

I'd really like Arsene to get the chop :D

Most probably to be Southgate and maybe Coleman and Hughes.

Posted

I think that Mark Hughes is almost certain to be Blackburn manager at the end of the season, but things are quite a bit more unsettled for Coleman.

I agree.

Coleman is very much reliant on the home form of his team. It was very much apparent in his interview after the 5-1 defeat on the opening day that he is pinning his hopes on a repeat of last year. So far so good with an excellent home draw against Bolton, albeit with a last minute penalty and a virtuoso pefrformance by Jimmy Bullard culminating with a win over Sheffield United.

Southgate has a very hard job at Boro. Not only is he new to management it is at a club where he spent a lot of his playing career and it is going to be hard for him.

Posted

West Ham have signed a Major Coup in bringing 2 of the Argentinians to play in the Premiership. Carlos Teves & Mascaraino have both signed for the Hammers. Yippppeeeeee http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

Paul Sherman

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted

Lady P and any other Liverpool fans : what is going on http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush.gif ?

1-0 down at Chelsea and no attempt to force the pace in the last 10 minutes of normal time, let alone the 5 added minutes. Only 1 long ball played despite 2 big strikers and a very slow build up. Oh and Chelsea were down to 10 men.

Possibly too many 'continental' players not used to needing to chase the game. Also why was Crouch not playing from the start?

Hell of a strike by Drogba though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Lady P and any other Liverpool fans : what is going on :) ?

1-0 down at Chelsea and no attempt to force the pace in the last 10 minutes of normal time, let alone the 5 added minutes. Only 1 long ball played despite 2 big strikers and a very slow build up. Oh and Chelsea were down to 10 men.

Possibly too many 'continental' players not used to needing to chase the game. Also why was Crouch not playing from the start?

Hell of a strike by Drogba though!

too many new players at once?
    • Election weather- Still chilly with showers to dodge on May 6th

Voting takes place on May 6th across Britain with Scottish and Welsh parliamentary elections, Mayoral and local councils including for London Mayor. If you've not postal voted, what's the weather for Thursday? Read more here

Jo Farrow
      Jo Farrow
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2021-05-05 09:08:00 Valid: 05/05/2021 0600 - 06/05/2021 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - WEDS 5TH MAY 2021 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
      Nick F

Unseasonably cool & showery theme continues, wet & windy but milder this weekend

Chilly with sunshine & showers by day for the rest of the week, where skies clear at night a frost is likely too. Turning wet & windy over the weekend, but at least it will be a little warmer. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts