Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Delphiniums: A Warning

Posted

Now these spendid plants [not the pink ones: an abomination] are up and growing strongly. Give them a feed of bonemeal water well and protect from slugs. But above all: STAKE EARLY and STAKE OFTEN. Do not be fooled by the wonderful benign weather today...heavy rain and worse still strong/gusty winds in late May/early June when they are much bigger will result in the hollow/fragile stems snapping. Much weepinfg and wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yes indeed acb...They are my favourite flowers. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

They are poisonous though. Not as nasty as their cousins Larkspur, but poisonous nonetheless... B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

slug's and snail's favourites, these. time to start another thread on beer traps, get the buggers drowning :lol:

• 1 month later...
Posted

don't forget (not that you will) that current warm temps when combined with the rain that many parts will inevitably see at some point over the next few days (possibly from sunday onwards) are ideal conditions for slugs and snails. i've just been out with a torch and slaughtered about 50 slugs and snails that were in a feeding frenzy after early evening showers. they were concentrating on kale, broccoli, delphiniums lupins and runner beans. not any more they're not B)

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

ours have only got up to about 8" high yet, but will have to keep an eye on them.

Usually things like hanging baskets get blown to bits here, but with keeping them in the greenhouse for a good while they are the best we have had for a long time, and thankfully we have had a really calm spell so are looking better than all the neighbours :D

So far have only seen smallish slugs which were sprinkled with salt, will have to be on the lookout when we get any showers though.

Going to stop feeding the birds B) - I spent half the afternoon washing guarno off cars and walls, they aren't a bit thankful for food put out for them !

Edited by Verglas

Posted
ours have only got up to about 8" high yet, but will have to keep an eye on them.

delphiniums only 8" high - surely not.