Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A World Without Water

Scribbler

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
This article by Philip Eden, on the Beeb's site really says it all for me.

I don't believe the hype about water shortages. The privatisation of the water industry has allowed individual companies to continually deny their customers guaranteed water supplies, through continued leaks, or not financing a national water grid. Their misuse of statistics to try to highlight drought as a cause, instead of their own failings, is almost crminal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5019846.stm

Well worth a read! The info has been sitting on Philip's site for several months. This wider audience ought, now, to put the water companies to shame, but I'll bet it doesn't. Why? Because they service shareholders through dividends, not water consumers through a decent supply.

Hello there stranger..so this is where you are hiding ....lol,,yes its me

stormchaser1

your prob wondering who i am now lol

Posted

I don't believe the hype about water shortages. The privatisation of the water industry has allowed individual companies to continually deny their customers guaranteed water supplies, through continued leaks, or not financing a national water grid. Their misuse of statistics to try to highlight drought as a cause, instead of their own failings, is almost crminal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5019846.stm

Well worth a read! The info has been sitting on Philip's site for several months. This wider audience ought, now, to put the water companies to shame, but I'll bet it doesn't. Why? Because they service shareholders through dividends, not water consumers through a decent supply.

dont tell me you have forgotten already ,after beating me twice in chess as well tut tut

Posted

Well worth a read!

I couldn't agree more.

However, it does make me wonder - how many of the other stastistics that are fed to us have been massaged? :angry:

there's more than enough water for this country just look at what is being sugested in the news ATM get water out or the thames and problem solved i said this about a month ago but oh dear the uk are so slow GOOD job we dont live in the sahara

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

To extend my original discussion – let’s not forget to include Europe’s problems.

http://www.terradaily.com

Alarm Bells Sound For European Water Supply As Hot Weather Looms

Paris (AFP) Jun 15, 2006

Summer has still to make its official start in Europe, yet many countries are sweating - and it has less to do with the immediate temperature than out of worry for their water supplies. Half a dozen countries are on course for water short ages that will be socially disruptive and economically costly, experts and officials say.

Southern Spain, south-eastern England and western and southern France are viewed as chronically vulnerable, while eyes are anxiously following water availability in parts of Portugal, Italy and Greece, incompletely recovered from the scorcher of three years ago.

In Spain, reservoirs and water tables are at their lowest levels in 10 years, failing to recharge after last year's drought, which was the worst since reliable record-keeping began in 1947. In south-eastern England, reserves of water are only at 54 percent of capacity, after the driest winter since 1963-4.

Local suppliers are scrambling for alternative sources, looking at the possibility of transporting water by tanker ship from Scotland and Norway - and even of building a desalination plant for London.

In France, the authorities have for months been building public awareness that the Atlantic and Mediterranean regions face big problems of water scarcity.

In Italy, most of the country has still to recover from the 2003 drought, a smaller version of which hit northern regions again in 2005. The country is officially classified along with Cyprus, Italy and Spain as "water-stressed," meaning that withdrawal of water is 20 percent more than totally available supplies.

In Portugal, 2005 brought the worst drought in 60 years, prompting the government to propose a programme of dam construction and improved water management.

Ronan Uhel, head of spatial analysis at the European Environment Agency (EAA) in Copenhagen, said "Summers are getting hotter, demand for water is increasing and at the same time, rainfall is decreasing."

The shift in precipitation has been especially felt in the Iberian peninsula, western France, southern Britain and Ireland, which get their rainfall from the warm, moist winds off the Atlantic.

On the other hand, northern latitudes and central and eastern Europe, as well as northern Britain, have had normal or even above-average rainfall this year.

Source: Agence France-Presse