Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May CET

Posted

Morning Richard.

Certainly interesting that they've removed the Feb CET.

Although perhaps in the 'well above' category, its certainly as close to the border of categories as you can get :wallbash: However, with the CET on Net-Wx at 12.64, I dont think it can be disbuted :wallbash:

I wonder what the CET had been if either:

a) The first half of May wasnt so warm, or

:wallbash: The second half of May wasnt so cool.

A month split by opposite ends of the scales, and theoretically (as months usually get warmer as you progress) a flip side month.

Some good rainfall in May as well, although its looking like this may start to devalue somewhat going into June.

Posted
A month split by opposite ends of the scales, and theoretically (as months usually get warmer as you progress) a flip side month.

Some good rainfall in May as well, although its looking like this may start to devalue somewhat going into June.

Morning Chris - yes indeed. That flip side is noteworthy isn't it? The temp gradient normally increases quite sharply in May, so to buck that trend in the way it did was very interesting. I love the fact that we now have glorious blue skies with lush deep green vegetation - the colours are fabulous for the time of year. If June goes on the way it's showing then the green is going to fade away fairly briskly ...

Posted
Hadley have posted up 12.3C for May. That's 1C above the 1971-2000 average so officially in the 'well above' category.

I'm not sure if this is a blip, but they've removed the figure for February. Isn't this the one Philip predicted would be altered? (I'm away from my house so can't check this).

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/research/hadl.../HadCET_act.txt

Just coming back to this, I'm not quite sure what's happened with February. It was originally posted up at 3.7C. This wasn't the month that Philip thought would be adjusted - looking back at my records he thinks Hadley's 4.4C for December 2005 is too low. I'm not sure why February 2006 has now been removed by them, although I'd have thought 3.7C might also prove to have been on the low side? It might be a blip, but I'm wondering if we're going to see an adjustment to the February figure? Philip? Kevin? Others?

http://www.meto.gov.uk/research/hadleycent.../HadCET_act.txt

Posted
Hadley have posted up 12.3C for May. That's 1C above the 1971-2000 average so officially in the 'well above' category.

Errr..no. 1c above average is officially in the 'Above average category'. You're not trying to twist these definitions again are you?

Metoffice have released their monthly summery. England and Wales temperatures were a little above average but about average across Scotland. While slightly above average across Northern ireland.

England and Wales;

"A wet month, especially across East Anglia and parts of Wales where over twice the average rainfall was recorded in some places. Notably warm at times during the first half of the month, but much cooler during the closing days with some overnight ground frost. Some significant thunderstorms, especially in the south on the 10th. Windy with coastal gales early in the second half of the month."

"England & Wales Mean Temperature Series (series began in 1914).

The provisional mean value for the month is 11.7 °C, which is 1.2 °C above the 1961-1990 average,

which is in the above average category."

Scotland;

Cool and unsettled apart from warm spell early in month.

Scotland Mean Temperature Series (series began in 1914).

The provisional value for the month was 8.9 °C, which is 0.5 °C above the 1961-1990 average, which is in the close to average category.

Northern Ireland;

A warm second week - otherwise often rather cool and wet - notably so in the third week.

Northern Ireland Mean Temperature Series (series began in 1914).

The provisional value for the month was 10.4 °C, which is 0.8 °C above the 1961-1990 average, which is in the above average category.

Posted

Richard/Kevin: do you have a link please to the seasonal terms used by the MO to denote temps that vary from the 30 year average (e.g 5c or more below average in winter =very cold etc.etc.)

Many thanks

Regards

Andrew

Posted
Richard/Kevin: do you have a link please to the seasonal terms used by the MO to denote temps that vary from the 30 year average (e.g 5c or more below average in winter =very cold etc.etc.)

Many thanks

Regards

Andrew

Andrew - do you mean this (bottom of the page): http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/guide.html

Re. the April Hadley revision, this was predicted by Philip at the start of May: "Well, when they produced their figure this early before, back in early-Jan, it seemed to be a mistake and was quickly withdrawn. The MO certainly won't have completed their Quality Control procedure this early - it is after all the first working day after the end of the month (it usually takes 5 or 6 days) - and I know that there were a handful of missing observations for the stations that they use. I'm not very good at predicting Hadley's activities, but I reckon the figure on their site will disappear very soon, and come back again, hopefully revised upwards, later in the month. I still fully expect their December figure to be quietly revised in due course ... however hard I try I cannot see where that 4.4 comes from.

Philip"

The Hadley April figure has gone up from 8.5C to 8.6C, and the February figure has been withdrawn entirely. Philip still thinks December was too low.

Edited by West is Best

Posted

Just to report that the Met O have posted the Hadley figure for February back up ... at 3.7C, which is what it was anyway. Not sure what that was all about. April stays at 8.6C from 8.5C.

http://www.meto.gov.uk/research/hadleycent.../HadCET_act.txt

No further changes to report, but we still need to bear in mind that Philip thinks the December Hadley figure is too low.

Posted

Richard many thanks for that. I will try to start this next week once I can get a template sorted out...

Regards

Andrew