Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Using 1 Wire Weather Senosrs

Posted

Hi all, after looking around i found that you can build your own weather station by using Dallas 1 Wire devices that all connect into a box, which then connects into your PC. I already have a Weathwr station but the wind updates only every 3 minutes with an average, which is not usueful when trying to measure gusts. However i found this little gem: http://www.audon.co.uk/1-wire_weather.html

You can buy any sensors you want, it alos comes with complete weather software and it updates around every 0.5 seconds as it uses a direct link to the sensor via a Networking cable. It also will work with weather display so i could carry on using my curent sensors bar the wind, and use this new one which has no downtime at all, its basically instant. Has anybody on here used them, and before i go and spend about £70 upgrading to it any information i should know before hand? Cheers.

Edited by ¤CloudBurst¤

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

this looks interesting. a quick google came up with some very technical sites, not much for ordinary folk. the prospect of having an anemometer that records gusts accurately is appealing. hope someone writes sumething useful in here :blink:

Posted
this looks interesting. a quick google came up with some very technical sites, not much for ordinary folk. the prospect of having an anemometer that records gusts accurately is appealing. hope someone writes sumething useful in here :)

Yes, you can build an entire weather system from using this. You can buy all sorts of sensors that are quite cheap and update instantly. Something that caught my eye was the $33 lightning detector you can get, better still all of these devices work with weather display including the extremely cheap lightning detector. However yes, you do need to do a bit of DIY on the electronics but as i linked, you can by kits that come with everything you need. I am going to buy the wind sensor as tbh as i said mine updates evgery 3 minute which is worse than useless in a Gale scenerio or in a storm etc. I'll post here how i find set up etc, thanks for the interest. 8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Yes, you can build an entire weather system from using this. You can buy all sorts of sensors that are quite cheap and update instantly. Something that caught my eye was the $33 lightning detector you can get, better still all of these devices work with weather display including the extremely cheap lightning detector. However yes, you do need to do a bit of DIY on the electronics but as i linked, you can by kits that come with everything you need. I am going to buy the wind sensor as tbh as i said mine updates evgery 3 minute which is worse than useless in a Gale scenerio or in a storm etc. I'll post here how i find set up etc, thanks for the interest. 8)

unless there's a lurker on these boards, you'll be a bit of a pioneer. there could be a few folk keen to read your updates.