Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Time You Saw Lying Snow In April?

Posted

In west Manchester it was the 15th of April 1998. I saw snow on all 4 days of Easter 1998 and on the Tuesday afterwards.

There was rain on Good Friday which turned to wet snow for a time that evening.

On the Saturday, snow/hail showers broke out and spread southwards across NW england during the late afternoon

On Easter Sunday, it was a cold frosty start and it was a dry morning, the showers rapidly broke out during the afternoon with some quite heavy snow and hail showers

On the Easter Monday, it was mostly dry here during daylight hours but snow showers associated with a trough moved in from the Irish Sea and it was snowing heavily and this gave the covering

On the Tuesday, the little low that moved through Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man leaving a good covering there moved into the NW of England and gave sleet and snow during the early afternoon. By evening it was snowing heavily and a severe weather warning was issued for heavy snow for Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire. Really weird seeing large snow flakes falling, snow on the ground, daffodils in full bloom, blossom on trees.

Jan3103.jpg

Posted

The last time was actually April 8th 2005 during the brief northerly toppler.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00120050408.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00220050408.gif

The 8th started off wet as a cold front passed through, but then gave way to a wonderfully clear day. The evening then saw the arrival of heavy snow showers from the north sea, giving a covering by nightfall. The night was then exceptionally cold for April (in my location 9 miles from the sea) reaching -0.6°C which allowed the snowfall to remain untouched until the next day, though then it did melt rather rapidly by 11am.

The last time before that as far as I can remember, was 1998.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Cleadon, Tyne & Wear, it was the 14th April 1999. Snow fell and a dusting accumulated during the day on the 13th, but melted in the evening as brighter weather spread from the north. A heavy snow shower in the evening produced another dusting, which was still lying at 9:00 the following morning, but was gone by 11am.

The 8th April 2005 didn't produce any settling snow, but there was lying hail at one point.

Before that, the 12th April 1998 produced a surprise snow cover, and before that, you'd have to go back to 1989.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

14th or 15th April 1999, a band of snow moved over Wales, only a dusting, but nice to see.

Posted

There was lying snow here on at least one day during April 1998 so I'm told, I missed it being out of the country. The last time I saw it with my own eyes was in April 1989, about 3cm at 9am, think it was a Saturday but not sure of the date.

Posted

I cant remember any snow lying in April, but I do remember snow flurries on April 3rd 2000, and this year is the 25th anniversary of the late April 1981 snowfall (I was only 4 months old at the time though)

Posted

14th April 1997.

I was expecting my Eldest, and I remember I managed to stop throwing up long enough to take a photo of the snow.

I would go and find the photo, scan it in and post it, but that involves moving... and I cannot be bothered.

Maybe tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

2005 on the 8th. If we're going by met' office criteria of snow lying at 0900 g.m.t it was 2001. The last time there was more than 5cm lying in April was in 2000 when there was an average depth of 8.6cm on the 4th.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

30 minutes ago.

sorry couldn't resist :D

other than that I cant remeber any significant April snowfalls of recent times...

Posted

Have never seen lying snow in April down here in Kent to my recollection! ... yes in the form of snow showers, but it's too warm down here by Arpil to settle.

WBSH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Today!

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

if the met-office can call a white christmas one flake landing on the weather centre roof on Christmas day, then I have my own criteria for lying snow, even if it was 1mm :rolleyes:

Posted
if the met-office can call a white christmas one flake landing on the weather centre roof on Christmas day, then I have my own criteria for lying snow, even if it was 1mm :(

When was the last time you saw lying snow during April at 9am then? :doh::rolleyes::doh::doh:

Posted
When was the last time you saw lying snow during April at 9am then? :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would still have to be 14 April 1999, when at 9am there was a dusting covering just over half the ground.

Yesterday's snow, predictably, did not last the afternoon.

• 2 years later...
Posted
To those people who said "today", how many were under the Met Office criteria ie at 9am? :p :lol:

4cm at 9am in Cleadon on 7 April 2008, the deepest April cover since my records started there in 1993, caused by showers of heavy wet snow between 6 and 7am.

I don't think Norwich would have made Met Office criteria- there was lying snow at 9am on 6 and 7 April but on neither occasion did it cover more than half the ground.

Posted

Yes, 6th April this year was 3 cm at 9 a.m.

Previous April snow was 6 cm in April 1999.

I've seen falling snow in April most years, 2006 for example we had a brief dusting from a heavy shower late in the month.

Posted

April 17th 2008, around 7cm-10cm of lying snow. I can't remember having seen any lying snow before this late in the year in my lifetime. My Grandma said it was the deepest snow for years this late in April :( .

Edited by mark bayley