Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Hot Mid-april Can Get

Weather-history

Posted

The Easter of 1949 (15th-18th April) was the hottest on record. High pressure over northern Europe drew up very warm air from north Africa and in the brilliant sunshine, temperatures soared to maxima of 20+C across most parts of England and Wales on the Good Friday. Manchester recorded 23.3C, Ross-on-Wye 23.9C and Plymouth 21.7C, their highest maxima for those stations recorded for that month. On the Saturday, temperatures soared even higher in the SE, where maxima of 25+C were recorded. 29.4C, the highest ever temperature for April, was recorded at Camden Square in London, whilst 28.9C was recorded in other parts of London. 24.4C was recorded at Nottingham, 23.9C at Birmingham and 26.7C at Dunstable. A cold front swept though the UK during Saturday night with a few showers and thunderstorms in the NE of England, so temperatures were lower on Easter Sunday but even so they were still quite a bit above the average with Whitstable recording 27.8C. Easter Monday was another warm day in the east.

April 1949 had a CET of 10.0 and was the fourth April of the 1940s to have a CET of 10C or greater.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219490416.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

ooo 24.4C in Notts- yes pleeeease! I'm in Amsterdam from 10th-13th. Hope its pleasent then- don't want the raw cold like I got last time there in December!

Posted
Could 30C be reached in April if we had the right conditions?

I imagine it would be possible given the existing record of 29.4c however the chances must be pretty remote. I am uncertain though as to whether the April 1949 heat wave was/is unprecedented. My very vague recollection is that we have had at least 1 instance of 25c in April in the last 25 years.

Mr Data do you happen to know how many instances in the 20th century temps have reached or exceeded 25c in April?

Regards

ACB

Posted
I imagine it would be possible given the existing record of 29.4c however the chances must be pretty remote. I am uncertain though as to whether the April 1949 heat wave was/is unprecedented. My very vague recollection is that we have had at least 1 instance of 25c in April in the last 25 years.

Mr Data do you happen to know how many instances in the 20th century temps have reached or exceeded 25c in April?

Regards

ACB

I seem to recall a very very warm Easter in the mid 1980s. I think it was 1984 with some stations breaking their all-time Easter maxima. But Easter was very late that year (22nd) so that raised the chance of it happening.

I think March is the month of greatest potential extremes, but April is not far behind. It is another month which can yield everything from snow to sunbathing. As an example, two years later (1986) saw a bitterly cold easterly outbreak and the CET of 5.8C was the coldest April for 60 years. Does anyone remember it?

Edited by Metomania

Posted
As an example, two years later (1986) saw a bitterly cold easterly outbreak and the CET of 5.8C was the coldest April for 60 years. Does anyone remember it?

Yes I remember it, it wasn't until the 20th that Manchester recorded a double digit maximum for the first time that month! :lol:

What a cold year 1986 was with 4 significantly below average months: February, April, August and September.

Posted
What a cold year 1986 was with 4 significantly below average months: February, April, August and September.

You are so right. I just checked the data and 1986 was the coldest year in the last 40 years (CET 8.74C). In fact, only 1962 and 1963 were colder since 1922.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Mid/Late April 1893 was quite an exceptional hot spell, temperatures apparently approached or exceeded 27C daily from the 19th until the 25th. 20th April that year saw 28.9C reached at Cambridge, the highest temp ever recorded outside of London.

Also looking at Philip Eden's weatherwise April that year was also very dry with the E & W average just 9.9 mm (17%). Infact March, April, May and June in 1893 had a lack of rain over England and Wales, and saw just 109 mm fall on average over the 4 months - compared to the normal averge of 254mm.

Posted
I seem to recall a very very warm Easter in the mid 1980s. I think it was 1984 with some stations breaking their all-time Easter maxima. But Easter was very late that year (22nd) so that raised the chance of it happening.

I think March is the month of greatest potential extremes, but April is not far behind. It is another month which can yield everything from snow to sunbathing. As an example, two years later (1986) saw a bitterly cold easterly outbreak and the CET of 5.8C was the coldest April for 60 years. Does anyone remember it?

Metomania many thanks: yes I think your recollection is right: I can remember people sunbathing in Surrey...

Regards

ACB

Posted

Intresting how everyone has forgotten a rather recent hot spell in Mid-April.

16th April 2003 saw several places reach 27c and widely in the south temps were recorded at 25c. Everyday between the 15-19th somehwere reached 25c. Here's the set-up, no wonder it got so hot:

http://www.wetterzentraleforum.de/archive/...00120030416.png

http://www.wetterzentraleforum.de/archive/...00220030416.png

Posted

I certainly won't forget mid-April 2003; in fact I think that hot week was for much of the country the most notable weather event that year, not the August hot spell (not as good as 1990 or 1995 here) or January 30th snow (there wasn't any except in the SE/East Anglia and up the east coast).

That week I was in the Fort William area and to experience 25C+ around there in mid-April as I did can surely only have been possible once or twice in the past 100 years? (1984 I think managed similar temps later in the month).

Looking back I remember 1987 being a fantastic April for warm sunny weather, with temps in the 20s and 2-3 weeks of sunshine (March was very cold, and May was decidedly disappointing as I recall which made it even more notable); I remember also the cold snap in April 1989 which came as a real shock to the system as the winter had been incredibly mild, and Easter weekend at the end of March warm and sunny. Then in the first week of April there were frosts of -4C or thereabouts, and one Saturday (I think) morning there was a good 3cm of lying snow- the first since November.

1980s Aprils always seemed to have something, often I remember them being warm and sunny with the odd surprise like that 1989 cold snap. Then those of the early 90s were decidedly unmemorable, 1992 I recall being especially miserable with plenty of rain and a lack of sunshine, but no extremes of temperature. That led conversely to a fabulous May. 1995-98 was another run of interesting Aprils; 1995 started like 1987 but after Easter went very cold with frosts and snow showers; 1997 was another nice warm sunny one; 1998 had just about every type of weather you could imagine (downpours, snow, sunshine).

Since 1999 April seems to have gone back to being a generally unexciting month, with the exception of the 2003 heatwave there hasn't been much of note; the odd snow shower (in 2001 and 2005) or warm day or two (weekend of 24th-25th 2004 was nice) interrupting up a lot of 10-15C temps with the odd bit of sun and rain here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Intresting how everyone has forgotten a rather recent hot spell in Mid-April.

16th April 2003 saw several places reach 27c and widely in the south temps were recorded at 25c. Everyday between the 15-19th somehwere reached 25c. Here's the set-up, no wonder it got so hot:

http://www.wetterzentraleforum.de/archive/...00120030416.png

http://www.wetterzentraleforum.de/archive/...00220030416.png

Was that in the lead up to Easter? Maundy Thursday 2003 I went to see my bro in Southampton and it was roasting in the city. Good Friday was warm and sunny. Then by Easter Saturday at football it had changed to a bitter E'ly wind :rolleyes: .

(Disn't start keeping records until June 2003 so have nothing to fall back on!)

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted
Was that in the lead up to Easter? Maundy Thursday 2003 I went to see my bro in Southampton and it was roasting in the city. Good Friday was warm and sunny. Then by Easter Saturday at football it had changed to a bitter E'ly wind :blush: .

(Disn't start keeping records until June 2003 so have nothing to fall back on!)

If that warm spell in April 2003 had happened just a few days later, we would have had the hottest easter since 1949.

Good Friday (April 18th), was warm and sunny here with a temperature of 19C, but Easter Saturday only reached 8C :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Unfortunately the warmth of April 2003 doesn't show up on my personal weather records for Cleadon as the east coast was kept cooler (about 18C max). However, Lancaster reached a remarkable 24C on the 16th April 2003, which is easily the highest April temperature they have recorded.

Posted
Unfortunately the warmth of April 2003 doesn't show up on my personal weather records for Cleadon as the east coast was kept cooler (about 18C max). However, Lancaster reached a remarkable 24C on the 16th April 2003, which is easily the highest April temperature they have recorded.

Interesting, that wasnt the case here. On the 16th April 2003 it reached 22°C in my location and Im only 9 miles from the coast. The bank holiday weekend was poor though.

• 11 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Notable maxima in April that I have recorded are:

21.3C - Saturday 22nd April 2006

23.4C - Saturday 30th April 2005

22.8C - Saturday 24th April 2004

25.6C - Friday 16th April 2003

20.2C - Thursday 25th April 2002

I know for a fact that there were a lot of nice warm days in April 1999. The 25th was a lovely day followed by thunderstorms on the 26th.

Posted

April maxima >23C from my location in the Chiltern Hills since 1980:

Easter Saturday, 21 April 1984 23C

29 April 1994 23C

20 April 1996 24C

21 April 1996 23C

23 April 2002 24C

24 April 2002 24C

16 April 2003 25C

Plus several 20C/21C over the years.

Edited by Nick H

• 11 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
From the Easter Monday edition of the Times.

Apr49e.jpg

Apr49f.jpg

Apr49g.jpg

Apr49h.jpg

Rslp19490416.gif

Slack southerly, little wind and clear skies with a strong April sun, looks quite pleasent to me.

Posted

Tuesday 25th April 1995. The start of a hot back end of April here in Solihull. 25ºc (77ºf) (I remember it only too well as I lost my Dad to cancer that same day!) and continued into May which then led into an indifferent Summer with hot spells and thunderstorms being rife.

As the saying goes, "Three fine days and a thunderstorm" was definitely etched into Spring/Summer 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Tuesday 25th April 1995. The start of a hot back end of April here in Solihull. 25ºc (77ºf) (I remember it only too well as I lost my Dad to cancer that same day!) and continued into May which then led into an indifferent Summer with hot spells and thunderstorms being rife.

As the saying goes, "Three fine days and a thunderstorm" was definitely etched into Spring/Summer 1995.

The summer of 95 was long and hot ?

I lost loads of pond fish (my first house etc)

My neighbour had his water sprinkler on 24/7 and warped my fence

Posted

It was definitely embeded into the setup of spring 1995, however the summer of 1995 was the driest on record and quite possibly the sunniest as well as the second hotest, so i would'nt say three fine days and a thunderstorm charecterised the summer, more like a month.

Posted

I remember the 2003 heatwave in April, if i remember rightly it reached 25c here on Good Friday, which for Torbay is pretty damn good.

Temperatures last year only hit the 25c mark twice, the highest being 25.7c.