Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Station Software

Posted
okay but I do not see a problem regarding safety either. As OOn has pointed out and also the point about safety was made by the computer people who say there is no safety problem unless the fan does not function correctly. Much the same as with any other electrical piece of equipment that generates heat.

John

I agree - things are built to a higher safety spec than in my Dad's time in any event.

Posted

I've got a sodding fire going 24hours a day in the sitting room and I'm married to a Geordie. I know about danger.

I like the Davis Weatherlink software because it is very flexible, and allows a whole host of outputs. I also like it for its simplicity and prefer this to some of the more graphically fancy options available, but then, I do listen to Radio 4. Not sure if it would work with any other manufacturer's equipment though.

Posted
Safety? Aren't lots of things in the hosue left on all night? They seem to cope ok.

Slightly off topic OON, you should know better ;);)

Its true that most devices left on overnight could potentially cause a fire or overheat, but there mainly small DC low voltage type things like DVD player etc. But think about how much heat a PC generates and the amount of small parts and dynamic things that could potentialy (when on constantly) fail. The fans being the biggest problem, as they will only last for so long when on constanly, and when they decided to die, theres nothing to cool your PC down, and what do you get. Either a dead pc, damaged pc, and theres potential for fire etc. Maybe im just too safety Conscious, but to me (unless you have a system that is water cooled, in which case no fans) then if they fail while theres nobody around, to me you have quite a serious situation. But as Angel15 said things are to a higher safety standard now, so in the case of it just being a short or something similar then the PSU should cut out to prevent it entering the PC. :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
I've got a sodding fire going 24hours a day in the sitting room and I'm married to a Geordie. I know about danger.

I like the Davis Weatherlink software because it is very flexible, and allows a whole host of outputs. I also like it for its simplicity and prefer this to some of the more graphically fancy options available, but then, I do listen to Radio 4. Not sure if it would work with any other manufacturer's equipment though.

I like Weatherlink bar the the fact you can't alter the Bulletin display so you can see you extra sensors which is a major shorting coming.

Another problem I have is the FTP upload timeout so if you host goes down it sits for ages trying too upload. Old versions of the software used to crash out at this time but the later versions have fixed this.

Weather Display I don't like. I never got it to talk any of my stations.

Looked at VW station but the graphing looks very ugly. Pity as the web plugin looks very neat. Poor reviews put me off as well. So I'm sticking with Weatherlink and hopefully Davis will develop it further.

Posted
I like Weatherlink bar the the fact you can't alter the Bulletin display so you can see you extra sensors which is a major shorting coming.

Another problem I have is the FTP upload timeout so if you host goes down it sits for ages trying too upload. Old versions of the software used to crash out at this time but the later versions have fixed this.

Weather Display I don't like. I never got it to talk any of my stations.

Looked at VW station but the graphing looks very ugly. Pity as the web plugin looks very neat. Poor reviews put me off as well. So I'm sticking with Weatherlink and hopefully Davis will develop it further.

Well as for Weather Display i have had no probs at all. It looks horrible yes, but it has so many features to me out performs all other Weather software, once you get to know the interface its an excellent program. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Laptop power consumption may be lower, but the problem with them is that they generate a lot more heat in a smaller box than a desktop pc so if left on all the time won't last particularly long. I wouldn't recommend leaving a laptop on 24/7.

How can they generate a lot more heat if they're only consuming a tenth the power of a desktop? Sure, the corner where the psu is gets warm, but I've never heard about a reliability issue with laptops. I guess you could always raise it up on a ventilated plinth if you're bothered though. Plenty of folk use them as their main pc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Can't say any of the weather station applications have wowed me too much. Plenty of data yes but the interfaces are just horrible. I'm getting quite tempted to write my own application as I'm sure the data pumped into the serial port will just be a simple string of numbers. However, I keep starting new projects and never finishing the last! So maybe not...

Posted
Can't say any of the weather station applications have wowed me too much. Plenty of data yes but the interfaces are just horrible. I'm getting quite tempted to write my own application as I'm sure the data pumped into the serial port will just be a simple string of numbers. However, I keep starting new projects and never finishing the last! So maybe not...
coming from someone who wrights programs :) Ok its not the best of displays but even i have learnt to use it.

Posted
I have to admit that in the computer room at home, we leave all three comps on (standby) the whole time (and the fax etc). I also leave most electrical appliances plugged in which my Dad told me never to do.

He was a fireman in London Fire Brigade and told us that even if the telly is switched off, if it is still plugged in the wall, it could cause a fire.

I think the odds on a modern appliance causing a fire, without matches, are very slim. Though I heard 10 people a year are seriously hurt or worse by fridges.

I think the odds on a modern appliance causing a fire, without matches, are very slim. Though I heard 10 people a year are seriously hurt or worse by fridges.

leaving most things on now a days you use more power in standby than it being on but with advances in tecnology comes greater safty most things now a days have a safty cut off

:)

Posted
leaving most things on now a days you use more power in standby than it being on but with advances in tecnology comes greater safty most things now a days have a safty cut off

:whistling:

Well i have decided i am going to leave my pc on 24/7 now (well soon), and also buy a surge protector <_<

Posted
Paula, if you dont send data to your website... how is WD updated???

Oh, and I suppose you dont need to worry about surges there do you, after all, providing you've kept the 6 live haggis you caught full of Whisky, they'll run in that wheel and generate leccy for hours! :whistling:

woody <_<

sorry for the late reply, have been busy.

what iw as saying was the only time my WD is not updated is if my computer is off. the only time my computer is off is either when windows instals its updates in the middle of the night and restarts automatically or i am doing my mainetenance or if we have a power cut.

the rest of the time it is on 24/7

i don't have any issues with it overheating as every week at some point it is turned off for 5 minutes whilst i get a makeup brush around all the gubbins inside and clean all the dust off etc ;) The fan blades are included in this regime too and in about another couple of months it is due is six monthly total strip down to clean inside stuff.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The amount of power your PC uses depends on the load, what the computer is doing and not what the Power supply is rated at. I'd be surprised if you're using more than 150w max unless you're using it for something else at the same time.

Posted
The amount of power your PC uses depends on the load, what the computer is doing and not what the Power supply is rated at. I'd be surprised if you're using more than 150w max unless you're using it for something else at the same time.

hmm. but all the componants take the same load off the PSU. As all componants use the same voltage all the time, you can see this in system bios. You only drain more power when using devices that do not need power all of the time like a dvd rom drive. Well thats my knowledge anyway. Like when you build a PC you have to calculate the wattage of all the devices to give you the total needed wattage, so that you can by a power supply that will give this power , usually buying one thats slightly higher so it wont short.

Edited by ¤CloudBurst¤