Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April CET

Posted
Something's going on with my friends up the road ... they have ALREADY posted up the official April Hadley figure and it's 8.5C which is 0.1C below Philip Eden's Manley figure.

http://www.meto.gov.uk/research/hadleycent.../HadCET_act.txt

LOL ... the last time they put a figure up this early (the Dec CET in early-Jan) it disappeared two days later and came back as a different figure later in the month.

FWIW, the final Manley CET is 8.69, and my estimate of the Hadley CET is 8.72

Philip

Posted
LOL ... the last time they put a figure up this early (the Dec CET in early-Jan) it disappeared two days later and came back as a different figure later in the month.

FWIW, the final Manley CET is 8.69, and my estimate of the Hadley CET is 8.72

Philip

It is a bit odd as it took them a long time to come out with the February and March values. :)

Posted
Good morning Richard.

The 1961-90 CET for April is 8.0C so that would make it 0.5C above not 0.6C.

No the link you gave is that Dundee website: worthy, no doubt, but not the official figure which is 7.9C for 1961-1990 - so what I put was correct the first time. (The actual figure to the nearest .01 is in fact 7.89C so rounded up to 7.9C)

Hopefully, and I say this even though it doesn't suit me in some ways, they will soon abandon the 1961-1990 figure and move on to the 1971-2000 one.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
No the link you gave is that Dundee website: worthy, no doubt, but not the official figure which is 7.9C for 1961-1990 - so what I put was correct the first time. (The actual figure to the nearest .01 is in fact 7.89C so rounded up to 7.9C)

Hopefully, and I say this even though it doesn't suit me in some ways, they will soon abandon the 1961-1990 figure and move on to the 1971-2000 one.

Apologies WIB I never knew the figures on the Dundee Website were inaccurate.

Posted
Apologies WIB I never knew the figures on the Dundee Website were inaccurate.

Nay probs Dave. I got something totally wrong with you the other day about temps - it's good to admit these things sometimes! Actually, I do like that Dundee site -lots of useful stuff there.

It's interesting to see that Philip reckons Hadley is 8.72C. Does this not mean a revision will indeed happen in due course? Philip, what do you reckon?

Posted
Nay probs Dave. I got something totally wrong with you the other day about temps - it's good to admit these things sometimes! Actually, I do like that Dundee site -lots of useful stuff there.

It's interesting to see that Philip reckons Hadley is 8.72C. Does this not mean a revision will indeed happen in due course? Philip, what do you reckon?

Well, when they produced their figure this early before, back in early-Jan, it seemed to be a mistake and was quickly withdrawn. The MO certainly won't have completed their Quality Control procedure this early - it is after all the first working day after the end of the month (it usually takes 5 or 6 days) - and I know that there were a handful of missing observations for the stations that they use.

I'm not very good at predicting Hadley's activities, but I reckon the figure on their site will disappear very soon, and come back again, hopefully revised upwards, later in the month. I still fully expect their December figure to be quietly revised in due course ... however hard I try I cannot see where that 4.4 comes from.

Philip

Posted

Metoffice have released their April review. Temperatures were a little above average across England & Wales meaning it was the coldest for 5 years. While in Scotland temperatures were about average and coldest since 2001.

Interesting were the notable snowfall on the 10th with 15cm at Tunbridge Wells.

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/2006/april.html

Posted
Metoffice have released their April review. Temperatures were a little above average across England & Wales meaning it was the coldest for 5 years. While in Scotland temperatures were about average and coldest since 2001.

Interesting were the notable snowfall on the 10th with 15cm at Tunbridge Wells.

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/2006/april.html

Hmmm ... as they don't use 'coldest' anywhere in their review, and as it was 'above average' I'm not sure 'coldest' is really the most appropriate term to use? It's a minor quibble, but since it was a mild month, and above average, it would be a little more fair to say 'the least warm' April since 2001 - though as I posted previously that's the mildest succession of five consecutive Aprils since the 1940's. Spin? Interpretation? Moi? :D

Posted
Hmmm ... as they don't use 'coldest' anywhere in their review, and as it was 'above average' I'm not sure 'coldest' is really the most appropriate term to use? It's a minor quibble, but since it was a mild month, and above average, it would be a little more fair to say 'the least warm' April since 2001 -

How about "coolest"? The coolest April since 2001?

Posted
Hmmm ... as they don't use 'coldest' anywhere in their review, and as it was 'above average' I'm not sure 'coldest' is really the most appropriate term to use? It's a minor quibble, but since it was a mild month, and above average, it would be a little more fair to say 'the least warm' April since 2001 - though as I posted previously that's the mildest succession of five consecutive Aprils since the 1940's. Spin? Interpretation? Moi? :D

How about Coolest?

Surprising it was above average, given the lack of any notably high maxima- I guess the lack of frost and the second half's warm nights were the reason. Certainly my perception was of an excessively average month, lacking the serious attempt at a 21C that we get in most Aprils, any warm sunny days (the sunniest days were the coldest ones- that's a hallmark of winter months to me) or after the first few days, cold nights. April 2001 certainly felt much colder than this one- maxes of 7-8C midmonth with wind and rain- nasty month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Very dull month- lack of April showers, lack of frosts, lack of warm spells - lack of anything good! Well apart from the obvious longer daylight hours!

Posted
How about "coolest"? The coolest April since 2001?

I'd settle for that! Still seems a bit weird to use of an above average month, but still - just me being churlish probably.

Someone commented on the maxima, but in fact from the 12th to the 29th the maximum average for the time of year was exceeded every day. Having said that, it's the high minima after the 12th of the month that made such an impact on the CET I think: http://www.climate-uk.com/graphs/0604.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Strange how regional differences can be so marked: in the North East the first third was remarkable for its convective storms (including a big snowstorm on the 8th) and the final two thirds were mostly sunny and quite warm.

Posted
Strange how regional differences can be so marked: in the North East the first third was remarkable for its convective storms (including a big snowstorm on the 8th) and the final two thirds were mostly sunny and quite warm.

Yup, that storm was something else. It even produced some CG strikes in parts of southern County Durham (away from my reporting radius, as usual).