Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow/wintry Precipitation Reports, February 23rd 2006

Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia

snow is stopped around 3pms todays :) but at least the me is had very prolonged heavy snow fall. pity it is not settleds :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
Jealous of you Casper! I could make it to Swindon by 7.... *thinks about it*

Died down for 10 minutes but becoming increasingly heavy now, snow making ground colder, starting to settle albeit slushy. But it's a good start

temp 1c

:angry: The pics were taken near Liddington hill just south Swindon close to the M4 NR J15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Had quite heavy snow about 4pm til 5.30pm though ground was wet so only a "dusting" of the white stuff.

Tis chilly and it will no doubt freeze but I suspect we wont get much more here - it's a miricle to get a dusting here!

Posted
Had quite heavy snow about 4pm til 5.30pm though ground was wet so only a "dusting" of the white stuff.

Tis chilly and it will no doubt freeze but I suspect we wont get much more here - it's a miricle to get a dusting here!

I am often amused by the phrase a 'dusting' when its very wet. I think of dusting in terms of dryness, as in dusting of flour or icing sugar.

I do believe we should reserve the term with snow for those sub zero conditions when very small amounts lie for ages without any thawing.

end of rant

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Very light snow here.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Urban and low-level so no surprise, but never better than sleet or sleety rain here at any time today. Miserable. Stopped entirely now, though pretty much continuous through daylight hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
I am often amused by the phrase a 'dusting' when its very wet. I think of dusting in terms of dryness, as in dusting of flour or icing sugar.

I do believe we should reserve the term with snow for those sub zero conditions when very small amounts lie for ages without any thawing.

end of rant

John

And I'll second that, John.

Light rain earlier has turned to wet sleet, temp' is 1.3c.

T.M

Posted
Been some fairly heavy snow this afternoon which turned to sleet then back to rain.Ever so often it turns back to snow again. :)

The hills around Swindon are white due to the higher altitude allowing the snow to settle, i've taken the kids up there to have a look about as they 'pine' for snow.Some good quality snow about 3" deep.Seems wierd as the hills are only about 2 miles from where we live.

family101.jpg

family100.jpg

This is the classic case of everywhere gets snow as long as you're 2 miles out of Swindon. Its dry now. Hasn't been any snow for a few hours and there's no snow on the ground. But looking at the hills arounds Swindon they are white:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

snow for a good while today before it changed to rain, then snow, then sleet and then rain- a light cover this morning on cars and some paths and grass soon melted :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm not sure why, and it beats me, but there are occassionally snow pellet type things falling. Not sure exactly what they are though, can't be sure it's snow but it's made of ice!

Posted

had snow this morning in halifax then turned to sleet for the majority of the day with some wet snow but as i left work it was wet snow again and it's meant to turn to snow later tonight again for tomorrow so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
I'm not sure why, and it beats me, but there are occassionally snow pellet type things falling. Not sure exactly what they are though, can't be sure it's snow but it's made of ice!

Graupel?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Graupel?

Could well be, now it's sleet - graupelly stuff it mixing with rain, I find it highly unusual considering my latitude and height, I would have expected complete rain until the early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Could well be, now it's sleet - graupelly stuff it mixing with rain, I find it highly unusual considering my latitude and height, I would have expected complete rain until the early hours.

well I got snow today and I am only 8 metres above sea level, so anything could happen! :)