Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is Your Grass Yellow??

kippure

Posted

Some thing thats been mentioned to me over the past few winters.

Usually when it gets really cold for a sustained period ,grass stops growing and nearly die,s hence its yellow appearance.

Just wondering if thats the case in other peoples locations. I remember a programme about the Scottish Highlands and a farmer saying that in a normal winter pre 80s that the grass would completely die off.

Natures sign of cold weather, but how often do we see it nowadays?

Edited by kippure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi K,

Our grass has gone partially yellow, although some green shoots are clearly visible...I think that the last time it died-off was in 2001. Most years since I've been here (Moving to Narnia after Aslan had taken-it upon himself to spoil everything [1988], was never a clever move on my part!), the grass has remained pretty verdent all year... :D

Posted

The grass outside our block of flats is yellow - abuse from dogs.

Posted

in the last week or so the grass has started growing again as the temps have gone up a little and the corn fields have greened up as well but some of the fields are looking a bit sick probablly duer to a few days of cold earlyer on and that just stresses the plant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

My grass is very very green, and quite thick as well

Posted
My grass is very very green, and quite thick as well

If your grass is green and very thick,its deducted that in your area that it hasnt been cold over a given period ,mild to say the least, growth seems to be not affected at all, in all you,ve been having quite pleasant weather. :) .....so the grass says :o

Posted

My grass is looking good....should be after all the de-thatching and re-seeding I did last year. Kept it nicely mowed too......gave my all to the lawn last year!

Escallonias have gone yellow though. :whistling:

Posted
My grass is looking good....should be after all the de-thatching and re-seeding I did last year. Kept it nicely mowed too......gave my all to the lawn last year!

Escallonias have gone yellow though. :(

Expect a little slow down in grass growth over the next 10 days if the cold lasts any length of time. ;)

Edited by kippure

Posted
The grass outside our block of flats is yellow - abuse from dogs.

Ah, but did you know it's only caravanes that turn the grass yellow..something to do with more acidity in their urine. Dogs just stain lamposts ;)

* caravanes actually means female dogs :(

Edited by Mondy the clumsy

Posted
If your grass is green and very thick,its deducted that in your area that it hasnt been cold over a given period ,mild to say the least, growth seems to be not affected at all, in all you,ve been having quite pleasant weather. :) .....so the grass says ;)

Spot on. No snow, had a few frosts but no lying snow. And if theirs any rain around we usually get it. I was infact thinking of cutting it last weekend when we had a nice few sunny days.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
Spot on. No snow, had a few frosts but no lying snow. And if theirs any rain around we usually get it. I was infact thinking of cutting it last weekend when we had a nice few sunny days.

Evening Steve .B

Dont cut it just yet. Hold off till this cold weather goes "march" :p :lol:

Seriously wait till it becomes a little milder, however since this will be its first cut, just give it a trim.

If you cut it real tight and the weather goes cold, damp again, moss might get in on your lawn and that would be a disaster :p

Posted
Evening Steve .B

Dont cut it just yet. Hold off till this cold weather goes "march" :p :lol:

Seriously wait till it becomes a little milder, however since this will be its first cut, just give it a trim.

If you cut it real tight and the weather goes cold, damp again, moss might get in on your lawn and that would be a disaster :p

Cheers for the advise Kippure, just the excuse I needed :D

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

This cant be good, my grass has gone really yellow :(

I know it does this during winter and it has been very cold here ,but i actually think its dying :(

This happened before and going on what i hear it really is a sign of colder weather :(:(:D:D

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

The grass out the front is yellow in places, it looks like its got highlights :)

Edited by button04

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

My grass was white this morning, but it looks green now, no hint of yellow I'm afraid...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
My grass is like a thick mat. I'm going to need to take a fork over it and pierce holes in it so that some moisture gets down into it. The grass has been dry since this time last year. It dried out this time last year and ended up rock solid. Now when it rains the water runs off it, the soil is solid underneath.

So, is it the right thing to do to aerate it?

Yes, because the grass roots need air and plus the air holes you have pierced will allow the water to infiltrate into the ground more easily.

Posted
My grass is like a thick mat. I'm going to need to take a fork over it and pierce holes in it so that some moisture gets down into it. The grass has been dry since this time last year. It dried out this time last year and ended up rock solid. Now when it rains the water runs off it, the soil is solid underneath.

So, is it the right thing to do to aerate it?

Careful of getting bald patchs. :o You should really get a rotater in and dig it up. Then add alot of really rotten compost. Turn it in well . Then plant a complete new lawn. Spring is,nt here yet so its not to late. :D

Posted

Our grass is beginning to get a yellowy tint to it. There's been no rain for 12 days. The only precipitation has been half an inch of snow that evaporated into thin air last Sunday and precious few snow grains since. The ground is bone dry thanks to the constant wind, it's even cracking in places a-la summer heatwaves!!

Posted

decided to cut mine yesterday not sure if thats a bit early but it was so dry clouds of dust was blowing out from the mower just shows how dry it is here

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Green and revolting healthy looking needs cutting but this weekends rain will take care of that.

Posted

Saw our local council cutting the grass yesterday - i usually go by them.

But, like all councils, the job is only half done!

Just to add, our back lawn is not so much yellow, but burnt patches everywhere - dog pee. Needs a bloody good downpour to neutralize the acid fall from our pups' wee..

Edited by Mondy the clumsy

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

When I was in Slovakia the other week, some patches of grass where the snow had melted looked decidedly brown rather than yellow - so dead. Though snow cover in Eastern Europe often persists throughout the winter if it's cold enough - which it seems to have been this winter.

I remember at the end of a few the cold winters in the 80s, the grass in my parents garden in Kent looking rather yellow, 1986 and 1987 spring to mind - a pyrocantha bush and a few other plants got killed off in the severe cold spell of Jan 1987, due the day max temp failing to rise above -6C during a 2/3 days and it dropping to below -10C on several nights - those were the days ;)