IGNORED

Newbee Needs Help

Aris

Posted
  • Location: Athens (St Stefanos region, 370 m above sea), Greece

Hi guys,

I am new in this forum, so hello to everyone! :blink:

I am an owner of a Wireless Vantage Pro2 with Standard Radiation Shield Weather Station which I have installed on my house's roof in Athens, Greece.

I would appreciate if you could tell me why the station can not forecast the snow fall and why the snow sign never appears even if it is heavily snowing outside.(only the rain sign appears)

I am sure that all the set up parameters are correct (my home's attitude, lattitude, time zone.... etc etc)

I have also check with other instruments the temp & the humidity sensors for the possibility of the need of calibration but everything seems to work fine.

Any advise from you will be highly appreciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Hi guys,

I am new in this forum, so hello to everyone! :blink:

I am an owner of a Wireless Vantage Pro2 with Standard Radiation Shield Weather Station which I have installed on my house's roof in Athens, Greece.

I would appreciate if you could tell me why the station can not forecast the snow fall and why the snow sign never appears even if it is heavily snowing outside.(only the rain sign appears)

I am sure that all the set up parameters are correct (my home's attitude, lattitude, time zone.... etc etc)

I have also check with other instruments the temp & the humidity sensors for the possibility of the need of calibration but everything seems to work fine.

Hello and welcome to NW

My weather station hasn't got a symbol for snow. Just rain.

I could be wrong but I don't think any weather station will show snow.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

Hi,

I am sure the snow sign is there and the manual refers to that sign.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Hi,

I am sure the snow sign is there and the manual refers to that sign.

Hi.. does it not say in the manual how to switch the different areas on... it might use the 0°C temperature to get the snow reading, Last time it snowed was it below 0°C?

Posted
Hi guys,

I am new in this forum, so hello to everyone! :)

Well, I've got a VP2 and it forecasts snow ok. Yesterday it forecast it too...not sure how it comes up with the forecast, but it does. I'm sure Davis would happily take you through how it works, and why it doesn't work when it should. Sounds like it's faulty in that respect. I've always found them very helpful either on the phone of via email.

Posted

The last time it started snowing (yesterday) the temp was 1 C and three hours later it reached the 0 C.

Sorry Stephen but I cant understand, what to you mean by switching areas??

PS. How can I type the degree (0) sign? :closedeyes:

I have already sent an e-mail to Davis and I am waiting for their response.

Edited by Aris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

To type the ° sign, hold ALT and press 4 5 8 7 4 4 on the numbers keypad on the right. :D

Posted
To type the ° sign, hold ALT and press 4 5 8 7 4 4 on the numbers keypad on the right. :D

Thanks!!! ° :closedeyes: °

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
The last time it started snowing (yesterday) the temp was 1 C and three hours later it reached the 0 C.

Sorry Stephen but I cant understand, what to you mean by switching areas??

I have already sent an e-mail to Davis and I am waiting for their response.

Does it have an option for which symbols you can use? rain or snow (although that's probably a bit complexed for a weather station)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Errmm why are taking notice what it forecasts. Does it record the temps correctly?? If it does forget about the weather predictions they're just a joke.

Davis haven't taken your area into account over forecasting but basically it's a gimmick.

Posted
Errmm why are taking notice what it forecasts. Does it record the temps correctly?? If it does forget about the weather predictions they're just a joke.

Davis haven't taken your area into account over forecasting but basically it's a gimmick.

So true, WS forecasting is based on pressure trends, so you may or may not get rain in low pressure. If it is a downward trend below 1010mB it will always forecast rain.

Posted

not absolutely true Stephen, the extract from Davis below gives the full explanation

'WeatherLink includes two forecast features – a forecast icon and a scrolling text message. Both use the following variables to generate this forecast: barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, rainfall, temperature, humidity, latitude and longitude, and time of year.'

so most of the variables your Davis reports are used. I have not seen it show snow on mine but then there are few occasions when it would apply here anyway.

Notice though it has no content for your height above sea level. That is important.

You are better off looking at the GFS product for Greece, or your local centre for an idea of when to expect snow.

Good luck

regards

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
To type the ° sign, hold ALT and press 4 5 8 7 4 4 on the numbers keypad on the right. :blink:

it also works if you press ALT and then 0, 1, 8 and then 6- an easier number to remember :)

Posted
not absolutely true Stephen, the extract from Davis below gives the full explanation

'WeatherLink includes two forecast features – a forecast icon and a scrolling text message. Both use the following variables to generate this forecast: barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, rainfall, temperature, humidity, latitude and longitude, and time of year.'

so most of the variables your Davis reports are used. I have not seen it show snow on mine but then there are few occasions when it would apply here anyway.

Notice though it has no content for your height above sea level. That is important.

You are better off looking at the GFS product for Greece, or your local centre for an idea of when to expect snow.

Good luck

regards

John

Ah thanks for that John.. I always assumed they we're all the same. I own an Oregon, probably says everything!

Posted

Thanks for your feedback guys! :)

John, what do you mean by ''it has no content for your height above sea level?

In the set up mode of the VANTAGE PRO2, you are requested to input the correct height above sea level of the station's installation site.

:( I quess I bought this weather station to have my personal idea of when to expect snow/rain in my area and not to depend on weather channels, web sites.... etc, which are forecasting the same weather for the whole city.

During the last 6 days, the south suburbs of Athens had mostly sunny days with light rain sometimes, and in my house (nothern suburb) it was snowing, sometimes all day long!

PIT, regarding the station's temp readings, I have checked with other temp. measuring instruments and they seem to work fine.No calibration needed for the time being.

Posted
Thanks for your feedback guys! :)

John, what do you mean by ''it has no content for your height above sea level?

In the set up mode of the VANTAGE PRO2, you are requested to input the correct height above sea level of the station's installation site.

:( I quess I bought this weather station to have my personal idea of when to expect snow/rain in my area and not to depend on weather channels, web sites.... etc, which are forecasting the same weather for the whole city.

During the last 6 days, the south suburbs of Athens had mostly sunny days with light rain sometimes, and in my house (nothern suburb) it was snowing, sometimes all day long!

PIT, regarding the station's temp readings, I have checked with other temp. measuring instruments and they seem to work fine.No calibration needed for the time being.

hi Ars

What I meant was that the programme it runs to tell you, supposedly, what the weather is going to do, even though you put the height in, has no direct input of your height to say will it be rain or snow.

regards

John