Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January 1987 - How Was It For You

Posted
On Saturday 10th January 1987 snowflakes began to fall on Essex. As little as 48 hours later the county was at a standstill. ........................

Would love to know how your area coped with the last notable Siberian Blast.

Paul Sherman

i remember it well. had returned to work after a long xmas break and for a week had seen the possible build up of a cold snap. little did we realise how bad it would be. the snow started to fall in the mid-morning and within a very short time had settled. from my drawing office window i watched the site carpark gradually change to a white blanket. the walk home was extremly difficult. for the next week it seemed as if the snow would never stop. the iciles were massive and looked very dangerous. cars were buried in drifts which made them unrecogniseable. we had to still go to work, but some schools were shut. the local shops seemed to run out of food, but the supermarkets were pretty well stocked. when the thaw eventually arrived it seemed as if the winter had lasted a lifetime. memories of that year will always spur me on to believe this country can see decent snowy winters. hard to believe that we were not to see virtually any more snow for over a decade.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I was 9 at the time, and back then, it seemed to snow every winter, so 87 didnt seem all that special to me :cold: If of course if I had known that the only other big snow event would have been in 1991, I would have made the most of it :lol:

Although, having said that, I do remember a winter at around that time when the condensation inside my bedroom window froze up, and we were told at school not to stand under icicles incase they fell on top of us - that could well have been 1987.

• 1 month later...
Posted

I was only 6 at the time, but I do remember lots of snow and my mum coming to collect me from school as it was closed.

Edited by Sunshine

Posted

I was living in NW Surrey (Byfleet near Weybridge) and working in central London I remember bitterly cold days and amazing sever frosts (even in central London we had ice days). However in my part of Surrey and in central London there was very little snow (about 1/2" in Byfleet). However in east and south east London there was heavy and disruptive snow.

I have never forgotten the attitude of my employers (a small firm of solicitors whose partners lived in north and west London where there was little snow) towards a secretary who faced atrociuos conditions trying to coomute from Faversham Kent by train. She was often late and was once trapped by blixxards. The poor woman became ill and was off sick but she was regarded as a malingerer as the partners were unable to comprehend that condition elsewhere in the south east were dreadful.

Regards

ACB