Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

23rd June 1993

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I doubt that anyone will be able to remember this, but I remember a day in Tyne & Wear (23 June 1993) when the clouds had a distinctly pink appearance throughout the day. It was a day with heavy showers, some sunshine, and thunder occurred in Yorkshire that day.

Although I remember 1993 as having a relatively thunder-free summer, there was a thunderstorm during the second week of August 1993 in Scarborough that also featured pink clouds, shortly after midday.

I don't remember seeing any pink skies (barring sunsets) since, could this have had something to do with the dust from Mount Pinatubo during Summer 1993?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I have just researched any eruption from Mount Pinatubo and have found that there was an eruption on 18th May 1993! It was very minor with no major damage but apparently there wereblood-red sunrises in North America and parts of western Europe. That sums it up a little!

Talking of thunderstorms in 1993, do you remember any sever lightning storms on Friday 17th April that year?

Posted

1993 was the year that I overcame my fear of storms. It was in the summer holidays so probably August. In the afternoon I was at home alone during a storm (nothing bad), but in the evening I walked home from a friends' house at about 21.00 with steaming heat and a huge CB encroaching from roughly the SW. I remember it towering towards Westbury and me walking quicker as thunder became louder. I saw a few flashes as I neared home but what happened next I'll never forget. I got home and went up to my bedroom, just as I looked out of my window a huge bolt struck in the field behind my house :wallbash: . From then on I have been hooked instead of scared :unsure: !!

• 5 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The eruption of Mount Pinatubo in 1993 is what caused the pink sky, the eruption lowered global temperatures by 0.2C due to the Suphur Dioxide released by the eruption reacting with water vapour to form Suphuric Acid which reflects sunlight back into space.