Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Winter Discussion

Posted

It would be interesting to see what the overnight minima’s will be on Thurs, Fri, night. The ride to work could be adventurous to say the least. :D

Posted

Well it sounds like winter has already started by the sound of things if thoughs charts come off it will be good but if things carry on like are what do you think winter will be like. Does anyone think a 63 can happen this winter. A colder one looks more likely in my opinion at the moment

Posted
Well it sounds like winter has already started by the sound of things if thoughs charts come off it will be good but if things carry on like are what do you think winter will be like. Does anyone think a 63 can happen this winter. A colder one looks more likely in my opinion at the moment

Maybe, but it won't be colder than 1963! Can't be - due to Global Warming, whether caused by human interference or natural warming.

Posted

This has been asked so many times. :D And it's not your fault but I wish it wasn't asked all the time. Let's try and forget 62/63 and concentrate on this winter. If it's worse then that won't change 62/63 it will just be something to compare it to. Or next winter people will say "is it going to be as bad as 2005/2006. The 62 winter was by the sounds of it unique and although this year could see a v. wintry spell it won't be the same as then. It would be nice to have something LIKE it or even BETTER. Give it a month and we will have a better idea of the winter. ;)

Posted
Maybe, but it won't be colder than 1963! Can't be - due to Global Warming, whether caused by human interference or natural warming.

well bet global warming doesnt effect lapland this year:)

Posted

I was reading in the paper today, that because it was a warm summer, a warm autumn, its gonna be a freezing winter. Just like winter 62/63. Can't remember the forecasters name, but it was in The People anyways. No mild on the cards this winter. Mwahhaahaha.

Posted

Permenant frost seems a possibility in Greenwich today as I look out my window. There is an area in the park that does not recieve sun during the day and it is still frost covered. Probably says more about ground temps than it does about air temps.

Posted
Not a nice combination? Blizzards and Drifting snow! Not GOOD! WHAT!

Have you been out in the hills when there are blizzards? I haven't, but I have heard accounts of whiteout conditions. That is where the clouds and ground merge into one shade and you become dangerously dis-oriented.

Also I can tell you it's no fun skiing during a blizzard!

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
Have you been out in the hills when there are blizzards? I haven't, but I have heard accounts of whiteout conditions. That is where the clouds and ground merge into one shade and you become dangerously dis-oriented.

Also I can tell you it's no fun skiing during a blizzard!

I won't go skiing in bristol next weekend then.

Posted

hi EITS oh dear you've really started it now! :D but have to say the synoptics are very similar

of course anything like 63 would cause a state of emergency to be called ;)

personally i don't want another 1963 and would be quite happy with another 78/79 set up, i think even the net weather family would get bored of the snow and cold, did i really say that! :)

Hi Steve,

I have just got in from work and am trying drastically to catch up with this thread 14 pages since in went out!

I have snipped your post for ease as this is what affects me most in my job as i work at the most northerly mainlaind UK port, but i would like to know more about this bit i quoted from you.

in general i get the fact that coastal areas in the north, north east and north west will get a windy spell? i know it is still a way off yet, but what sort of speeds would these winds need to be to produce this wind chill?

Any snow we get is always blown away so i am not too worried about snow, if we get it, it is a bonus :D

Perhaps I went a bit OTT with the -30C- anyway- realistically we have a potential -12C windchill

This is the NWS image for Windchill- assume the surface temps are 0c which is ~ 30F-

Go down the 30F coloumn and go to 40 MPH sustainded winds but gusting around 60MPH-

Celsius to Fahrenheit Conversion Chart

Celcius converter

windchill.gif

At 30F with that wind we are looking at -12C-

thats still one hec of a windchill- if you start getting surface temps of below say -5C - which isnt out of the question in scotland then windchill values could be as low as -20C which is cold wherever you are ....

regards

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
To me this run is not good for Eastern England because the real cold air is shifted west is it not? :D

It's not good for my area either, well actually i would say borderline, but to be honest it will be cold and that is good enough for me, how many times can we say in the last ten years the set up has been like this, We still have three months to think about snow.

Posted
To me this run is not good for Eastern England because the real cold air is shifted west is it not? :D

well all that could change by friday we just have to wait and see as usual hopefully we will bare the brunt of it in sheffield come friday i can only hope ;):)

Posted
OOOOH ECK!

may i print this off and take it into work? If this is indeed the case then we are at severe risk stood out on an exposed pier, i know we have warm floation suits and gloves (albeit cruddy ones) but faces etc are exposed so if the wind is not enough to stop the ferry sailing, we could well be stood out in that for at least 20 minutes at a time and handling wet ropes etc.

well i guess you would have the day of to be honest i doubt you will be able to work in gales/severe gales and snow to be honest and the windchill would be a big factor as well.

Posted
GFS snow line charts from wetter3.de seem to concur with your thoughts Steve ... even to lower levels in the South on Friday morning with exception of the NE like you say. Though things may change for the better (or maybe worse) over the coming days, but the 06z isn't all that bad for snow potential :-

... but there's scope for better snow potential if the low ends up a little further East bringing colder air further east but then we could have a problem with flooding along the shallow North Sea coasts if it did looking at those winds in the West on the fax chart.

is that 5 in inches because if that is that looks like its right over us in sheffield :D

Posted
hi EITS oh dear you've really started it now! ;) but have to say the synoptics are very similar

of course anything like 63 would cause a state of emergency to be called :)

personally i don't want another 1963 and would be quite happy with another 78/79 set up, i think even the net weather family would get bored of the snow and cold, did i really say that! :)

I was in Scotland in 1963 and never saw how bad it was down here. I didn't believe the sea froze until I was shown a photo. No I don't want it that cold but surely nobody that loved snow could ever get bored with it no matter how long it lasts. A Finnish boyfriend I had years ago never got bored with constant snow and ice so I don't reckon we would. Not till at least April anyway :D

Posted
hes saying it will be rain on the EA coast, and a mix of rain, sleet and wet snow for the rest of EA.

well don't give up hope i can remember the forecasters saying oh it will only snow on high ground here and we ended up getting 10cm last november here.

anything can happen with the weather as well no so you could get 5 to 10 inches after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
hes saying it will be rain on the EA coast, and a mix of rain, sleet and wet snow for the rest of EA.

I agree to a point. It will be rain, sleet and hail on the coast, but inland it will be snow I feel. This is a great setup for everywhere :D