Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Winter Discussion

Posted

Hello everyone, I don't know if this is the proper thread to ask this question in to get a reply as there seems to be a multitude dealing with the present conditions.

I was not a forum member last year and have not experienced the disappointment a lot of you had when fabled cold spells in GFS FI territory failed to materialise. :(

My question would be that the gfs models indicated this cold spell from 11 days ago and it has delivered. The gfs is continuing to struggle to bring us back to a milder zonal scenario. Does anyone think that the tables have turned and that cold spells forecast in FI are more likely to materialise than any warmer/milder zonal weather that may show up.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts :rolleyes:

Colin

Posted
Hi all, it doesn't look like this initial cold snap will last long, maybe into middle of next week. I have been hearing reports of another rather cold snap from around the 10th to mid December.

Does anyone have any views or further info on this?

Cheers, rib.

I would call this a cold 'spell' but that's just me beinga pedant... Calling it a 'big freeze' as they do on BBC breakfast is foolish imho!

The 10th December cold snap has been touted a lot and i believe it is being picked up on FI on the GFS... It also makes sense with these synoptics as they often 'recycle'...

Posted
Good to see alot of Eastern Europe with snow cover now, and I'd expect to see cover extend a little further West over Germany with this arctic plunge. Seems to be a marked snowless chunk out of W'ern Russia though around Moscow - where it seems WAA from SE Europe/NW Asia has kept things above average there - it looks to stay that way it seems with the trough over W'ern/Central Europe continuing to pump mild air North into that area:

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Took me ages to find us on that map Nick :rolleyes: ( I don't do Maps, just ask my Husband )