Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Gardening Newsletter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

Mods: Please delete/ transfer etc. if unsuitable.

My mate and I have been producing a monthly newsletter over the past four years, initially for the benefit of my regular clients (whom I garden/ landscape for), but in the last three years, for all to see:

www.angelfire.com/tv2/bloomingreat

e-mail your views to:

bloomingreat@postmaster.co.uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/bloomingreat/

Hope its OK to post link? :)

Posted

hi BB

Like it

seems like a nice idea to have on here, but you would have to ask Paul about it. I'm sure, like me, there are plenty of people who enjoy gardening but like a bit of advice now and again.

cheers

John

Posted

My concern for the garden over the Winter months is the rain. I'm almost exclusively into food crops - at the moment in a 15' x 20' raised garden reclaimed from lawn a year ago. (I'm live in a victorian terrace house - rented) My concern over the Winter period is the heavy leaching from rain on bare soil - ie washing out a lot of 'goodness' effort put into it over the summer. I tried mustard last year, which is generally recomended, and also alfalfa (both of which I got from a wholefood shop). Well, the mustard flowered very early (it was probably rape), far too early to dig in. I left it over the Winter. Not very impressive come the spring. However the alfalfa had died over the Winter (as might expect), but the work it had done on the soil structure was very impressive. Alfalfa is supposed to be excellent at bringing up nutrient from very deep roots. I've heard similar for red clover. I'm planning to sow with red clover this year. This operation makes a lot of sense I think. Where can I get red clover seed?

Posted
My concern for the garden over the Winter months is the rain.  I'm almost exclusively into food crops - at the moment in a 15' x 20' raised garden reclaimed from lawn a year ago. (I'm live in a victorian terrace house - rented)  My concern over the Winter period is the heavy leaching from rain on bare soil - ie washing out a lot of 'goodness' effort put into it over the summer.  I tried mustard last year, which is generally recomended, and also alfalfa (both of which I got from a wholefood shop).  Well, the mustard flowered very early (it was probably rape), far too early to dig in.  I left it over the Winter.  Not very impressive come the spring.  However the alfalfa had died over the Winter (as might expect), but the work it had done on the soil structure was very impressive.  Alfalfa is supposed to be excellent at bringing up nutrient from very deep roots.  I've heard similar for red clover.  I'm planning to sow with red clover this year.  This operation makes a lot of sense I think.  Where can I get red clover seed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not too sure, but try the classified section of gardening magazines - and look for green manure ads. Meanwhile, I'll try and find a supplier for you. :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
  Where can I get red clover seed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chiltern Seeds sell Red Clover seed, at least they did a couple of years ago.

T.M